It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: wheel lathe, quartering machine, or both?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:37 am 

The Sellers Wheel Lathe which was at Rio Vista was sold up to Oregon Some of parts were stored outside the Blimp Hanger at Tillamook a few years ago. I do no believe those big late model Sellars machines had journal turning speeds. The machine at Spencer Shop which was donated by Jerry Jacobson is about the same machine. Interesting machines- which have 2 vertical DC drive motors and no physical connection between the headstocks except the driver wheel set. Years ago a electrically complicated drive system but now easy with inverter drive technology.
There was a locomotive driver wheel lathe in Arizona advertised by a machinery dealer who want big $$$ for it might still be for sale

Post subject: Re: wheel lathe, quartering machine, or both?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:19 am 

The wheel lathe from the Birmingham shop belongs to me and was on loan to the Claytor Bros. to help with their steam program. When NS decided to exit the steam game I agreed to loan it to the GCRR with the same terms that the Claytors agreed to which was that others could get their drivers turned for the out of pocket cost to the GCRR and that they would install it and have it operational promptly.

For a variety of reasons the GCRR did not accomplish the installation so I agreed to lend it to the NNRR on the same terms. It now sits in Ely Nev. awaiting installation.

As Paul Harvey would say.............now you know the rest of the story.

Ross Rowland

P.S. I bought it for $ 100 from the N&W RR in 1968 as it was about to be hauled away ( by the scrap dealer ) from the roundhouse in Conneaut,Ohio when the N&W was in the process of closing that facility.