It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: O/T LNE bobber caboose drawing needed.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:50 am 

looking good ! I like the railings & ladder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:29 pm 

Lookin good! Wish mine was that far along....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:31 pm 

That's caboose #1. The second caboose is not yet painted, but my wife has given me permission to bring it in to work on it in the kitchen, during the snowstorm we have coming. I'll take pictures of it as well.
Thank you for your really nice comments.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:02 pm 

Several readers recently asked how the projects were coming. Here's the latest.

Caboose #2, the unit without a cupola, will get some work this weekend, as we are having a blizzard.

I have not gone as far with this caboose as with the other due to frigid weather and only recently getting heat installed in my shop.
Similar construction, with strip wood for individual planking and the roof. This roof lifts of, something like a chest, so the inside could be modeled or used as a tool box. On the other caboose, only the cupola lifts off.

The opposite side. Note the collection of windows on the roof. I had planned to use the aluminum cast windows, but finishing the inside flat areas was not worth the time. Each window has a rectangle of 1/4" lucite plexiglass to be inserted with Gorilla Glue. Once the car body is painted, I'll insert the finished window frames, again, using Gorilla Glue.

Window frames painted with acrylic paint.

Aurora the Steam Dog shows how we wait out a blizzard on a Friday night in Maine. She's 4 years old, a chocolate and black Lab mix.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:14 pm 

And a picture of the real thing, at the Bethlehem Union Station.

Two of the three buildings are still there. The large building in the left background is gone. There is some kind of cigar bar in the passenger station which is partly visible on the right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35mm-Orig-Slide ... 589c12b72b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:37 pm 

Superheater, thank you for the link to the image. I should have some update shots tonight or possibly tomorrow. The models are moving along. Nothing like a Maine winter to give you time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 pm 

Okay, here is the state of the cabeezles as of tonight.

Caboose #1 has had the larger windows inserted and glued in place. I will use some filler and touch up paint to cover the places where you see light spots. The smaller windows have to made made, but that's an afternoon's work. I added the wood platforms to the steel stair casings, and a single coupler is now in place.

The second caboose still needs considerable staining and the roof needs the cloth stretch over it, and then waterproofing with paint. Note the change in color, as was practice with the LNE caboose fleet.

I will try to fabricate the roof catwalks, get them painted and installed as well. There is a fairly good chance we'll cast the journals and pedestals tomorrow, or at least this week, now that the weather has leveled off for few days. Those parts will be iron. I've just figured the measurements for marker lights, but those may be off for awhile.

Every time I look at the work, I see a hundred more things to be done, but by April, I hope to have them ready to sell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:03 am 

Continuing to move along on the project, here is a mock up of a journal pedestal. Three sets have been cast in iron, but other projects in aluminum have been moved up the line. We did cast this pedestal in aluminum as a test article. Here it is simply file finished, not milled.

All the windows have been installed in both cabooses #1 (cupola) and #2 (straight roof), but I am not satisfied with the roof of #2 and want to correct the wood a bit before I apply cloth and paint to it.