It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Member/Volunteer Burnout
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:01 pm 

Here is what I think is an interesting topic. I was thinking about member/volunteer burnout the other day. Just from my observations, it seems like a large number of members burn out in about 10 years, but that is just one observation. My questions are as follows. First, have any of you experienced either first hand or indirectly member/volunteer bunout? Second, what do you think could be done to prevent this?

david.wilkins@insightbb.com

Post subject: Re: Member/Volunteer Burnout
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:08 pm 

My experience with volunteer groups has been a bit broad but it seems that problems erupt when there is no clear leadership or understood chain of command, unwritten rules or no rules and no written priorities and policies, or where politics replaces action.

Volunteers like to have jobs lined up for them and resources to carry them out in place so they can succeed and enjoy the gratification of completed work. they also like to know how the work they are doing valuablly fits into the long term strategies and goals of the organization.

Apart from these generalities I haven't found much common ground.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:02 pm 

> Here is what I think is an interesting
> topic. I was thinking about member/volunteer
> burnout the other day. Just from my
> observations, it seems like a large number
> of members burn out in about 10 years, but
> that is just one observation. My questions
> are as follows. First, have any of you
> experienced either first hand or indirectly
> member/volunteer bunout? Second, what do you
> think could be done to prevent this?

I agree somewhat to what you say Dave. I have been with a tourist/museum railroad going on now for 31 years. In that time I was president for 5 1/2 years. Just call me a railroad nut, I love working on the RR. I have seen a lot of good people come and go in that time. What I had seen and heard always seem to lead to volunteers not getting the repect they deserve. They start projects, with board approval, only to get over ridden or the project gets started early by the directors or president. If they are luck enough to get the project started or completed. They are told it was not done right or sure took you awhile. I find most of the times suggestions are made and it is voted down even before it is tried or even thought about.

Members/volunteers can get to the point and say what's the use.

gecklev@wcoil.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:46 pm 

Board leadership is a key: defined organizational structure and goals, proper resources and recognition will go along way to maintaining interest. Burnout is usually the result of overworking in an non-appreciative environment. If the organization is stale, volunteer support will disappear.

I endure work because I get paid. I volunteer because I support the cause.

Do not limit yourself to a 10 year period. Volunteer burnout can occur in a matter of months, weeks, days, or a few hours.

Post subject: it's a hobby
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:53 am 

keep it fun for the volunteers. Allow them buy-in on where the group is going. Do things together (dinner, lunch, railfan trips). Keep it more fun that cleaning the house with the old lady.

http://www.sdrm.org