It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steamtown equipment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:05 pm 

Since this board's address changed, I thought I'd repost this.

What is the plan for the equipment still stored off property at Steamtown? I hope they can find homes for them, or at least save them somehow.

dhouston@bbv.net

Post subject: Re: Steamtown equipment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:00 pm 

> Since this board's address changed, I
> thought I'd repost this.

> What is the plan for the equipment still
> stored off property at Steamtown? I hope
> they can find homes for them, or at least
> save them somehow.

I'm not up on the detials (maybe Dave Crosby can chime in) but my understanding is that this is all over and done with--everything which is going to move has moved from Tobyhanna. It was moved in a series of hospital trains last year and early this year.

Steamtown offered the Tobyhanna equipment last year to any and all qualified takers, on a bring us a plan/make your best offer basis. There was a lot of discussion of it here on the RyPN Interchange at the time.

I beleive the key deciding factor for deciding who got what was the the plan had to be feasible, and the group bidding had to have the resources to back it up (ie, they would show up, take possession and move what they took).

As a result I know CN 4-6-2 5288 went to TVRM in exchange for shop services and wheel work to be named later, I think CP 4-4-4 2929 is headed to a museum in Canada (not sure which), Chemung Valley Railway Historical Society picked up a wooden CV crummy, and I think Strasburg may have taken some parts and possibly trucks from the wooden B&M passenger cars. Not sure where the F-units are headed.

And that's about that. Homes were found for most of the good stuff, parts were salvaged from other stuff too far gone to be of interest to anyone else, and some stuff was of no interest to anyone even on a parts basis and will be or has been scrapped.

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:41 pm 

Hello All

Erik was right in his post above, most, if not all of the avialable equipment at Tobyhanna has been spoken for. However, much of it is still up there. I know there is one F-Unit, several CNJ & DL&W commuter cars that have yet to be moved, as well as the Rutland Pile Driver. I believe Steamtown is holding on to many of the CNJ/DLW cars as a parts source for their operating fleet of the same type. Last I heard the Pile Driver was staying too (this could have changed) and the F-Unit was spoken for (the black/yellow one) but where its going I'm not sure. I know there were several other spoken-for wooden cars have yet to be moved and were going to be trucked directly out of the Army Base. To my knowledge none of the cars have been scrapped.

Hope this helps.

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net

Post subject: Thanks, Dave! *NM* *NM*
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:46 pm 

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:20 pm 

Last I heard the Pile Driver
> was staying too (this could have changed)
> and the F-Unit was spoken for (the
> black/yellow one) but where its going I'm
> not sure.

The party that has "claimed" this F7 also owns a couple other vintage EMD covered wagons, and last I knew was surveying just what he'd gotten himself into! At the very least it may end up supplying parts for units at the West Virginia Central; if someone really wants that particular locomotive, contact the WVC and see what transpires.

lner4472@bcpl.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:37 am 

There are still two groups of equipment at Tobyhanna that will be returned to Steamtown in the near future. Two hospital moves were done last year and the next one according to what Steamtown has mentioned to me should be soon. The wooden CV caboose that the Chemung Valley RHS is getting from Steamtown is still there, and is in the next group to be moved - see our website -www.chemungvalleyrhs.com. A few of the wooden cars might be scrapped, but my understanding is that most everything there will be going to new homes. CVRHS has made inquiries with Steamtown regarding the former B&M wooden combine that presently sits on a TTX flatcar, but nothing is official beyond that.

Rob Piecuch

> I'm not up on the detials (maybe Dave Crosby
> can chime in) but my understanding is that
> this is all over and done with--everything
> which is going to move has moved from
> Tobyhanna. It was moved in a series of
> hospital trains last year and early this
> year.

> Steamtown offered the Tobyhanna equipment
> last year to any and all qualified takers,
> on a bring us a plan/make your best offer
> basis. There was a lot of discussion of it
> here on the RyPN Interchange at the time.

> I beleive the key deciding factor for
> deciding who got what was the the plan had
> to be feasible, and the group bidding had to
> have the resources to back it up (ie, they
> would show up, take possession and move what
> they took).

> As a result I know CN 4-6-2 5288 went to
> TVRM in exchange for shop services and wheel
> work to be named later, I think CP 4-4-4
> 2929 is headed to a museum in Canada (not
> sure which), Chemung Valley Railway
> Historical Society picked up a wooden CV
> crummy, and I think Strasburg may have taken
> some parts and possibly trucks from the
> wooden B&M passenger cars. Not sure
> where the F-units are headed.

> And that's about that. Homes were found for
> most of the good stuff, parts were salvaged
> from other stuff too far gone to be of
> interest to anyone else, and some stuff was
> of no interest to anyone even on a parts
> basis and will be or has been scrapped.

chemungvalleyrhs@aol.com