It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Working Winton 201 – Are there any?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:58 pm 

CSRM still has one 201 Winton engine in storage The 201 at the IRM was donated by CSRM in 2009 .
When I got out of the Railroad Battalion at Fort Eustis in 1968 I went to work for Sperry Rail Service which still had EMC motor cars with 106A 6 cylinder gas engines driving the GE generator. Engines were mostly original but had a after market cylinder Heads. One single large Zenith updraft Carburetor , three separate unmuffler exhaust stacks [which would glow red at night] when running light [not testing] Also oil system was dry sump. I remember running light on the MP from ST Louis to Pueblo, CO and using about 400 gallon of gasoline. Sperry also had EMC motor cars that used the 120 gas engine but by 1968 they were converted to other engine some get Rollin Gas engines. The UP ex M-35 at IRM has one of these engines installed and operational. Engine/generator was donated by Sperry back in the 1980s. The original 120 engine was split into vertically by freeze damage before IRM acquired the M-35. I believe the orginial engine/generator is still sitting out in IRM Storage yard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:55 pm 

Answering a question posted earlier, the Winton Engine "Model" designations are their project numbers, used by sales and engineering. This gets pretty confusing when there was more than one product design developed on the same project number, as was the case with the 201 and 201A engines. There were instances where a product used a combination of equipment built under more than one project number, for example gensets and irrigation pump units.

PC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:42 pm 

midneguy wrote:
I am really curious about the Kettering paper that covers the history of the 201A and the development of the EMD 567 engine, as referenced before by Preston Cook and in some other places I've looked. My dad, a retired railroad diesel mechanic, remembered reading a copy that was on file at the shop where he worked though he didn't think at the time many years ago to make a copy of it. I've looked and looked online and haven't found where any copies are available electronically or otherwise...

Does anyone know of any way a person could get a copy of this? I'd truly enjoy reading it - thanks!

Hoping this is what you are looking for:

http://utahrails.net/pdf/EMD_567_Histor ... t_1951.pdf

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am 

As this discussion has been going on, I had a technical inquiry come in completely separate from RYPN relating to a 1928 production Winton diesel engine that was in frequent service until very recently.

PC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:16 am 

Nice to hear there are still some out in the wild.

One of my to-do projects is to compile a list of all surviving Winton's, but its not high on the priority list.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:00 pm 

There are probably not many original Winton products left running now. Since 2010 I have been getting about one call a year regarding Winton engines, most of them requests for machinery weight and dimensions from naval architects planning on replacing one.

When you consider how long parts support has been limited for these engines, they have done very well. There really was very little on the Winton engines conveyed to Hatch & Kirk from EMD in 1977. I know that from having helped package the technical library for shipment. There sure were a lot of nice 1940s US Navy manuals for Cleveland Diesel products though.

PC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:14 pm 

When did EMD stop supporting the 201A?

I'm guessing mid-1950's after EMD had a program to upgrade your SW to a 600HP 567-powered SW-900m, or your 1800 HP EA to a 2000 HP E-8m.

I believe USN replaced its submarine 201A's with 248's or 278A's during WWII.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:46 am 

As Preston mentioned, I imagine the last little bits were in 1977 when H&K bought the rights to Cleveland Diesel. I would be curious to know what/if other Winton engines they still "supported" at the time other then the 201A.

One of H&K's guys, Chunk Major was a wealth of knowledge. He retired a few years back, and I would love to try and get in touch with him again. Every time I ordered parts it would turn into an hour long call.

The 201A subs were replaced with both 278 and 278A engines (two different engines). Amazingly enough, a good portion of these 201A replacement engines are still in service today in various Great Lakes Towing tugs.

H&K still supports the 278, 278A, 268 and 268A engines, although the demand is less and less every year. The big user as of 2 years ago, when H&K had a warehouse sale to thin the herd when they moved everything to Illinois - The Mexican Navy was the biggest buyer to support Non Magnetic 12-278A's in Minesweepers.

I sure would have loved to have seen that library. I have a number of various leather bound Cleveland manuals and parts books in my collection. I would give just about anything to find a 16-338, 16-258S, 16-358 and a Non Magnetic 498 manual (anyone out there?).

I recently added a number of microfilm reels to my collection encompassing 16-278A, 8-268, 8-268A and 16-338 drawings (2000+ sheets on that set alone. Anyone need an engine built?). I would imagine H&K still has some of this stuff on file as well.