It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: USATC 2-8-0 No. 611
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:39 am 

I remember that there was a questions on when 611 was converted to poppet gear but didn't have time to see if it was asked in this thread. When searching for tech data needed on our restoration of Alaska Railroad USATC S-160 #557 I stumbled across a group of entries on photos held by the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. If you enter the search "U.S. Army AND Vulcan" at http://rrmuseumpa.andornot.com/Archives/ you will get about 20 hits for a 2-8-0, with one of the descriptions being -

Railroad or Entity: U.S. Army
Builder: Vulcan
Description: Reconditioned for U.S. Army
Date: 1949
Assigned Num Name: 2628
Wheel Arrangement:2-8-0

Unfortunately, they don't have the scanned thumbnails on line for this group of photos. Based on the comment that the locomotive was reconditioned and the number of photos, I suspect that Vulcan may have done the conversion to poppet valve gear and that this group of photos documents the conversion.

There is also an entry for a technical drawing for a U.S. Army 2-8-0 by Lima with poppet valve. It's probably also of 611.

Last edited by Dick_Morris on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:57 pm 

Thanks for the info, Dick. I might need to send a few dollars up to Strasburg.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:24 pm 

I would never claim to understand anything about poppet valves or their patents, so please forgive me for asking a simpleton type question: WHO IN THE NAME OF HELL DID ALL THE DIRTY WORK ON THIS ENGINE ???

If anybody read my post in biggest basket cases reborn, while I may have mixed up my engine numbers, I was most definitely talking about the 611 when I described getting it ready to leave Texas. Seeing the picture taken in 2013 in Maryland, it is beyond miraculous that they could have cleaned up this nasty of a wrecked engine to look this decent !!! IT MAKES ME PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN.

In all seriousness, I would dearly love to hear about what they went through just getting to the point they have, what processes they used, how many men for how many shifts, for how many months (years is more like it), for how much money ??? If it was done by volunteers, their names ought to be remembered in the history of preservation along with BOB ANDERSON, who rebuilt the Rogers K class in New Zealand, even if 611 never runs again.

You notice I'm now saying IF 611 never runs again. These guys have the worst of it behind them, I do believe.

VIVA USATC 611 !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:31 am 

The recent thread on surviving Lake Superior & Ishpeming steam, and its reference to No. 34's original tender, tickled these brain cells and got me curious about this engine.

Is there any further news or commentary on the progress of its restoration since it was last discussed back in 2015?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 am 

J3a-614 wrote:
The recent thread on surviving Lake Superior & Ishpeming steam, and its reference to No. 34's original tender, tickled these brain cells and got me curious about this engine.

Is there any further news or commentary on the progress of its restoration since it was last discussed back in 2015?

Back in December 2014 the T1 Trust folks got together with the Bill Miller Equipment Sales folks who agreed to allow the T1 Trust to examine and reverse engineer the valve gear.

If you scroll down this web page to the 12-23-14 entry you can read the write up:

https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/news.php

The T1 Trust agreed to share the drawings and CAD files they were going to make.

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:03 pm 

Dick_Morris wrote:
I remember that there was a questions on when 611 was converted to poppet gear but didn't have time to see if it was asked in this thread. When searching for tech data needed on our restoration of Alaska Railroad USATC S-160 #557 I stumbled across a group of entries on photos held by the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. If you enter the search "U.S. Army AND Vulcan" at http://rrmuseumpa.andornot.com/Archives/ you will get about 20 hits for a 2-8-0, with one of the descriptions being -

Railroad or Entity: U.S. Army
Builder: Vulcan
Description: Reconditioned for U.S. Army
Date: 1949
Assigned Num Name: 2628
Wheel Arrangement:2-8-0

Unfortunately, they don't have the scanned thumbnails on line for this group of photos. Based on the comment that the locomotive was reconditioned and the number of photos, I suspect that Vulcan may have done the conversion to poppet valve gear and that this group of photos documents the conversion.

There is also an entry for a technical drawing for a U.S. Army 2-8-0 by Lima with poppet valve. It's probably also of 611.

Interesting. I watched an episode of the digital series Steam Locomotives in Profile focused on the UASATC S160's, and it mentioned there all of the S160's were built with Walschaerts valve gear. The change to poppet is fascinating to say the least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9