It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Prep for movement costs
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:53 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Just to let y'all know, this car is STILL there, awaiting a good home. Status entirely unchanged, except for some graffiti on one side and the fact that with a little climbing, you--cough, cough, "someone"--can now get inside. Apparently, thanks to this certain "someone", I can now verify that the interior is totally barren--no seats or fixtures, bulkheads affixed to each end for such things as restrooms, maybe an original restroom still in one corner, etc. But at least a lot of the original fabric--light fixtures, wall trim, etc.--are still in place.

There was supposedly a proposal to add this as a lineside display along the "Prescott Peavine Trail," a local rails-to-trails that already has some abandoned MOW stuff chained to display rails here and there alongside the trail. The city apparently didn't go for that idea, and given the relative isolation of the trail, neither would I (vandalism magnet).

If someone really wants to load this on its wheels or a flat car, I've identified the nearest possible loading point as either Abra Siding in Paulden, AZ (25 miles to the north, easy highway access the whole way to the last mile to the crossing) or, if BNSF doesn't want to block that siding, the Arizona Central junction at Drake four miles to the north of Abra (would be rough getting that trailered coach back there from the main road, but certainly possible).

If there are ANY serious inquiries or technical questions, I'm in the Prescott area for another week, armed with notebook and camera. I would dare to say that if that sucker stays where it is another six months to a year, the scrap vultures and/or vandals MAY render this car unsalvageable--it's hardly in a secure location.

Personally? I think it's perfect for either the Verde Canyon RR or the Grand Canyon RR as an "empty shell" to be filled. But I'm not with either organization and can't ID their needs or wants.

Post subject: Re: ATSF coach in Prescott, AZ looking for a home/use
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:23 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Believe it or not:

Six years and several months after the initial query/article............ IT'S STILL THERE.

Attachments:
File comment: Prescott City storage Yard, July 2013
DSC_2524resize.jpg
DSC_2524resize.jpg [ 291.31 KiB | Viewed 8572 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:18 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Believe it or not:

Six years and several months after the initial query/article............ IT'S STILL THERE.

ADM 4--

Interesting to see that the coach hasn't moved an inch in the 6.5 years since you first reported it. It has seen better days.

A little more history on the car: AT&SF #3159 is from a lot of 16 52-seat coaches (AT&SF #3151-66) constructed by Budd between January and March of 1946, in Lot #9613-001. Of these 16 coaches, 7 went to Amtrak as #5230-36 (AT&SF #3153, #3159-63 & #3166).

I know of 2 other cars from this lot that survive:

At least 1 of these coaches went to Penn Central in 1969, the #3155, which was rebuilt to a 100-seat commuter coach and renumbered #2438. The #2438 later went to Metro-North (same number), and after retirement became part of the Madison Depot Restaurant in Madison, WI (at the former Milwaukee Road station).

As previously mentioned, the Arizona Railway Museum has 1 of these coaches, the #3166, which they have named the "Regal Phoenix." The #3166 became Amtrak #5236 in 1971. The #5236 was later selected for reconfiguration to a 60-seat coach (as the #6043), but the work was cancelled for an unknown reason and the car was stored at the Beech Grove shops until 1981. The rest of the car's history can be found on their website at: http://www.azrymuseum.org/roster/roster.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:15 am 

Here's that picture again, resized so it won't make your web browser go insane.
Attachment:
File comment: smallah...
DSC_2524resize2.jpg
DSC_2524resize2.jpg [ 111.19 KiB | Viewed 8381 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:37 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
Interesting to see that the coach hasn't moved an inch in the 6.5 years since you first reported it. It has seen better days.

Actually,they swiped one of the truck dollies out from one end.

If anyone is serious about this car, I have a few interior shots as well. Nothing much there--it mystifies me why the Verde Canyon RR, which "tubes" almost all their cars, didn't grab this one as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:21 pm 

Two more of these cars exist together in the Los Angeles area - the former Amtrak 5232 and 5235. They are on live rail, have just had a new COT&S and are ready to move. They are for sale. The 5232 is the only car of the series known to have a complete, original interior and the other is missing seats and most restroom fixtures but is otherwise in good shape. 5232 was de-skirted by the Santa Fe and the 5235 still retains it's skirts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:23 pm 

Topfuel wrote:
Two more of these cars exist together in the Los Angeles area - the former Amtrak 5232 and 5235. They are on live rail, have just had a new COT&S and are ready to move. They are for sale. The 5232 is the only car of the series known to have a complete, original interior and the other is missing seats and most restroom fixtures but is otherwise in good shape. 5232 was de-skirted by the Santa Fe and the 5235 still retains it's skirts.

Topfuel--

Thanks for posting the whereabouts of these 2 coaches! Hopefully, the COT&S work and the fact they don't have to be trucked to the nearest active line will make them very attractive to any potential buyers. The intact interior of the #5232 will add to its preservation potential. Have any museums shown interest? They could also be good charter companions to the recently-restored "Acoma."

AT&SF #3160, to Amtrak 1971 as #5232, planned for conversion to 60-seat coach #6039, conversion cancelled, retired 1976
AT&SF #3163, to Amtrak 1971 as #5235, planned for conversion to 60-seat coach #6042, conversion cancelled, retired 1981

Anyone know the intermediate (recent) history of these 2 Santa Fe survivors?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:42 pm 

You know that's really kind of sad. Granted its a pre-war type Budd construction, but that car has good lines and doesn't appear beat all to hell. The full skirts are increasingly rare and it is fortunate that its been in a fairly dry climate. You've got to think somebody in ATSF land would take a swing at it.

ETA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:29 pm 

As for the 5231: Stick a fork in 'er, she's done,

While in Prescott today, I met my brother-in-law driving in from a different direction. He greeted me with "Say, you know there's a couple railroad cars down the street?"

I drove down the street he came in on. It was but one car, and the awning still persistently hanging on the end gave it away. It was the 5231, shoved next to a building, sitting on one truck on one end, with the back hidden behind a construction style fence.

There was a huge gap of about fifteen feet in the middle of the car, visible over the fence.

Long story short, some party had moved the car to this location, possibly intending to convert it to some kind of office.

The business in question is a scrap dealer.

The car had been moved in part by cutting it through the entire framework with a saw. The car, frame and all, is now in three pieces, of which two are stuck together and a third not. the framework was totally exposed throughout the inside.

The 5231 is now completely unusable as a passenger car, and I don't believe I could find salvageable parts either.

Photos may follow in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 am 

Hey guys, new to the forum, I volunteer on the Austin Steam Train (Austin & Texas central RR) We have Amtrak 5253, and is second in line to get refurbed and put to in to revenue service. I just toured the car yesterday and its amazing how well preserved it is. In was like walking back in time, there was still soap and towels in the dispensers in the restrooms, and Dixie cups by the water fountain. Its rare to see a car that is so complete , after sitting somewhere for 35+ years. It will need new windows and a cielign repair in the mens room, due to any years of water damage, but other than that, should be a pretty easy update. We will most likley get the exterior back to its ATSF originl apprearance (silver trucks, Sante Fe signage and numbers) plus get rid of the orange paint in the rear vestibule.

Attachments:
IMG_0552 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0552 (640x480).jpg [ 182.05 KiB | Viewed 7908 times ]
IMG_0553 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0553 (640x480).jpg [ 136.75 KiB | Viewed 7908 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 pm 

Anyone have photos of what this car looked like when it was installed on the bridge for the restuaurant as originally mentioned?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 pm 

Thanks, sd45, for posting the photos of AT&SF #3160 (Amtrak/RPCX #5232)!

Does anyone know who acquired AT&SF #3163 (Amtrak/RPCX #5235), the other chair that was for sale in Los Angeles?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:43 pm 

"Does anyone know who acquired AT&SF #3163 (Amtrak/RPCX #5235), the other chair that was for sale in Los Angeles?"

The 3160/5232 and the 3163/5235 were both sold to the Austin Steam Train group.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:52 pm 

Thanks, Topfuel, for the info!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:25 pm 

Oh yea, we have both, the other car is not as nice, it was a dentist office or something. We plan to gut that one and make it a rolling concession car. Exteriors will both return to Sante Fe livery