It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LIRR coaches
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2000 11:08 pm 

Are any museums or fan groups buying up the retired LIRR coaches for fan trip service?<br><br>

Post subject: Re: LIRR coaches
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2000 11:44 pm 

I have heard from Ken Bitten that a lot of them are going to tourist lines, more so than museums. Might ask him at TRAIN in Ogden next month for details. It is a lot of useful interchangeable car for the buck. <p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: Re: LIRR coaches
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2000 5:45 pm 

I used to live on Long Island; I used to ride both <br>the Oyster Bay and Port Jefferson lines that used those cars. I think some of them actually started life in the Red and gold of the Penn RR. I thought that all railroads used the 3 and 2 seating that they had. They were warm enough in the winter, but sure get hot in the summer!<p>In 1975 there was a bad ice storm and I started home in one of the newer electric cars and they had to send out a Diesel powered train of the older cars to rescue my train because the ice froze up on the third rail.<p>For you Diesel fans out there, I think some of those body shells of the Push Me/ Pull Me trains are also quite old. I gather that the mechanical contents have been removed though. <p>Ted Miles<br>

ted_miles@NPS.gov