It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Varnish vs. Polyurethane
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 10:14 am 

I have seen a number of restorations of old wood interiors in coaches, interurbans and streetcars, all of which have used polyurethane in the restoration of the finish on interior woodwork. Somehow I feel that as clean as it looks, poly does not have the character and richness of fresh spar varnish, let alone that deep darkened and crazed finish of aged varnish. Also, I have seen some nice older homes that used colored varnishes to great effect.<br>So my question is, why do we need to use polyurethane in the restoration of interiors? Is old fashioned varnish a problem? Will there be problems in the re-restoration of cars (which I know has happened, particularly in cases of cars with weather exposure) if polyurethane is used as a finish? Is there a restoration ethic regarding authenticity of materials in the finish, particularly when the original products are still available?<p>Thanks for any opinions on this topic...<br>Olin Anderson<br>

oanderso@uiuc.edu

Post subject: Re: Varnish vs. Polyurethane
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 5:38 pm 

I have worked a number of years as a finish carpenter and have done work on boats as well. Spar varnish will outlast Poly 10 to 1. Just make sure that the spar varnish you get is a good grade, not the kind carried in one of the home marts. Where did you read that Poly was to be used in restorations? If I were going for authenticity I would use the varnish. Poly wasn't around when the car was built. The varnish will yellow somewhat with age giving the wood that nice rich glow.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 8:18 pm 

When we restored Southern Pacific 1010, our 1882 narrow gauge passenger car, we used shellac, since that was what was used. We always use original materials when possible. Shellac has a wonderful warm color which is unique. <p>Research showed our car had been finished with 3 colors of tinted shellac (along with painted moldings, and faux wood graining.) We mixed dry artist pigments into the shellac to replicate the original tints. The red tone is vermilion, made from Mercuric Sulfide. <p>Randy Hees<br>

hees@ix.netcom.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 10:01 am 

At the RR Museum of New England we use the policy of using origninal materials whenever possible. This policy is extended to all equipment even if it is not considered part of the museum's exhibit collection.We are currently refurbishing CN heavyweight coaches for use on the Naugatuck RR's regular excursion train.The cars are paneled with African mahagony and were varnished. Over the years numerous coats of paint have been applied over the now alligatored varnish. Once the old paint and varnish has been removed the wood is recovered with varnish to return it to its original look. <br>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 10:13 am 

Spar is my finish of choice most of the time for reasons mentioned above. Poly can work well if the surface is likely to be in the path of hot cinders better than spar since the spar surface will entrap the stuff more than the poly. Spar lasts on most surfaces best. <p>Shellacs are a bit fragile but can be tinted easily and were used a lot in the old days to stain poplar milled trim to resemble cherry and other "finer" hardwoods. A bit shocking to see green appear when refinishing the pieces. <p>Dave<p><br>

lathro19@idt.net