It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Additions to the PA museum
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:35 pm 

Five 30 ton Pressed Steel Car Co. boxcars exist in Anaconda, Montana, on the Rarus RR, ex-Butte, Anaconda & Pacific, 1906. They have Fox pressed steel trucks. They are stored out in the weather, and serious preservation efforts are unlikely. The Rarus has kindly donated one or two hopper cars for park displays, but the wooden superstructure on these boxcars requires a building.

I have just seen a Simpson Timber Co. Pressed Steel tank car with "8-96" cast in its Andrews trucks (if original), but these box cars are still from the dawn of all steel underframes. There appear only to be 9 Fox truck cars left in America (down from 10 in 2000).

johncb@u.washington.edu

Post subject: What are the 9 Fox Truck cars?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:58 pm 

If there are 5 on the Rarus, where are the other 4? One is at Doc Kendall's farm in Vermont. The other 3 are?

Rob

trains@robertjohndavis.com

Post subject: EBT VIDEO????? *PIC*
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:13 pm 

> BTW Greg, when are you going to bring out an
> EBT tape?

Maybe when they can field more than one loco, I can make it over there. My brother shot some stuff on a charter last year, but thats about it.
I was there in the 1960's, but haven't been back since then. I guess I always felt it would be a hard-to-sell video, since the line is so short. Also there are at least a couple of other tapes on the EBT already.

You guys have any ponds for a "Reflections 2" someday!!!???

Steamingly,
Greg

PS..Didn't EBT used to run some sort of Winter trips??

Videos
sales@gregschollvideo.com

Post subject: Re: Lackawanna MU cars
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:15 pm 

> Somebody who knows
> more about DL&W cars can tell us if they
> were built by a PA carbuilder.

Nope. Motor cars were built by Pullman, as were most of the trailers; the club cars were built by Barney & Smith. Someone stated that no DL&W MU cars are preserved as electrics. This isn't true; while none have truly been "restored" as electrics, several are preserved (to one extent or another) as MU cars, with their owners planning to keep them historically accurate. The car at Rochester & Genesee Valley RRM in Rush, NY is an example of this, as are (AFAIK) all of the cars owned by United Railroad Historical Society in NJ. The motor-trailer set stored at Steamtown might also belong in this category (I don't know what SNHS's plans for those cars are).

Frank Hicks

Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars
fullparallel@wideopenwest.com

Post subject: Re: What are the 9 Fox Truck cars?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:18 pm 

One is Minneapolis & St. Louis #4570, at Mid-Continent. See roster page URL below.

Frank Hicks

http://www.midcontinent.org/collectn/woodfrt/mstl4570.html
fullparallel@wideopenwest.com

Post subject: Re: What are the 9 Fox Truck cars? *PIC*
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:19 pm 

Mid-Continent has an M&StL (Iowa Central) boxcar with fox trucks.

Allan

Fox Truck Boxcar
ddg14@attbi.com

Post subject: Oops... Fox Truck cars? *PIC*
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:44 pm 

Sorry, didn't mean to duplicate posts.
But, if anyone's interested, here's a photo of the same car painted as a PRR car for the movie "Mrs. Soffel".

Allan

Fox Truck Boxcar
ddg14@attbi.com

Post subject: Re: EBT VIDEO????? *PIC*
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:16 pm 

> Maybe when they can field more than one
> loco, I can make it over there.

Late next year at the soonest. Likely 2004.

> My brother
> shot some stuff on a charter last year, but
> thats about it.
> I was there in the 1960's, but haven't been
> back since then. I guess I always felt it
> would be a hard-to-sell video, since the
> line is so short. Also there are at least a
> couple of other tapes on the EBT already.

Pentrex and Green Frog have tapes. I'm tired of them, though. Want more EBT!

> You guys have any ponds for a
> "Reflections 2" someday!!!???

Only pond (actually a reservior) is separated from the track by a low berm and trees. When Blacklog Creek is high is is pretty reflective.

> PS..Didn't EBT used to run some sort of
> Winter trips??

Last Winter Spectacular was in '81 or '82. Now they run the Fall Spectacular in October instead.

The East Broad Top Railroad Homepage
ebtrr@spikesys.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:48 pm 

> If there are 5 on the Rarus, where are the
> other 4? One is at Doc Kendall's farm in
> Vermont. The other 3 are?

> Rob
There is an Ex B&M (EB&L) flat car at Clark's White Mountain Central in North Woodstock, NH with Fox Trucks.

gbrail@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:48 pm 

The tender on FEC 4-6-2 113 at Gold Coast railroad.

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Post subject: THANK YOU ALL! N/M
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:04 pm 

http://rrmuseumpa.org

Post subject: Steamtown Fox Truck Boxcar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:09 pm 

I also believe Steamtown has a former B&M wooden box car with fox trucks that was with the equipment stored at Tobyhanna.

Allan

ddg14@attbi.com

Post subject: Re: "If You Had to Assemble a Collecting Plan...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:18 pm 

Kurt,

First of all, I think the RRMofPA does a fine job of displaying a wide cross-section of railroad equipment and artifacts that truely represents railroading in Pennsylvania.

Now, onto the list.

1. A Porter that actually operated and served a Pennsylvania industry/railroad. H.K. Porter of Pittsburgh was a leader in industrial locomotives, particularly steam. The BEDT #13 is nice but really isn't from PA. Now, I wonder where such a locomotive could be? The 2-4-0 out in Western PA is for sale but has been altered significantly.

2. A Vulcan that operated in PA. Vulcan was another of Pennsylvania's locomotive manufacturer's and there are many examples around. The 45-ton side-rod sitting in Wilkes-Barre for example. I understand that was the Vulcan shop switcher at the end. And the Queen's Anne #3 was originally built for the Phila. Navy Yard. Even operated more than 30 years ago on the Wawa & Concordville.

3. A Pennsylvania built General Electric. GE has built many locomotives in PA. The U25B was the true beginning of the "second generation" of mainline diesels in North America. Perhaps one of them, maybe even the demonstrator that supposedly still exists in Erie, would be worth getting.

4. Any caboose constructed at the Reading Shops. Very few people outside the railway preservation world, know that Reading had a world-class railroad equipment manufacturing plant in the Reading Company Shops. How many other RR's in the US have constructed cabooses for RDG, L&HR, L&NE, CNJ? And these were direct orders, not just sell-offs.

5. A camelback. The 1187 does not belong to the museum. It is starting to look poorly. A good cosmetic restoration and parking inside is what that jewel deserves. She is the last of a long line of Reading Co. camelbacks. T-1's are everywhere, even in Pennsylvania. But how many Reading Camelbacks exist?

6. A Brill streetcar. Brill was THE builder of streetcars around the world. At one time, the sun never set on a Brill. Sure, there aren't many around. But a little digging might turn up one.

I could go on but that's enough work for now. Keep up the good work.

Rob Piligian

rpsurv@nni.com

Post subject: Re: Lackawanna MU cars
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:44 am 

Thanks for the news. I am glad to hear that some folks out there think of them as more than cheaply available passenger cars for tourist lines. Very interesting electric trains.

Ted

ted_miles@nps.gov

Post subject: Re: How about the EBT
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:47 am 

Greg,

You have a good idea there. Get that switcher to a good home and get a few hoppers before they disappear into piles of rust!

Ted

ted_miles@nps.gov

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next