It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRR 5550 Update: Boiler Assembly
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:59 am 

Is Amtrak even going to let the T1 on the NEC, for a speed record run, or anything else? Is there even an agreement, or understanding, in place already? Seems to me that the facilities in Pueblo might be a better and safer place. Lots of bad things can happen at that speed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:32 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
EDM wrote:
Is Amtrak even going to let the T1 on the NEC, for a speed record run, or anything else? Is there even an agreement, or understanding, in place already? Seems to me that the facilities in Pueblo might be a better and safer place. Lots of bad things can happen at that speed.

As far as I know, no one, and I mean NO ONE, in any actual official capacity with the T1 Trust, has spoken in any seriousness whatsoever about any plans for any "speed record attempt" with the reconstructed "T2" or "T1b" or whatever we're labeling the intended 5550. At best, they have only alluded to possible agreements supposedly in place (probably on a "handshake" basis at best) with certain track owners as to potential storage and/or operation, and no even alleged promises of any ability to operate public excursions.

COULD some speed test be done at Pueblo? First, get a locomotive built running. THEN go and talk to the FRA and ENSCO. And I should point out that "track time" at Pueblo isn't free.

The people who have extrapolated the likes of "a new record attempt on the Northeast Corridor to bring the steam speed record back to the United States" out of what precious little has been said/promised publicly by T1 Trust representatives so far can be regarded as delusional blowhards with Walter Mitty-like fantasies, and are probably even lining up already to get their "Hands On the Throttle" time on said Corridor as well.......

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:45 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
As far as I know, no one, and I mean NO ONE, in any actual official capacity with the T1 Trust, has spoken in any seriousness whatsoever about any plans for any "speed record attempt" with the reconstructed "T1a" or whatever we're labeling the intended 5550.

You sure about that? From their website "The goal is simple; to provide mainline steam excursion service, and to set the World Speed Record for a steam locomotive."

The people who have extrapolated the likes of "a new record attempt on the Northeast Corridor to bring the steam speed record back to the United States" out of what precious little has been said/promised publicly by T1 Trust representatives so far can be regarded as delusional blowhards with Walter Mitty-like fantasies, and are probably even lining up already to get their "Hands On the Throttle" time on said Corridor as well.......

On the FAQ of their website "Where in the USA may the T1 run beyond 120 mph with a decent train consist?
Presently there are only two possibilities, neither of which is likely for revenue service – The USDOT test loop in Pueblo, and portions of the Northeast corridor. The DOT facility is where we would intend to perform high speed testing to confirm the locomotive’s tracking qualities and top speed potential, with an instrumented test train, and only in compliance with all applicable DOT regulations. High speed running is not necessarily part of the routine service plan. Our intent is to maintain schedule on whatever railroad is willing to host the locomotive for excursion service. We anticipate this will be limited to 79mph top speeds on one or more of the Class 1 railroads. If, however, Amtrak can be persuaded to allow excursion trains on their system, we would plan on operating at speeds of 85-110 mph plus to match their timetable."

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:07 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I stand behind what I said.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:21 pm 

So you are saying that the official T1 Trust website that says "Copyright 2022 - The T1 Trust" at the bottom of every page doesn't speak for the T1 Trust?

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:07 pm 

R. Hahn wrote:

So you are saying that the official T1 Trust website that says "Copyright 2022 - The T1 Trust" at the bottom of every page doesn't speak for the T1 Trust?

I place that in the same category as the flood of campaign promise diarrhea pouring forth from my TV and radio currently--wishful thinking designed to gain support and donations, but having only vague associations at best with real life.

When you get someone in an official capacity to say "we plan to do XXXXXXXX on XXXXX's track and they have agreed to let us do so....", then I'll listen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:59 pm 

Quote:
"When you get someone in an official capacity to say "we plan to do XXXXXXXX on XXXXX's track and they have agreed to let us do so....", then I'll listen."

The discussions with the staff at Pueblo took place years ago. If you were wondering why the instrumented-wheelset subproject was necessary... that's one of the preconditions.

As I noted, it might be necessary to use zero overbalance to get actual test speed in the desired range. As I also mentioned, the dynamics, any critical speeds, etc. will have been carefully modeled, and then tested, before the locomotive "runs fast" anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:37 pm 

You should have learned by now that TGB 4th. knows everything about everything and how dare you challenge his authority on this ( or any other ) subject.

He has declared that any talk by anyone ( including the project managers) regarding an attempt to bring the steam locomotive world speed record back to the USA courtesy of the soon to be completed PRR T-1A is nonsense and is to be viewed as such.

Please do not alert any of the key players actively engaged in funding and managing the project as if they learn that TGB 4th. has proclaimed pursuing the world speed record off limits it might cause them to lose some of their enthusiasm, and that would be a shame.

Yes, I have submitted my CV and application to be the hogger on her when the speed record attempt is made.

Onward and upward. Thanks, Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:14 pm 

Just for the record: the T1a was the piston-valve conversion (then, as now, something of a miracle operation, and patented with assignment to PRR)

This is just a T1 as converted to outside RC drive, using the approach (although probably not the specific driveshafts and universals) from the type D kit Vulcan designed and built. It remains to be seen just how the cams will be contoured or stepped; the weird wear patterns of spherical rollers on continuous cams may not be an issue with more modern alloys and surface coatings.

Interestingly, consider the bore and stroke of the engines to which the Vulcan kits were applied...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:50 pm 

Overmod wrote:
Quote:
"When you get someone in an official capacity to say "we plan to do XXXXXXXX on XXXXX's track and they have agreed to let us do so....", then I'll listen."

The discussions with the staff at Pueblo took place years ago. If you were wondering why the instrumented-wheelset subproject was necessary... that's one of the preconditions.

Is there a signed contractual agreement in place? Yes or no?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:23 am 

The T1a was 5547. Not only did it have piston valves, they were actuated by Walschaerts valve gear.

5550 will have rotary-cam poppet valves, as did 5500 after a shopping. I believe 5500 remained a T1 despite the newer type of valve operation.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:31 am 

Phil - I believe that would be correct. Minor differences within a class were noted by engine number or marked “experimental” on the shop drawings I’ve cataloged.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:17 am 

Overmod wrote:
Quote:

Is there a signed contractual agreement in place? Yes or no?

Why would there be a signed contractual agreement at such an early date? The 5550 is years away from being completed.

Can you tell me how long it takes - say Amtrak as an example since they have had several sets of equipment tested recently - to get "an Appointment?"

Do you really think the folks at Pueblo would turn down a chance to make some $$$ and good publicity?

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:03 pm 

Quote:

A couple years after this project got off the ground, I had the opportunity to speak to the Chairman of the T1 Trust, Brad Noble, who at the time said in no uncertain terms that they have arrangements in place for testing at Pueblo. Between that interaction and multiple statements on their official website and social media over the years leads me to believe them. There can always be a change of plans due to unforeseen circumstances, but why would borderline promises be made that would put their reputation on the line? There is no real reason I am aware of that if they meet the engineering, safety, and insurance requirements they couldn't preform high-speed testing with their engine. The trust is well on their way, and has shown proof that these are being worked on.

ADMIV, I don't think you'll accept anything as proof that they intend to do this, and have the means to do it, until it happens. "Show me where they said they will" turned into "I want proof of a signed contract" as soon as you got evidence of the former. What is enough to make you believe they will try? Standing trackside at Pueblo, or will your own eyes not be enough then?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:14 pm 

We have seen the attitudes regarding heritage locomotives and trains on class 1 change drastically over the years from extremely supportive to practically banned. This cycle has played out over and over again. Initial indications show that the new CEO at CSX may at least be open to talking about such operations, so the cycle repeats.

Due to this I have found it incredibly wasteful of a mental exercise to even entertain the monotonous "where will they run it" question. That can only be answered at the time the locomotive is ready to go, and if that answer is nowhere, just wait a few years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next