It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Railroad Ferries still us (east coast) TOPIC DRIFTING...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:19 am 

About the only surviving east coast "vintage" ferry still with us in operation is the MV CAPE HENLOPEN operated by Cross Sound Ferry in Connecticut. CAPE HENLOPEN is a diesel-powered LST conversion done by the Wilson Line after WWII for their Norfolk-Cape Henry service.

Wesley

The Cape Henlopen Ferry was built as a World War II landing craft (LST 510) in Jeffersonville, Indiana and participated in the D-day invasion at Normandy. In 1966, it was converted to a passenger and auto ferry and served on the Lewes, Delaware - Cape May, New Jersey Route. It was purchased in 1983 by Cross Sound Ferry and underwent a total refurbishment before entering service. The ferry was repowered during the winter of 1995 with EMD 12-645 diesel engines, ensuring a long future of trouble free operation.

Post subject: Re: Railroad Ferries still us (east coast)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:06 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
So, basically they are all gone.

I am afraid that's right. So sad about Binghamton.

There was also Jamestown And Newport Ferry Co. ferries Jamestown (ex-Richmond) and Newport (ex-New York). The Newport is still afloat as DiMillo's Floating Restaurant, 25 Long Wharf, Portland, ME. The Jamestown was in temporary use as a ramp at Weehawken terminal, Weehawken, NJ. But, Google's Bird's Eye view shows the new terminal in place; I assume the Jamestown was hauled away and broken up.

Quote:
Not sure when the Microsoft Bird's eye view was taken, but there is still a lot of CR.., uhm..aahh... stuff at Whitte's, type in 2453 Arthur Kill Road, Staten Island, NY into Bing Maps if link doesn't work.

And now, it is not going anywhere. It has been there so long that marine life has grown around it; and it is now considered a wildlife refuge and is protected for that reason. Somewhere in the muck is bargeload of brass gauges, pumps, and other equipment; it caught fire along with much of the boats in the yard due to a stray firework many years ago, and sunk into the muck.

Keep looking further up the shore (to the left, past the chemical plants, off Sharrott's Shoreline), and you will find some additional hulks. They were ordered moved the Coast Guard because they were blocking the channel; Witte just moved them further up the coast and left them there.

Across from Witte, another steam ferry was tied up and abandoned there. It is still there next to the remains of the dock; but sunk now. It is the former Astoria ferry Maj. Gen. William H. Hart.

The remains of the steam Ellis Island ferry Ellis Island have been removed from the slip on Ellis Island, I believe.

The Staten Island steam ferry Verrazzano used to be stored at Atlantic Basin (nr. Red Hook) in Brooklyn; but I assume it is gone now.

The second steam ferry mentioned downriver from the former Hooters Resteraunt (Elizabeth) was the Sandria (ex- Philadelphia). It burned to the waterline in 2004; and the remains are sunk.

If you think railroad preservation is depressing and discouraging; try steamship preservation. Besides steam railroad ferries; there is the situation with the U.S.S. Olympia at the Independence Seaport Museum, 211 South Columbus Boulevard and Walnut Street, Philadelphia. And now, the Battleship Texas has sprung a leak twice, and is now closed to visitors.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/06/25/leak ... efinitely/

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:20 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Probably not fitting your definitions, but the Cape Charles (Chesapeake Bat) car float barge Nandua is actually thr former PRR Capt. Edward Richardson:

http://kc.pennsyrr.com/guide/delmarva.php

The barge is now just a flat top; the pilot house last survived on land as a vacated office on the Cape Charles waterfront.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:05 am 

Just a minor addition; the ferry Cape Henlopen was one of the five boats that came up from the Cape Charles-Little Creek run across the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. They became surplus when the Bridge-Tunnel was built in the mid '60s. Cape Henlopen was the only diesel of the five, and was re-named after Cape Henlopen near Lewes, DE. There is a newer boat named Cape Henlopen running at Cape May today.

I believe the Cape Charles-Little Creek ferry was a PRR subsidiary at one time. I had a book which covered the subject, but passed it on to my son long ago. Those boats, other than the LST, were fairly deep draft, which required lots of dredging to keep the channels and slips open; the steamers also needed larger crews. Todays Cape May boats don't draw as much water, and have smaller crews. F-M opposed piston diesels, too-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:10 am 

Amazing what you can learn on RyPN. The ferry at Demillo's in portland was built as the NEW YORK for the Wilson Line's Delaware River crossing at New Castle. I thought all of the Wilson Line boats except CAPE HENLOPEN were gone since BAY BELLE disappeared from the Brooklyn Navy Yard in the 1980s.

http://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/history.html

Wesley

Post subject: Re: Railroad Ferries still us (east coast) TOPIC DRIFTING...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 pm 

wesp wrote:
About the only surviving east coast "vintage" ferry still with us in operation is the MV CAPE HENLOPEN operated by Cross Sound Ferry in Connecticut. CAPE HENLOPEN is a diesel-powered LST conversion done by the Wilson Line after WWII for their Norfolk-Cape Henry service.

Wesley

The Cape Henlopen Ferry was built as a World War II landing craft (LST 510) in Jeffersonville, Indiana and participated in the D-day invasion at Normandy. In 1966, it was converted to a passenger and auto ferry and served on the Lewes, Delaware - Cape May, New Jersey Route. It was purchased in 1983 by Cross Sound Ferry and underwent a total refurbishment before entering service. The ferry was repowered during the winter of 1995 with EMD 12-645 diesel engines, ensuring a long future of trouble free operation.

I used to work on the Cape Henlopen/ LST 510. CSF put the "Cape" through a refit a few years ago, that included the replacement of the pilothouse. Up until that time, she still had her engine order telegraphs and original helm station. In addition to her original wheeled helm, she had a "jog-stick" helm. We had the choice of using the wheel or the stick to steer. I preferred the WWII vintage wheel. The chief engineer's station in the engineroom still had its engine order telegraphs, guages, desk, and sound powered phones. She's a great boat, but it was always a little scary to look aft and see her flex while backing out of Orient Point on a lumpy day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:57 pm 

Ill take a wheel over joy sticks any day!