It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NdeM Niagara moved to new exhibit site
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 pm 

Today NdeM Niagara #3038, and three cars from the Presidential train "El Tren Olivo" were removed from the railroad display in Chapultapec Park in Mexico City and transferred by truck to Santa Lucia. The new location was described as "facilities" or a "temporary exhibit".
The story I got described #3038 as an ALCO locomotive, but this is a mixup caused by her not having her original BALDWIN plates anymore.

I will provide more and better information when I have it.

Sammy King

Post subject: Re: NdeM Niagara moved to new exhibit site
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:58 am 

That's hopefully good news. I wonder what's happening with the remained of the railroad equipment there in the park. I'd have to check my photos but I think there was a UP Centennial, an old switcher, a boxcab electric, a geared locomotive, and maybe a couple of others.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:25 pm 

So far as I can tell, everything else is staying at the industrial exhibit in Chapultapec park. This includes two cars from the Tren Olivo. There was also a restaurant as part of the railroad area, which was a full size copy of the stone station at Ozumba. (The original still stands on the abandoned narrow gauge line to Cuautla and Puebla, and is now a local bus station.)

Sammy King

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:50 pm 

Could this be the beginning a steam program south of the border? With CP 2816 hopefully going to Mexico City, could this be the beginning of something new?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:18 pm 

Of course I would like to think so. But the pictures I saw would indicate that the people moving her had never moved a locomotive before, because they obviously tried their first lift with the straps routed over the boiler handrails, smashing the one on the fireman's side all to Hell. My information said that the Mexican government was in charge, and I would be inclined to believe that.

No matter what you may hear, or would like to see happen with 3038, I advise not believing anything until you actually see that it has really happened.

Sammy King