It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NY,NH,&H Alco FA-1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:42 am 

I remember reading a while back where the Railroad Museum of New England was "re manufacturing" their ex-New Haven FA-1. The locomotive had been purchased by the Long Island Railroad and turned into a cab control, hep power, dummy unit. Does anybody know how the progress is coming on this? I am especially interested as several of the surviving Long Island FAs were of L&N origin, and I have noticed that many of these still have their Alco prime movers intact. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

david.wilkins@inisightbb.com

Post subject: Re: NY,NH,&H Alco FA-1
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:58 am 

Well, we're still working on FA-1 0401, though somewhat slowly. Progress to date: carbody stripped of all old wiring, 244 oil engine, main gen and other internal components removed, over 50 large boxes of semi-solid "goo" scraped out of interior, carbody grit blasted and primed, new main power cabling installed in frame, oil engine and main gen re-installed and aligned with new air compressor and rebuilt fan drive, cab reconstruction (control stand, floor and such) about 70% complete, electrical cabinet rebuilt- new reverser, reconditioned power contactors and relays, etc. Air brake piping is about 70% complete (new piping and brake valve brackets in cab and nose). And probably many items I can't recall right now. The 0401 will be moved to the RMNE's Naugatuck Railroad at some point in the (not too distant) future, for completion and operation. It is probably the most extensive rebuilding and restoration project of any diesel at a museum (with the possible exception of the PA-4 in Oregon).

Railroad Museum of New England
hpincus@mindspring.com

Post subject: Re: LIRR (ex-L&N) Alco FA-1's
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:40 pm 

> I remember reading a while back where the
> Railroad Museum of New England was "re
> manufacturing" their ex-New Haven FA-1.
> The locomotive had been purchased by the
> Long Island Railroad and turned into a cab
> control, hep power, dummy unit. Does anybody
> know how the progress is coming on this? I
> am especially interested as several of the
> surviving Long Island FAs were of L&N
> origin, and I have noticed that many of
> these still have their Alco prime movers
> intact. Any information would be greatly
> appreciated.

David: I finally had a chance this fall to make it to Kentucky Railway Museum when they were operating to ride the train from New Haven to Boston, Kentucky. I knew that L&N 4-6-2 #152 wasn't scheduled to run that weekend but was a little disappointed that the power was a SANTA FE CF-7. Not that I have anything against the Santa Fe but it hardly seemed to fit in with the fact that KRyM states that it's the official railroad museum of the state of Kentucky. Your mention of the ex L&N FA-1's is interesting. A set of L&N FA-1 A units operating back to back (even if only one was powered) sure would have been more fitting. Just wonder if KRyM ever considered trying to acquire one (or a set?)

Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana)

midlandblb@cs.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:35 am 

Most of the LIRR FA's were preserved through the efforts of a small group of individuals. They are spread across America, most in hands of dedicated people who will bring them back in fine style. I believe three of the units went to scrap after severe internal fires while still in LIRR hands. There is a YAHOO group dedicated to the LIRR FA's and their respective fates. Without revealing privileged information, something very wonderful is going to happen on the FA scene in the not too distant future. I hate to leave it so cryptically stated, but that is the nature of promises.

glueck@maine.edu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:35 pm 

Personally, I would rather ride behind a vintage diesel because that is what I relate to. Is the KRM's ex-Monon BL2 functional? Now that would be a great engine to ride behind!

Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society
tstuy@eldcps.org