It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Shark "B" Unit Sub-thread...
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:44 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:10 am
Posts: 2499
Yeah, I made a half-hearted effort through personal connections to save it. It could have been done, but no one wanted it. I mean, it was a mess and had very little value left. However, there were some real mining equipment gems on site, and I dare say that the thing there that deserved preservation was the colliery, not the Shark!

Rob

_________________
Rob


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:50 pm 

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:28 pm
Posts: 72
Location: Port Orchard, Wa.
PaulWWoodring wrote:
Can't be in Oct. '76, since the loco was restored to operating in late '74-early '75, and already on the AFT, but interesting anyway.

I remember seeing in a RR club slide show in either the late '70's or early '80's of supposedly the last Centipede in Mexico, taken by mass slide seller John C. Benson of Cleveland. Legend is that he set his Nikon motor drive on a tripod and banged off 30 plus rolls of Kodachrome on roster shots of the unit. To my knowledge that was the last existing Centipede.


Hi Paul,
Wasn't the 2101 restored as AFT#1, and 2100 used as a parts source? I thought the 2100 was restored in the late '80's or early 90's for the owner of Lionel, so the dates of the photos could be correct, eh?

Cheers, Dave


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:19 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:02 pm
Posts: 1883
Location: Back in NE Ohio
Yep, it was the '01 not the '00. Shouldn't reply when I've been up all night on a coal train. Still, I thought that the 2100 left the scrap yard with the '01 in '74 to be used as the parts engine. I guess they wouldn't have to have taken it out of Streigel to get parts. Anyone know the whole story?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shark "B" Unit Sub-thread...
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:28 pm 

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 8:35 pm
Posts: 298
Folks:
Well, it looks like we can put the BLW centipede rumor to rest ! But hey, we got to see photos of lots of other neat stuff !
Thanks for you interest !

Kevin Kohls


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Well, I know who to thank!
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:00 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:10 am
Posts: 2499
Well, I know who to thank!

And, yes, he needs to write a book on his adventures.

Rob

_________________
Rob


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:13 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I know for a fact that 2100 was in Hagerstown (where 2101 was repaired) at the time that restoration of 614 started in 1978-ish. My assumption was that both 2100 and 2101 were moved out to Hagerstown together, and I believe I've seen (but cannot locate, at least for the amount of benefit it would garner here) a photo of both 2100 and 2101 coupled together departing Striegel.


Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Thu May 29, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:48 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:13 pm
Posts: 417
Location: Baltimore. MD
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I know for a fact that 2100 was in Hagerstown (where 2101 was repaired) at the time that restoration of 614 started in 1978-ish. My assumption was that both 2100 and 2101 were moved out to Hagerstown together, and I believe I've seen (but cannot locate, at least for the amount of benefit it would garner here) a photo of both 2100 and 2101 coupled together departing Striegel and heading west for the AFT project.


Sandy,

You should know better!

2101 was restored at Riverside Shop in Baltimore for the AFT. You may be thinking of when it was redone for the Chessie Steam Special.

Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:09 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:58 pm
Posts: 1084
[quote= Anyone know the whole story?[/quote]

yeah, but he doesn't post here anymore.....


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:54 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:02 pm
Posts: 1883
Location: Back in NE Ohio
Dave Lewandoski wrote:
[quote= Anyone know the whole story?

yeah, but he doesn't post here anymore.....


I know, but I was hoping somebody else might.

I know 2100 was in Hagerstown in the Fall of '84 with the tender lettered:
"Going Home To
READING" (- standard tender lettering)

That was about the time that the BM&R acquired the 2102, and I guess the impetus to have the 2100 there disappeared. Maybe Mr. Rowland will come out of exile and set the record straight.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:58 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 12170
Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
"Edit" buttons are wonderful things. <:-)

Okay, yes, Riverside for the first 2101 rebuild. Just be glad I didn't somehow have 2100 detouring to Reading en route to Hagerstown, back when 2101 went to Reading for some work in the interim. (Do I need to dig out those photos in Railfan of 2101 being "levitated"?)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:48 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:04 pm
Posts: 625
The 2100 was moved to Hagerstown in either 1977 or 78 where it would be closer to 2101 during her shoppings. In the second half of 1977 2101 was in Hagerstown for running gear work. This was an unsuccessful attempt to patch her together for trips during the color season. I do not remember if 2100 was in Hagerstown at that time or not. As far as I know the 2100 remained in the junk yard until she moved to Hagerstown No doubt she stopped in some shop to be prepared for the move. I may be wrong but seem to remember 2100 may have recieved a temporary installation of the grease cellers made for 2101 in Reading for the move to Hagerstown.

Preperation of 2101 for 1977's Chessie Steam Special was performed in the former Reading Saucon Creek roundhouse in Bethleham, PA.

John Bohon


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:40 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4777
Location: Maine
If 2100 contributed parts for Rowland's 2101, would it be logical to conclude they were returned after the fire that retired Rowland's locomotive? If not, somebody did quite a job of rebuilding 2100 for service.
BTW, is there any word regarding returning 2100 to the east, or even operating her?

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:12 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:04 pm
Posts: 625
The 2100 actually contributed parts to several engines. The cold water pump went to N&W 611. The booster was removed to replace, or be a parts source for, the broken booster on 614. It has never been applied. The stoker screw was used on 614 when the coal bunker was enlarged in 1980. Items like air compressors and lubricators could have been on 2101 or 614. I know 2101 contributed both main rods and a parallel rod to 2101. These were obviously returned to 2100 when it was restored. Even the tender behind 2100 today is the burned tender from 2101 because the 2100 tender was used as the display tender on 2101 when donated to B&O.

After the fire, 2101 contributed some working items to 614 for nonworking ones. I think this included the air compressors. Other parts were swapped with 2100 like the stoker engine, cold water pump, and lubricators. These were donated to 2100 because they were basically in working order.

It would be interesting to trace the parts that were swapped over the years between these locomotives. I suspect by now it would also be impossible unless someone has actually kept notes on such things over the years.

John Bohon


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pictures from Striegel's of RDG 2100, 10/14/76
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:22 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:30 am
Posts: 773
John Bohon wrote:
It would be interesting to trace the parts that were swapped over the years between these locomotives. I suspect by now it would also be impossible unless someone has actually kept notes on such things over the years.

The stoker for 2100 (at least the most recent one) is still in St. Thomas, Ontario on display at the Elgin County Railway Museum.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Baldwin centipede in scrap yard
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:49 pm 

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:22 pm
Posts: 219
Just to add some mud to the waters, I have a very poor quality photo of a NdeM Centipede on the Reading track in Philadelphia. It was taken by me in the early 1950's. I have no idea of the circumstances of the location.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: