It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chapel Cars
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 1999 8:56 am 

Before the crash of 99 there was a post about<br>"chapel," and discussion about the location of the surviving one.<p>John Craft sent the following:<p>"I was in Virginia City courtesy of John Larkin of the E&LS last week, and I'll tell you this engine is a honey. The real story is John wanted to get his hands on three ex-Soo Line heavyweight passenger cars that Virginia City had on display (in deteriorating condition). So he<br>made a deal with them: he would find and rebuild a steam engine for them, along with rebuilding the track, in trade for the passenger cars. He also got a Shay that Virginia City had, and an old "Chapel" passenger car."<p>Steve Glischinski<p>Hopefully, this bit of information is useful to someone.

Railway Preservation News
hkading@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Chapel Cars
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 1999 11:16 pm 

Is this the last remaining Roman Catholic Chapel Car, the "St. Paul?" It was in Montana for many years and sold to someone in Nevada. I am curious as to what condition it is in.<p>I personally would love to see the car at the B&O Railroad Museum. Baltimore is the primal see (first diocese) of the American Catholic Church. The National Shrine of the Basilica of the Assupmption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the oldest Roman Catholic Cathedral in the U.S. is just over a mile from the museum, and since these cars where vital to the propagation of the faith throughout the country, I think Baltimore should be its ultimate resting place. Maryland was the first Catholic colony in the United States, and the first colony to pass a religious tolerance act (although only for other Christians, it paved the way for the religious freedom we all enjoy today).<p>This opinion is strictly personal, and I don't know if the car is available for trade. I have not I approached the B&O Museum about this either. It just seems to me that Baltimore would be the ideal resting place for the car. <br>

kevingillespie@usa.net

Post subject: More on the posting
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 1999 12:37 am 

Kevin:<p>I can't be sure, but it sounds like things got a little muddled. "Montana" is right - the engine in question runs between Virginia City and Nevada City, MT, near Bozeman. I suspect that's where the "Nevada" portion came in.<p>In any event, it probably is the car mentioned in an earlier posting. John Larkin of the E&LS now owns it. Whether it's been moved from Montana to Michigan I don't know.<p>As to its disposition, I'll leave that to you, the B&O museum, and John. I'm a reprobate Presbyterian ;-)<p>JAC

SteamCentral

Post subject: Re: More on the posting
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 1999 6:26 am 

Dear John,<p>Thanks for the info. I love to tell my Presbyterian friends that I belong to the original Church of Scotland (the unreformed one).<p>All the best,<p>Kevin<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net