It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wilmington and Western hit by Floyd, Major Damage
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 1998 12:34 pm 

Hurricane Floyd felt no mercy on the 10 mile Wilmington and Western Railroad in Delaware. The storm dumped near 10 inches of rain in Northern Delaware causing a major flood in the Red Clay Valley in which the Wilmington and Western Railroad operates. Two trestles were completely washed away, two more suffered severe damage, and a few others made it through with minor damage. The line also has many trees down over the tracks and numerous wash outs. All train operations are cancelled at this time. The Wilmington and Western Railroad has been operating steam passenger trains in the Red Clay Valley since 1966. Most recently with newly restored former Atlanta, Birmingham, and Atlantic Railroad Baldwin 0-6-0 #58.<br>Pics of the damage are at:<br>http://www.users.fast.net/~boz65/floyd/<p>The Wilmington and Western's official website is at: www.wwrr.com<p>My Railroading in Delaware website with photos and information is at: www.geocities.com/heartland/plains/6484<br><br>

tgears@dca.net

Post subject: Re: Wilmington and Western hit by Floyd, Major Damage
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 1998 5:48 am 

Those pictures of the W&W are tragic. When you organize work parties, please be sure and let us know; I'd be glad to drive up from DC to help.<p>Any other Floyd news? Any word from Strasburg, or even more New Hope and Ivyland, Black River & Western, Pine Ridge State Park, etc.? My understanding is that damage in many of the watersheds in Delware, Eastern PA, and New Jersey is quite bad...<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org