It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recently found Steam
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 1998 12:53 am 

I was just wondering about the new engines that popped up on the WA state list at steamlocomotive.com.<br>They are all 0-4-0's i think,1 at Beacon Rock,1 at Maple Creek and the other in a canal at Thorpe<p><br><br>

amraam120c@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Recently found Steam
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 1998 4:59 am 

If anybody knows the answer it's Brian Fritz at the link below.

Washington Steam
hkading@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: (Apocryphal Reports of) Recently found Steam
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 1998 7:39 pm 

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hume!<p>Here's my 2 cents worth...<p>After reading this thread (and a couple of similar ones on usenet recently) I was trying to decide if I should "contribute".<p>First I try to keep up with as much as I can, but I'm not plugged into every group in the state. For instance, I know nothing of the Inland Empire group in Spokane, but I'd like to talk to some of them.<p>The first thing I'd like to know is who is reporting these locomotives, and what is the source of their information? Then, like Scott says, we need to find someone to check out the reports. For what it's worth, I know a diver.<p>Many of the "lost" locomotives I do know of were never really lost. Someone knew about them all along. Kenneth Johnsen's book is a good example, and folks like Pete Replinger, Jim Gertz, and Steve Hauf and several others.<p>There's been a rash of "lost" locomotives reported recently and I'm a bit dubious about the authenticity of the reports. Considering the number of hikers, hunters and forestry workers this state has, I find the idea of a "forgotten" or "abandonned" locomotive hiding in the woods someplace a bit hard to swallow. Not impossible, just unlikely.<p>I DO know of some locomotives that aren't on Wes' list, and the owners aren't in any hurry to go public. Whatever their reasons, I respect their<br>wishes and keep what I know to myself and my circle of contacts that keep me informed.<p>Periodically stuff does surface in unexpected places. What some group, or circle of friends, took for granted as common knowledge may be completely unknown, or forgotten by everyone else.<p>For the time being, I'm taking these reports with a grain of salt.<br>

Washington Steam Railroads and Locomotives
brianfr@speakeasy.org