It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1616 -- Do We Need a Hotline?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 1998 2:03 pm 

While the uproar about L&N 1616 shows how quickly partially incorrect information can spread, it demonstrates--as others have said--a need for a preservation hotline. RR museums need a way to announce to the museum community that they have rolling stock which they would like to sell or trade OR that they are looking for a particular item to help round out their collections.<p>For it to work, the hotline would require the support of a large number of museums. It would need a strong sysop to ensure that those posting notices of sales or notices of needs really are authorized by their museums to be uploading the messages. And, it would need to be kept clear of rumors and out of date info.<p>One challenge will be getting all the people from all the forums and lists to actually talk to each other on one forum. <p>This kind of project will take a lot of somebody's time. Better that an organization do it so that when the first guy burns out or gets transferred or gets bored, the whole thing doesn't crash and burn.<p>Is RyPn a good home for the clearinghouse? Don't know. . .I wouldn't want to volunteer anyone else for a job I don't have time to do. Maybe the 1616 rumor will turn out to be a good thing if it causes all of to stop and look at our policies and the ways we communicate with each other about what's available for purhase, lease or loan.<br>

collections@srmduluth.org

Post subject: Hotline's on its way
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 1998 5:43 pm 

Well, after telling myself I wouldn't do this, I'm going to anyway before Hume gets railroaded (no pun intended) into adding another section to the site.<p>Doug Bailey and Mike Delvecchio are developing "RailSales.Com," a clearinghouse for rail equipment. While it's up and working, Mike tells me that Doug has his hands full right now with real life, so updates have been limited. That should change soon.<p>This isn't envisioned as a free service - a commission is expected in exchange for the posting. But RailSales could very well become the equipment forum you're looking for.<p>JAC

Rail Sales

Post subject: Re: Hotline's on its way
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 1998 9:00 pm 

not to take any steam out of your idea (it's a great one), but reading company technical & historical society already has a section on it's web site for posting locomotives/rolling stock/equipment/tools, etc. instead of duplicating efforts and further fractionalizing the rail preservation community, we don't we support what's already out there?<br>

mshirk@DELETEix.netcom.com

Post subject: Re: oops, i missed hume's post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 1998 9:07 pm 

sorry, just saw hume's comment about reading company's web site. count my post as a second vote to use RCT&HS's trade board.<p>mike shirk<br>

mike@DELETix.netcom.com