It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking book recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:42 am 

I've been asked what I want for holidays, and always want railroad books--but which? What new releases or classics would ya'll recommend? The only firm new release on my wish list so far is:

Railroad Atlas of the United States in 1946, V1, by Richard C. Carpenter

What have you read in the last year or two that your really enjoyed, and think you'll read again?

eledbetter@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Seeking book recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:47 pm 

I just picked up a copy of Morning Sun Books' fairly new hardcover book PENNSYVANIA SHORTINES IN COLOR--VOLUME 1. Covers 20 railroads during the 1950s thru the 1970s. Mostly a "photo book", but with some text and detailed captions. Great sections on the EBT (end of regular service), H&BTM, and the Ma & Pa. Covers steam-to-diesel eras on the Bellefonte Central, Cornwall, and Ligonier Valley. Nice section on the Coudersport & Port Allegany, the original Everett RR (including the tourist op w/ 2-6-2 11), and a good deal more. Awesome photos--can't wait for volume 2!

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Post subject: Please insert an "L" in SHORTINES... doh! (n/m) *NM*
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:51 pm 

No Message

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:53 pm 

I just finished reading Bob Mohowski new book, New York Susquehanna & Western published by Johns Hopkins Press. A true history book, Bob concentrates on the 1937 bankruptcy and the subsequent dieselization and passenger service improvements (ACF Motorailer cars, RDC's, Times Square Shortcut) that allowed the Susquehanna to break its ties to the Erie and exit bankruptcy.

tstuy-nospam@eldcps.org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:33 pm 

Erik,

Since you were along on the Strasburg No. 89 charter, you might enjoy Ian Wilson's "Steam Over Palmerston," a look at CNR branch lines in Southern Ontario in the mid 1950's, featuring small engines, short freights and passengers as well as mixed trains. It features superb B&W photography, beautifully printed, with some color pictures as well.

This is volume three in what is presently a four volume series, with more to follow. This book, and the other in the series are laid out as a series of journeys over each line or division, with detailed maps an integral part of the text layout.

The original volume, "Steam at Allandale" is out of print, but "To Stratford Under Steam" and the recent arrival, "Steam Through London" are still in print. The publisher is Canadian Branchline Miniatures. I noted that the Strasburg book shop had the three in print volumes in stock!

trainrider47@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:55 pm 

> Erik,

If you have any interest in short lines and traction operations (later dieselized) by all means check out Central California Traction Company just published by Signature Press. This nearly 400-page book, profusely illustrated in bacl & white and color tells the full story of one of California's most interesting railways.

Rick

bakerst@best.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:17 pm 

I could recommend The Allegheny-Lima's Finest by Huddleston or the classic "The Locomotives that Baldwin Built" by Fred Westing, both are very interesting. If Narrow Guage is your thing, you might want to pick up the Richard Dorman volumes "Chama", "Durango" and "The Chili Line", all are great books (if you can find them)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:10 pm 

Please excuse spelling but there is a translation of Chapelon's "Locomotura de Vapeur" out now. Another very intersting technical book is "Red Devil and Other Tales of Steam".

dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Post subject: I second "The Red Devil. . ."
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:17 pm 

I must second the recommendation of Wardale's "The Red Devil and Other Tales of the Age of Steam" even though I'm only half way through its 500 pages. I've read the ACE 3000, Chinese, and about a third of the South African parts. I can't wait to get to the part about steam-cooled cylinders to see if I can understand that. It's fascinating stuff that makes you understand how really little you understand about the process of turning coal into tractive effort. We will have to put back the overfire jets on PM 1225 (destroyed by rust while on display and never restored) to see if it makes the difference in smoke production Wardale says it will.

Some warnings: the book is half graphs of firing rates and indicator cards, and doesn't have enough engineering drawings to suit me. Also, of the many recent railroad books ruined by terrible book design, this one is the worst, being set in 6-point sanserif type. Many readers over 50 will have to read it through magnification.

Aarne Frobom
The Steam Railroading Institute
P. O. Box 665
Owosso, MI 48867