It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRR Wreck Repair Pictures on Flickr featuring GG1 #4876
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:39 pm 

The excellent Railroad History article had a list of the cars; as it happens, the next-to-last car on the train was a heavyweight Pullman sleeping car from Springfield, Mass., added to the rear of the train at New Haven. "Breslin Tower" was undamaged in the accident, was retired and sold by the New Haven in 1962 to Jim Bradley of Stonington, Conn., and is now part of Railroad Museum of New England's collection at Thomaston, Conn.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:06 pm 

One other interesting thing in the images is that the 4876 paperwork has a date for "in" the shop, but no date for going out. . .kind of like the Hotel California in the song of that name.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:43 pm 

Quote:
"One other interesting thing in the images is that the 4876 paperwork has a date for "in" the shop, but no date for going out. . .kind of like the Hotel California in the song of that name."
I had a Mercedes R500 like that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:58 pm 

Topfuel wrote:

However, I don't buy for a minute that those are pictures of the cut-up GG1 4876. It makes no sense. Why in the world would they not have been able to salvage much bigger sections of that "motor", like the legend has told us all these years? Those shots of piles of debris laying around sure look a lot more like parts of a scrapped locomotive than parts of that GG1.

How would they have been able to lift and remove larger pieces of the GG1? To make the lift the crane has to be stabilized. The basement and whatever utilities under and close to end of track, plus raise or rotate a crane boom inside the station IF you can get the boom close enough to do so? Risk structural damage to the station and tip a crane, or cut it up into more manageable pieces to get it outta there and get the station back to normal life?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:48 am 

Seems very bureaucratic to haul all the scrap back to Altoona to take photos.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:54 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
softwerkslex wrote:
Seems very bureaucratic to haul all the scrap back to Altoona to take photos.

The RR was in a six-figure (nowadays seven-figure?) dispute with the insurance company over rebuiding. So, yeah, there's going to be documentation. And the plan was to "rebuild" the 4876 at Altoona. No one just hauled pieces there JUST to take photos.

I have a folder of photos on my laptop for a series of photos of my damaged car which was damaged in a hit-and-run during a work trip. The fight over a $220 bill (replacing a fender myself rather than doing everything "by the book" at a body shop for an estimated $2250) took SIXTEEN MONTHS, because a government agency was involved.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm 

First I've heard about an insurance dispute over this locomotive. Do you have a source for that?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:32 pm 

I have two questions after reading everything to date:

First, was the 4876 part of an equipment trust when this happened? If it was it's possible that they had no choice but to rebuilt the asset to the satisfaction of whoever held it.

Second, if an entirely new frame was cast and applied to the frame that makes the 4876 the lowest milage frame set of the survivors, and it's possible that GSC had improved their metallurgy or pattern work, reducing the potential for the lethal frame cracks that sidelined the fleet, possibly making her the best candidate for an operational restoration.

Inverter technology should be advanced enough...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:04 pm 

Nothing about an equipment trust was mentioned in any PRR correspondence about rebuilding the loco, so there was no trust. You are correct that it would now be the lowest mileage GG1 due to the new frame.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:04 pm 

Yeah, but have you seen photos of it since it's been sitting outside in B'more for the last 30 years (much to my shame and embarrassment, since I'm the guy who wrote the check to bring it there).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:13 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Yeah, but have you seen photos of it since it's been sitting outside in B'more for the last 30 years (much to my shame and embarrassment, since I'm the guy who wrote the check to bring it there).

Yeah, hard to stomach, none of the GG1's that are "sleeping rough" have weathered well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:23 pm 

Paul D wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:

Yeah, hard to stomach, none of the GG1's that are "sleeping rough" have weathered well.

https://www.deviantart.com/rlkitterman/art/PRR-GG1-No-4876-at-Restoration-Facility-690868231
Yes, I saw it 2 years ago.
I've heard that it's rusted quite a bit, but it's at least now behind the shop fence.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:43 pm 

I would offer the opinion that gutting the interior, replacing the floor and, and serious bodywork, may be the only hope for her. She's in the worst shape of any of the retired GG1's, including the two at Cooperstown, NY., and they're bad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:19 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I would offer the opinion that gutting the interior, replacing the floor and, and serious bodywork, may be the only hope for her. She's in the worst shape of any of the retired GG1's, including the two at Cooperstown, NY., and they're bad.

Any Rustoration of the 4876 will be cosmetic. It will never go anywhere under power again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:51 am 

"The reusable parts included the traction motors, wheels, axles, quills, gears, pinions, most of the quill bearings, roller bearings and boxes, air brake equipment including brake cylinders?"

Referring to Ron's fine posting, I find it difficult to believe the traction motors and bearings were salvaged since they took the first "Hit".

The article also refers to "H. Harrold Haupt"; what relationship was he to the general since they were all Philly/PRR guys?

Thanks for the photos!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next