It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Visiting Locomotives
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:39 pm 

While I imagine this applies more to the UK scene than here in North America, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how you manage visiting locomotives or other equipment at your operation. I've noticed seasonal "galas" in the UK frequently offer one or more visiting engines and I'd like to understand how you manage the economics of bringing in engines from outside. I assume many are brought in by road which would be expensive, especially for the larger passenger engines.

How long do you need to keep the visiting engines to cover the transportation costs?
Are these events self-funded through ticket sales or do you use donations / grant funds? Here in North America, would something smaller-scale like the Grammlings engines cover the transport and fuel costs in just a weekend or do you need to keep them for a few weekends?
Do the owners of the visiting engines share the costs in order to have a place to run?

Any information anyone can provide on how you fund these special appearances would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Visiting Locomotives
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:14 am 

I suggest you contact someone at the nevada State Railroad Museum. They just hosted
a couple of dozen locomotives from all over the West. It was a great event!

Ted Miles, Friends of NV State Railroad Museum Member