It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re: Adirondack Park Agency oks scrapping RR line to Lake Pla
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:12 pm 

They are all dancing around the point that the trail is going to be built from Tupper Lake to Lake Placid... and ARTA and the trail proponents, including the municipalities that didn't want the train, are going to have to prove the claims they made about building and maintaining it, and establish what the "numbers" are.

Of course, I don't live in the trail area, so I don't have a real 'say' in what's done. Have there been any reversion suits over the ROW rights yet? Bet the landowners will settle... for a pount of flesh, and possibly long-term tax abatement, for starters. Anything that cuts the trail will eliminate most of the supposed point of it... including any kind of 'through' snowmobiling. And I suspect eminent domain won't apply to a recreational trail, no matter how the State tries to brand it as a 'transportation corridor'...

I'll be waiting with glee to see what Lee, Hope, Jim and the rest do now that they 'get their wish' to try the trail idea for real.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:06 am 

greenwichlirr wrote:
J3a-614 wrote:
I think this is a public Facebook page (let me know if it doesn't work), with a short video.

Perhaps we should expect it, but there is still a lot of animosity to the railroad from the trail crowd in the comments--but a lot of support from others, too.

https://www.facebook.com/LifeintheADKS/ ... 3895116887

There is still an unbelievable amount of vile foulness towards the railroad, and the majority of it comes from people who are aligned with the fools in the ARTA organization. Oddly enough, though, in the last few posts on the Adirondack Daily Enterprise Facebook Page posts about the RR Revival, the usual ARTA blowhards (Frenette, Goodwin, Beamish, and of course McCulley) have been silent. That right there is very uncharacteristic of them. Oh sure, some of their lower stooges have been firing off the usual BS lies, but yeah....they've been silent.

One positive thing on those same ADE postings, however, has been the positive comments FOR the RR, with alot of people openly saying that the tracks being removed shouldn't have happened.....and of course they are then openly mocked by the anti-rail crowd.....

....and of course you have comments like these from the Snowmobile crowd:

And some have wondered why I have expressed dismay at the hostility to railroads in general in this country. Indeed, I've run into it personally.

Nonsense like this isn't unique to New York.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:16 pm 

Also in the same region, you have a push from locals to convert the Lowville & Beaver River into a rail trail. A pity, because that's a neat little line, the depot is intact at Croghan, I believe at least one of the L&BR GE 44-tonners is still on the premises and it ran into the early 2000s, and they have some passenger cars that they used to run excursions on when they still had the Shay running.

https://www.wwnytv.com/2022/09/23/histo ... Wq0jSfrc_U

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:52 pm 

[quote="NJDixon"]Also in the same region, you have a push from locals to convert the Lowville & Beaver River into a rail trail. A pity, because that's a neat little line, the depot is intact at Croghan, I believe at least one of the L&BR GE 44-tonners is still on the premises and it ran into the early 2000s, and they have some passenger cars that they used to run excursions on when they still had the Shay running.

https://www.wwnytv.com/2022/09/23/histo ... Wq0jSfrc_U[/quote]

From what I understand, The County has actually gone in and yanked rails out already, claiming "eminent domain", except that these are NOT landlocked tracks not are they technically abandoned. THAT takes balls. I'm no lawyer, but I can't see that boding well for the idiots who made the decision.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:28 pm 

If the news story with a dateline of Semtember 22, 2022 says there is a fundraiser "this weekend" where you can "yes, ride the rails" it would make me think that at least the mileage that was being operated on has been preserved. What's the source for the tearing-up news?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:53 pm 

I heard it through word of mouth, so it may indeed not be factual, and to be honest I do indeed hope it's not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:09 am 

greenwichlirr wrote:
I heard it through word of mouth, so it may indeed not be factual, and to be honest I do indeed hope it's not.
If I may revert to my prior life for a moment - "Captain, I need real intel, not this 'I heard maybe sorta' nonesense. Tell your scouts to mount up and go take a look!! "

(Note: The quote has been cleaned up out of respect for the delicate sensibilities of the instant audience)

GME

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:11 am 

[quote="Trainlawyer"][quote="greenwichlirr"]I heard it through word of mouth, so it may indeed not be factual, and to be honest I do indeed hope it's not.[/quote]If I may revert to my prior life for a moment - [b][u][i]"Captain, I need real intel, not this 'I heard maybe sorta' nonesense. Tell your scouts to mount up and go take a look!! "[/i] [/u][/b]

(Note: The quote has been cleaned up out of respect for the delicate sensibilities of the instant audience)

GME[/quote]

If it wasn't such a bitch of a drive to get there from where I am currently, I would be up there today! :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:42 pm 

Shots taken today from East Rd. in Lowville NY.

The crossing shown is on the Lowville & Beaver River Railroad. The track has been removed and the rails coming out of the road have been recently torched.

The crossing in the background of some of the shots is on the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern Railroad, it still has the tracks in place.

I have heard that a court case is already brewing.

Mechanical Compliance, Conductor & Engineer
Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad Museum

Student Conductor
Adirondack Railroad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27