It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bill Howes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:01 am 

I am sad to report that long time B&O historian, railfan and avid steam lover Bill Howes passed away peacefully in his sleep early this morning. He will be missed.

RIP dear friend. Ross Rowland

Post subject: Re: Bill Howes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:32 pm 

What a loss! Bill was a friend and we spoke about 3 months ago, and we spoke of his time as a member of the Pullman Company's Board of Directors. He represented the CSX on the board CSX having absorbed the B&O, C&O, W&LE, RF&P, ACL, SCL, then also had taken control over the various railroad's stock in the Pullman Company. He ran the B&O/C&O's passenger program, after Paul Reistrup, right up to Amtrak. He was a great font of passenger train knowledge. A wonderful friend, and I agree with Ross, that he will be missed. Rest in peace, and clear signals ahead!

G.F.Payne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:38 pm 

Hayes Watkins passed yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:10 pm 

I am sorry to hear of the passing of both Hays Watkins and Bill Howes.

I was lucky to become acquainted with Bill through the R&LHS, and he was very helpful to me when I was researching the history of one of our passenger cars that had operated on the Chessie Steam Special.

- Alan Maples
Everett Railroad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:20 pm 

In the runup to Amtrak, Bill was in charge of B&O/C&O passenger service. He saw to it that the service remained first-class.

Bill also put together (and got Management to approve) the commemorative last Capitol Limited which ran through from Chicago to Baltimore, April 30, 1971, arriving in Charm City May 1, 1971. 10-6 Pullman Tygart, the last in the classic B&O blue and grey livery, was in the consist (and is now at the B&O Museum)

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:47 am 

"Bill also put together (and got Management to approve) the commemorative last Capitol Limited which ran through from Chicago to Baltimore, April 30, 1971, arriving in Charm City May 1, 1971. 10-6 Pullman Tygart, the last in the classic B&O blue and grey livery, was in the consist (and is now at the B&O Museum)"

There's even a little more to that story. The Tygart didn't retain its' B&O paint scheme by accident. Legend has it that when the Tygart came due for a paint job, Bill arranged for that car to be re-painted in the same B&O scheme it had since it was built. This was long after the time when all C&O/B&O passenger cars were being repainted in the C&O/B&O scheme (basically the C&O blue and yellow scheme).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:51 am 

How did the Capitol Ltd serve Baltimore via Washington? Was there a backing move at Union Station or a separate section?

Thanks!

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:18 pm 

The B&O through trains usually backed into Washington from the nearby Wye. There was always switching involved as not all cars continued to Baltimore or Jersey City.

The last Capitol backed in at Wash Union, set out the C&O Diner Lounge Obs (midtrain this day) (for Amtrak) and baggage car (for C&O) then continued to Camden Station, Baltimore. The train backed into Camden from Bailey's and the Flagman ceremonially removed the drumhead from 5 DBR Lounge Obs car Wawasee which had been on the hind end from Chicago.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:35 pm 

Phil,

Thank you!

Wesley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:46 am 

Sad news about Bill Howes. I had the privilege to meet him a few times while working with the Chessie Steam Specials/Safety Express trains of 1977-78 and 80. Always friendly and upbeat, with plenty of good information and connections when needed. He will be missed!

Howard P.