It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are the coolest excursions to happen in Preservation?
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:28 pm 

I’ve been on a retro kick recently. For a while I’ve owned a few pentrex DVD’s showing some truly amazing footage, and it’s been a while since I’ve seen them all: from Canada’s Steam Expo 86, to Frisco 1522’s last run, to UP 3985 running as Clinchfield 676, and even the triple header between Northern Pacific 328, Soo Line 2719 and Soo Line 1003.

Perhaps the coolest one I watched was in this disc called “Santa Fe 3751, Route of the Chiefs”, about an hour and 30 minutes of showing Santa Fe 3751’s epic journey from Los Angeles to Chicago and return in 1992. Questions about why 3751 only stayed in Chicago for 1 night aside, it was truly fantastic to see the world’s oldest surviving northern make the trek of nearly 5,000 round trip miles. Especially when it was wearing its superb 5 chime whistle, and hauling a matching fleet of Santa Fe stainless cars behind it.

So I come to ask you another question. What was your favorite excursion? Can be for any reason, no matter how short or long, how recent or distant in the past, or how ambitious or simple. What’s your favorite?

Post subject: Re: What are the coolest excursions to happen in Preservatio
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:13 am 

I'd say the trip to East Strasburg behind RDG FP7's 902 and 903 with a SEPTA Bombardier consist. As far as I know it's the only excursion to come onto the SRC from outside.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:25 am 

EJ Berry wrote:
As far as I know it's the only excursion to come onto the SRC from outside.
There used to be annual chartered trips to Strasburg and back, run by someone (Washington DC NRHS chapter?). But they changed trains from Amtrak to SRC at Leaman Place.

My vote regarding the original question would be the #844 trip over Tennessee Pass circa 1996. Talk about rare mileage.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:51 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
EJ Berry wrote:
As far as I know it's the only excursion to come onto the SRC from outside.
There used to be annual chartered trips to Strasburg and back, run by someone (Washington DC NRHS chapter?). But they changed trains from Amtrak to SRC at Leaman Place.

My vote regarding the original question would be the #844 trip over Tennessee Pass circa 1996. Talk about rare mileage.

The trips from Strasburg (to Harrisburg?) on the mainline behind the 1223 and 7002 would be way up on the list.....

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:52 am 

AFT/SP 4449 from Charlottesville, VA to Alexandria in 1976.

Wesley

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:26 pm 

Either the 2102 from reading to philly Reading terminal (which I barely recall), or the RDC trip around the three lines from impossible challenge.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:02 pm 

Kelly's trips were from Washington sponsored by the DC NHRS. Trains ran with (usually) GG1 4935, power car and Amfleet. Routing was Port Road, York Haven Line and CV Bridge to Harrisburg, PRR Main to Leaman Place where pax changed trains and AmTrain backed to Lancaster, then return to Leaman Place and reboard AmTrain back to Wash via "ZOO" and Phila. DS had the option of routing train over the "High Line" if the crew were qualified and the DS could justify it (congestion at 30th St.?)

Strasburg trains using the steel cars they had for a while could run beyond Leaman Place and had 7002 and 1223 doubleheading. They ran to multiple destinations including Phila.

SEPTA train was a Phila NHRS production with a SEPTA crew and was unique in that the FP7's, SEPTA HEP diesel and "Bomber" (Bombardier) commuter cars ran through from 30th St. Upper Level all the way to East Strasburg. SEPTA train had to go back to Groff's Siding so SRC engine could run around its train. Then back to East Strasburg to reboard for Phila. FP7's pulled Westward and both ways on SRC; then cab car led back to Phila.

It's interesting to note that RDG FP7's 902-903 and N&W J 611 were all built in 1950.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:18 pm 

Does anyone know the mechanical status of the Reading FP7s? I know they were operable somewhat recently but are now on display at Steamtown.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:56 pm 

rem1028 wrote:
Does anyone know the mechanical status of the Reading FP7s? I know they were operable somewhat recently but are now on display at Steamtown.

This site says they are out of service. No further explanation or reason why listed.

http://www.nrhsphiladelphia.org/fp7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:06 pm 

Thanks, I wonder if it's anything major.

John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:14 pm 

I'd say 611/1218 at the 1987 Roanoke NRHS convention was nothing short of epic, side-by-side running with 1218 on a loaded coal train pacing 611 with a matched N&W train set (diesels helpers? what diesels? Not on this run, son!)
Click this and then tell me that's not amazing:
https://www.railpictures.net/photo/432802

Last edited by David on Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected link to photo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:44 pm 

Lee
The link is not working here.
Al

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 pm 

alzubal wrote:
Lee
The link is not working here.
Al
sorry, just Google "1218 611 nrhs Roanoke" and you'll see lots of photos and video.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:17 am 

NJDixon wrote:
rem1028 wrote:

This site says they are out of service. No further explanation or reason why listed.

http://www.nrhsphiladelphia.org/fp7

I've heard it referenced that the 902 has a bad truck. I'm not sure if it just needs wheel work or what, but the RCT&HS is looking into solutions to fix the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:54 am 

I’m going to throw a curveball and mention the Royal Hudson excursions out of North Vancouver, BC. They weren’t the longest or most amazing. They didn’t have double headed 4-8-4’s. But they did provide the experience of riding steam during the steam to diesel transition era. They ran multiple days a week and at track speed on an active rail line. I did many trips, including a few on the head end. The crew did it so often it all felt routine, rather than the circus most mainline excursions feel like. (Even if they’re run very safely and seriously, the crowds and one time event feel still seem like the circus is in town.) I honestly felt that was the most realistic vintage steam in revenue service I’ve ever ridden.