It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GTW 5030 to Colebrookdale
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:37 pm 

Perrinton was on the Greenville branch (locally known as the "Turkey Trail"). To reach that branch, which originally went all the way to Muskegon, the GTW ran over the Ann Arbor from Owosso to Ashley. Per Google, the tracks are still there as far as Middleton (just west of Perrinton) to serve an elevator. We spent time in Middleton in the summer of 1953 and 1954 (while my father was filling in at the Methodist church) and I photographed GTW steam in both Middleton and Perrinton. There were two trains daily on the branch. A mixed train, hauled by a Consolidation, went west on MWF and returned TThF. A local freight, hauled by a Pacific like 5048, went the opposite direction each day. My Dad and I rode the mixed train west from Middleton to Carson City, in a the trailing combine. Probably the mixed carried Railway Express, as per the sign on the Perrinton depot; I don't know whether the freight local did. I don't remember anything about a depot agent, one way or the other. Sorry, friends, I fear I have strayed from the topic of this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:35 pm 

rlsteam wrote:
Sorry, friends, I fear I have strayed from the topic of this thread.

Me too! And I'll also offer MY apologies. But thanks Richard, for the additional info.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:19 am 

Considering its the mayor that made the post about it I have a good feeling this little gem has a good chance of getting a new home. I do have concern over another 'Port Arthur', however from what the mayor is saying he has the right mind, insight and made the effort to make this possible. It looks like a perfect size for a tourist like the Colebrookdale. So long as the council approves it I think this little gal will have a bright future ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:16 pm 

Those 5000s were workhorses for close to 50 years on Grand Trunk, GTW, and CNR. They were excellent power for a variety of jobs right to the end of steam.
Consider that the last major steam purchase by Canadian Pacific Railways was the 1200-series Pacifics. They worked across the country, and ran many miles in excursion service afterwards.
The 5030 would be a perfect fit in many modern steam operations. Let's hope it has a bright future in a new home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 pm 

Great Western wrote:
The 5030 would be a perfect fit in many modern steam operations. Let's hope it has a bright future in a new home.

Indeed she should be!! With an overall locomotive weight of 113 tons (engine only), driving axle load under 25 tons, 34,630 lbs, of tractive effort and 70-inch drivers, she could be a jewel with adequate power and a turn of speed if her home would let her stretch her legs a bit.

She's not mountain power, and far from Super Power, but how many roads besides Western Maryland Scenic or a main line excursion program need anything larger than this?

Now, to find an appropriate consist for her to pull---

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:

I can’t find an exact roster but I’ve seen a sizeable rake of early 1900’s heavyweights. Given that 5030 was built in 1912, it’s a perfect fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:06 am 

Steamguy73 wrote:
J3a-614 wrote:

I can’t find an exact roster but I’ve seen a sizeable rake of early 1900’s heavyweights. Given that 5030 was built in 1912, it’s a perfect fit.

Colebrookdale has the heavyweight cars, as well as retro structures which would compliment the 5030 very well. Here are some pictures:
https://heritagerail.org/2020/04/revisi ... -railroad/

And they have more heavyweight cars under restoration too. Definitely a neat little 9-ish mile railroad. Mr. Guest has a plan for the railroad, and piece by piece he's checking items off of the list.

I live about ten minutes from the place, and should probably try to find some time to volunteer over there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 am 

As mentioned in two earlier threads in 2003 and 2017, 5030 was the locomotive involved in the wreck of the "Knights Templar Special" on June 5, 1923. Due to poor ballast conditions the train jumped the tracks a mile west of Durand, Michigan. Five people lost their lives in the accident. http://www.shiawasseehistory.com/ktwreck.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:13 am 

At Tuesday nights City Council meeting, the City of Jackson voted in favor of selling #5030. This was posted on their Facebook page yesterday:

Quote:
Locomotive No. 5030 in R.A. Greene Park is about to go full steam ahead into a better life. At last night's council meeting, the City Council authorized the sale of the historic locomotive to a railroad preservation organization in Boyerstown, PA. With the locomotive deteriorating by the day, the City does not have the funds available to preserve this 109-year-old train. The Colebrookedale Railroad Preservation Trust intends to fully restore the locomotive and get it back into working order. The train will not be leaving Jackson for another five years, so residents still have plenty of time to visit it. We're looking forward to seeing this piece of rail history find a new home where it can be properly cared for.

Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:55 pm 

big-bad-2666 wrote:
At Tuesday nights City Council meeting, the City of Jackson voted in favor of selling #5030. This was posted on their Facebook page yesterday:

Quote:
Locomotive No. 5030 in R.A. Greene Park is about to go full steam ahead into a better life. At last night's council meeting, the City Council authorized the sale of the historic locomotive to a railroad preservation organization in Boyerstown, PA. With the locomotive deteriorating by the day, the City does not have the funds available to preserve this 109-year-old train. The Colebrookedale Railroad Preservation Trust intends to fully restore the locomotive and get it back into working order. The train will not be leaving Jackson for another five years, so residents still have plenty of time to visit it. We're looking forward to seeing this piece of rail history find a new home where it can be properly cared for.

One thing to note though is that it won’t be moved for another five years. I’m a bit surprised to see a move date for it being that late.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:22 pm 

I think in straight up terms they probably need to raise the funds to do so.

Post subject: News article about the sale
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:08 am 

I saw this news article here:
https://www.fox47news.com/neighborhoods ... tion-trust

Quote:
The Colebrookdale Railroad Preservation Trust out of Boyertown, Pennsylvania, now owns the decommissioned train after purchasing it for $50,000. Jackson City Council approved the sale at a meeting on Tuesday.

Maybe it's not five years until the locomotive leaves.

Quote:
“It’s not going to be going away anytime soon," said Dimick. "That railway organization has to raise $2 million to restore the train but also move the train because it’s not as simple as putting it on the back of a truck. You actually have to build rail lines and connect it to a railroad to get it out of here.”

It will take at least five years for the locomotive to be restored to working order.

Post subject: Re: News article about the sale
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:05 pm 

jrevans wrote:
https://www.fox47news.com/neighborhoods/jackson-hillsdale/jacksons-r-a-greene-park-locomotive-sold-to-pennsylvania-railroad-preservation-trust

Quote:
“It’s not going to be going away anytime soon," said Dimick. "That railway organization has to raise $2 million to restore the train but also move the train because it’s not as simple as putting it on the back of a truck. You actually have to build rail lines and connect it to a railroad to get it out of here.”

It will take at least five years for the locomotive to be restored to working order.

So let me get this straight - instead of trucking it out, they're going to - what - build temporary track back to the adjacent rail line - and flatcar it out of there? Or are they going to make it rail-worthy for it's multi-state trip to Pennsylvania? At what point is one option more cost-beneficial compared to the other?

Attachment:
File comment: Street View
5030a.JPG
5030a.JPG [ 238.9 KiB | Viewed 5659 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Satellite View
5030b.JPG
5030b.JPG [ 81.05 KiB | Viewed 5659 times ]

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

Post subject: Re: News article about the sale
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:13 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:
jrevans wrote:

So let me get this straight - instead of trucking it out, they're going to - what - build temporary track back to the adjacent rail line - and flatcar it out of there? Or are they going to make it rail-worthy for it's multi-state trip to Pennsylvania? At what point is one option more cost-beneficial compared to the other?

I think that only Colebrookdale knows the answer to this, but good to know that it is so close to active rail.

We know that the 2100 and others travelled via flat car, so probably no reason that the 5030 couldn't also.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:31 pm 

Just found out about this today. And being a local resident I do not quite know what to think. I feel slighted by the city of Jackson as I know several individuals over the years who have approached the city council to do something about the loco. Everything from cosmetic restorarion to plans to move the loco to a spot near the Amtrak station. All met with hostility and dismissal.

As far as moving this loco by rail good freaking luck. The operator of the shortline that is next to this engine is about the most hostile money grubing jerks you will ever meet. With a proven track record of trying to hostily take over local preservation groups for his own financial gain. His misdeeds are well documented on this forum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next