It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GTW 5030 to Colebrookdale
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:52 pm 

Jackson Michigan mayor reveals a pending deal to send Grand Trunk 5030 to Colebrookdale:

https://www.facebook.com/derekdobies/po ... 8445284679

Quote:
Some positive news for Jackson: for the last six months, I've quietly worked with leadership at the Colebrookdale Railroad Preservation Trust to enter into a purchase agreement for the sale and restoration of the 5030 Steam Engine owned by the city.

This engine sits off Lansing Avenue in R.A. Greene Park (below) and represents our community's vibrant railroad history. Unfortunately, it has deteriorated and is far from operable, and any repair or maintenance is beyond the capacity of the city at this time.

If approved by City Council, the Trust would purchase the engine, pay relocation costs, and raise a capital campaign to restore it to working use as a part of their regional tourism efforts.
I've included pictures of our 5030 Steam Engine and some of the other restoration projects the Trust has undertaken in prior years. You can read more about this successful nonprofit here: www.ColebrookdaleRailroad.com

My hope in spearheading this purchase agreement is to save this engine, restore it to productive use, and use proceeds from the sale to reinvest in playground equipment in some of our city's great parks.

Post subject: Re: GTW 5030 to Colebrookdale
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:16 pm 

nathansixchime wrote:
Jackson Michigan mayor reveals a pending deal to send Grand Trunk 5030 to Colebrookdale:

https://www.facebook.com/derekdobies/po ... 8445284679

Quote:
Some positive news for Jackson: for the last six months, I've quietly worked with leadership at the Colebrookdale Railroad Preservation Trust to enter into a purchase agreement for the sale and restoration of the 5030 Steam Engine owned by the city.

That is some good news! I think that would be a nice locomotive for the Colebrookdale.
It appears to be a reasonably sized pacific which would suit the line fine. And with Mr. Guest's excellent fundraising and grant writing skills, I bet they could get it restored.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:54 pm 

How very different this attitude is from that in Port Arthur...

Everyone, not least Kelly, who has participated in this so far deserves respect.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:22 pm 

If, and going by the comments of the residents on that Facebook post, it might end up being a big IF please don't let this end up like that last steam engine project started at the Colebrookdale RR. I followed it on social media - watched it get disassembled; only to see work stop, eventually get sold then trucked away to another location; and that was only a saddle tank engine. Have your facilities improved to the point were you can entertain the idea of fixing something this size?

Last edited by hullmat991 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:49 am 

Judging by the reaction on Facebook from the locals if nothing was said about the engine leaving no one would have noticed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:00 am 

Hi there. Re the comment from hullmat991, we didn't own the other locomotive that was here nor were we involved in its restoration or ultimate disposition. It appears it is in good hands now. Hope that helps clear things up and allays your fears.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:30 am 

I'm very pleased to see this development. I can testify from personal knowledge that Nathaniel Guest is a very accomplished professional and approaches all his endeavors with the same 100% commitment.

The tourist rail industry needs a lot more Nathaniel Guests.

From all appearances this locomotive should make a perfect " fit" for the Colebrookdale RR and I hope it soon calls that its " home" rails.

Happy New Year, Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:48 am 

The more that I look at this locomotive, the more that I like it for Colebrookdale.
http://www.rgusrail.com/migtw5030.html

The appearance of the rounded domes, and the large diameter trailing wheel could really lend itself to the old-timey look that Colebrookdale has for a theme.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:05 pm 

Andrew Treece wrote:
Judging by the reaction on Facebook from the locals if nothing was said about the engine leaving no one would have noticed.

Gee, I wonder why?

Jackson
Michigan
https://maps.app.goo.gl/MH2M8LSx7it6aRG49

Congratulations to the people of Jackson, MI on joining many other once great American cities in ridding itself of charm, character and history. Maybe you can get that CVS drug store now!

It will be a much welcome addition to Boyertown and it's nearby communities (Allentown, Reading, Philadelphia, and of course all the out of state tourists). Congratulations to you all at the Coalbrookdale Railroad!

/Mitch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:14 pm 

When we moved to Bellevue, Michigan, in the summer of 1951 (when my father became the Methodist pastor there), 5030 was heading up the local freight on the GTW main line through town. I took our old Kodak folding cartridge camera and rode my bike to trackside, and snapped this photo of 5030 -- probably my first steam engine photo, at age 13. What's more, the enginemen invited me into the cab and I rode 5030 during a few switching moves (my second ride in a steam locomotive). I would be delighted to see 5030 back in steam after so many years.

Attachments:
5030.jpg
5030.jpg [ 154.7 KiB | Viewed 11414 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:47 pm 

Seems like most people in that Facebook post are sensible people who look at this situation very realistically

While many park engines have certainly been well cared for, there are unfortunately some that aren’t in a lucky situation, whether that’s due to funding or just to general location and difficult access. We’ve been thankful to see locomotives of all sizes like NC&StL 576, NKP 624, UP 4420 and now (potentially) this locomotive get new opportunities as (hopefully) operating pieces, and projects like the Frisco 1501 or UP 561 getting much needed care while staying where they are.

With the support I saw towards saving L&A 503 a few years ago (even if it remains in Port Arthur), I’m fairly confident in the future of helping park engines that still remain forlorn and forgotten. Thankfully, that number has certainly decreased as time has passed.

This is a project that would be beneficial for both Jackson and the Colebrookdale. I wish them the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:49 pm 

jrevans wrote:
The more that I look at this locomotive, the more that I like it for Colebrookdale.
http://www.rgusrail.com/migtw5030.html

The appearance of the rounded domes, and the large diameter trailing wheel could really lend itself to the old-timey look that Colebrookdale has for a theme.

It would be fantastic if they modeled the appearance after the early 20th century aesthetic. It's something you don't see much of on heritage lines and would be a great differentiator against some of their semi local competition

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:01 pm 

rlsteam wrote:
When we moved to Bellevue, Michigan, in the summer of 1951 (when my father became the Methodist pastor there), 5030 was heading up the local freight on the GTW main line through town. I took our old Kodak folding cartridge camera and rode my bike to trackside, and snapped this photo of 5030 -- probably my first steam engine photo, at age 13. What's more, the enginemen invited me into the cab and I rode 5030 during a few switching moves (my second ride in a steam locomotive). I would be delighted to see 5030 back in steam after so many years.

Richard -

Boy, your very first steam locomotive engine photo was a beauty! Hard to beat that shot! Good thing you didn't give consideration to "quit while I'm ahead"! BTW, there were many comments on the AOTT website, to at least consider the option of offering the engine to a Michigan organization before just sending it out east. Just for the record, I have seen a number of color photos of number 5030 working freights in the South Bend, Indiana area. These light Grand Trunk Western 4-6-2's might well have seen more freight train duty than operation at the head of passenger consists.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:22 pm 

Yes, they certainly did. I also photographed 5042, 5043 and 5048 in freight service (B&W film), and my brother got 5038 as well (B&W film and color slide).

Attachments:
GTW5048_Perrinton_MI_7-1954_View1.jpg
GTW5048_Perrinton_MI_7-1954_View1.jpg [ 107.26 KiB | Viewed 10597 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:52 pm 

Richard -

In response to your neat photo of GTW 5048, I noticed that the Perrinton, Michigan depot still had the Railway Express Agency sign in place indicating that there must have been a station agent on duty to handle any business. I wonder if the GTW boxcar behind the 5048's tank, was in the consist to handle any such L.C.L. business. Not sure on which line Perrinton was located, but my guess it was on a branch out of Durand.

Les