It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reading Camelback LOADED on trucks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:35 am 

However, it doesn't hurt to let AOS know that, prior to cosmetically restoring the Camelback, you have an interest in seeing the little locomotive operate under steam again. With sufficient interest from a informed public, perhaps resources might be made available to line her up in their restoration queue? This single locomotive would be historically critical to the design and wouldn't be expensive to operate (albeit expensive to restore).

I do hope AOS reconsiders the limit of restoration on 1187.
One vote in!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 am 

I would like to see 1187 operate again someday, but I also think about the factors that led to it sitting in place for so long at Strasburg- not being strong enough to pull their excursions. I wouldn't mind if AOS places it further down the queue in favor of having more operating engines that hopefully can someday pull full excursions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:17 am 

the problem is AOS doesn't have the trackag to run. They do a few runs with one engine at the Byesville RR, unless things have changed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:00 pm 

Seeing as 1187 is a switcher, she doesn't really need a long line on which she can "stretch her legs." She'd probably be more at home wandering around the Age of Steam's facility with a caboose or coach than she ever would be at Strasburg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:12 pm 

Dave Lewandoski wrote:
the problem is AOS doesn't have the trackag to run. They do a few runs with one engine at the Byesville RR, unless things have changed.

I believe the Byesville operation has been defunct for about 5 years now. However, my understanding is that AOS does have the ability to run on the former Ohio Central lines. That was part of the agreement when the railroad was sold. Crews have taken engines out on freight runs although these have generally not been publicly announced. As far as the camelback goes, I think the fact that it's a little 0-4-0 switcher would make it right at home demonstrating on the AOS grounds. As much as I prefer bigger engines and long trains, seeing a live Camelback switching cars in a roundhouse setting would really be something to see.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:20 pm 

I could see it having a similar role to M&NF 12 and what their saddle tank #3 used to do: just being a small locomotive to operate on campus every now and again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:44 am 

A photo of 1187 in better days showed up on Craig Sanders' Akron Railroads blog the other day, by former Akron Railroad Club Treasurer Ed Ribinskas. Link below:

https://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/2020/ ... look-like/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:32 pm 

Here's a photo (somewhat yellowed with age) that I took in 1976 on a trip to Strasburg.

Attachments:
176c0370.jpg
176c0370.jpg [ 63.93 KiB | Viewed 5770 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:14 pm 

Given that she was always a square peg for Strasburg's round hole, how did she come to end up there in the first place?

Was it a case of "there's an operable steam locomotive 50 miles away, we can probably use it"? Or was there something that changed between the time she arrived and when she went OOS?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:08 pm 

P&R/RDG 1187-CF&I/SRC 4 had been the big engine at CF&I's plant at Birdsboro ("BO") on RDG's Main Line until 1963. It had been painted up nicely and saluted passing Iron Horse Rambles with its high-pitched single-chamber "peanut" whistle contrasting with the T-1's 6-chime passenger whistle.

When the plant closed it was unthinkable to let 4 be scrapped. The "boys grown tall" at Strasburg bought the engine and ran it under its own power from Birdsboro to East Strasburg, although they probably doubleheaded behind a PRR engine with cab signals between Lancaster and Leaman Place.

I rode the Strasburg behind #4. It really did have trouble pulling SRC's 1960's trains and the steam used by the RDG 6-chime passenger whistle didn't help.

The other two CF&I engines, 0-4-0T's, 2 and 3, went to the WK&S at Kempton PA with 3 moving on to the Cooke Museum in Paterson NJ.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:37 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
Given that she was always a square peg for Strasburg's round hole, how did she come to end up there in the first place?

Was it a case of "there's an operable steam locomotive 50 miles away, we can probably use it"? Or was there something that changed between the time she arrived and when she went OOS?
Considering that she was replaced by #90, it's safe to say that ridership changed in the five years that she was active.

She was in poor mechanical condition while run here, and SRC at the time had little means for upgrading a worn out engine.

She always had a reputation as a poor steamer, with various reasons floated as to why. When loading her up to leave for Ohio, the petticoat pipe caught my eye. It seems that someone was studying "How to get your engine to make less steam".

Attachment:
small 20200729_075526.jpg
small 20200729_075526.jpg [ 142.26 KiB | Viewed 5193 times ]

Attachment:
small 20200729_075625.jpg
small 20200729_075625.jpg [ 161.28 KiB | Viewed 5193 times ]

Attachment:
small 20200729_075632.jpg
small 20200729_075632.jpg [ 273.95 KiB | Viewed 5193 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:22 pm 

Kelly -
So someone was stealing a not-insignificant part of the blast? Do you know what the orientation of the 'scoop' was I'm assuming straight back or front)? Looks like maybe a third to half way up from nozzle to top of stack? I've never seen anything like that. Talk about backwaters...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 pm 

so obviously work can be done in Pa to get the Camelback to AOS...wonder when 643 will make the trip?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:26 am 

"so obviously work can be done in Pa to get the Camelback to AOS...wonder when 643 will make the trip?"

I suggest that you ask the cities of Pittsburgh and McKees Rocks, as their COVID virus regulations have prevented AoSRM from loading and moving #643. Whenever they give the OK, then #643 will be shipped by rail to Sugarcreek. If you can accomplish this any faster, then I suggest that you do so and send AoSRM the bill for your services. Everyone is eager for its arrival. Be safe.

John B. Corns

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:32 am 

Lighten up Francis...it was just a question.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next