It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reading Camelback LOADED on trucks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:16 am 

From the "Virtual Railfan" live feed on YouTube - RDG 1187 and its tender are loaded on two trailers at the freight loading area at the Strasburg Railroad. (10:15 AM today.)

EDIT - both trucks departed at 11:23 AM Eastern.

Post subject: Re: Reading Camelback LOADED on trucks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:24 pm 

Attachment:
1187.jpg
1187.jpg [ 310.91 KiB | Viewed 9065 times ]

Rolling.

Screen grabbed from Virtual Railfan.

Thanks Age of Steam, Daily Express, and Mike Venezia.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 pm 

Kind of bittersweet. Sad to see it leave it's home since 1962 but glad it will be cared for and restored in one way or another.

John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:15 pm 

My thoughts mirrored, John.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:10 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:

Does this mean he has it backwards?

In all seriousness, this is a loss for NE US rail preservation but a gain for rail preservation overall.

Was the availability of this artifact for sale spurred on in any way by the loss of revenue to the Strasburg Rail Road due to the COVID virus?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:46 pm 

LOL. Good one! :) You hit the nail right on the head, my feelings exactly!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:53 pm 

Are the guys around it watching to make sure the trucking company doesn't put a political banner on it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
PMC wrote:
Are the guys around it watching to make sure the trucking company doesn't put a political banner on it?

Maybe they're waiting for Strasburg and Reading fans to blockade the movement in protest...........

Hey, it IS 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:33 am 

Yes, it is 2020. The year of COVID and the nonstop politicalization of everything. Even here on RYPN. Satisfied?

Attachments:
1187.jpeg
1187.jpeg [ 57.77 KiB | Viewed 8327 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:33 am 

Looks more like "Rusty Locomotives Matter" (RLM).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm 

Scranton Yard wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:

Does this mean he has it backwards?

In all seriousness, this is a loss for NE US rail preservation but a gain for rail preservation overall.

Was the availability of this artifact for sale spurred on in any way by the loss of revenue to the Strasburg Rail Road due to the COVID virus?

I’d doubt it. Given that 1187 was, at best, a cosmetic restoration candidate far, far down the pipeline, I don’t think this was a decision that was changed because of current events. The opportunity for 1187 at Strasburg was pretty bleak any way you look at it: basically sentenced to sit outside until it was its turn in the queue.

I think it was just a decision made about preserving 1187’s future, not about anything currently going on. It makes a lot of sense, and while it might hurt for some to know that it’s leaving it’s home of literally of its life (spending time there for 58 out of its 117 years within 5 miles of Strasburg), I’m more than glad it’s getting a new home where it can be restored, and stored inside.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:49 pm 

I disagree with Steamguy73. While the sale of No. 1187/4 out of state does indeed mean its preservation, it is a sad loss for the heritage of transportation history and anthracite mining in the Keystone State. Apparently no one at the state Historical & Museum Commission in Harrisburg had any clue of this locomotive's significance to the state's history. Even though it would have joined the queue of steam locomotives awaiting attention at the RRMPA, it should be there, not in Ohio.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:21 pm 

G. W. Laepple wrote:
I disagree with Steamguy73. While the sale of No. 1187/4 out of state does indeed mean its preservation, it is a sad loss for the heritage of steam railroading and anthracite mining in the Keystone State. Apparently no one at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania nor the state Historical & Museum Commission in Harrisburg had any clue of this locomotive's significance in the state's history. Even though it would have joined the queue of steam locomotives awaiting attention at the RRMPA, it should be there, not in Ohio.

And that’s completely fine to disagree. But we have to remember that #1187 is in a much more favorable situation now than it’s been in the past 50 years or so. I personally would rather a locomotive be out of its home resting place but in a better situation than for it to be at home but in a pretty rocky situation. It can sit indoors, and can get the attention it so desperately needs quicker.

I believe the reasons for why RRMPA didn’t acquire are present in the earlier thread about the locomotive. I remember the reason it didn’t go there was mainly due to politics. Even if it did go there, it would encounter likely similar problems it already had across the street; a long restoration queue, and likely sitting outdoors for display.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:00 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Steamguy73 wrote:
I believe the reasons for why RRMPA didn’t acquire are present in the earlier thread about the locomotive. I remember the reason it didn’t go there was mainly due to politics.

Just to clarify, it's general situational "politics," not "partisan."

As I had someone from another museum point out to me, and I'll paraphrase:

The operation of any museum such as this--be it railroad, art, history, cars, dinosaur bones, or whatever--means that you are acting as a custodian for the public, especially when the museum falls under government ownership. Your job is, therefore, NOT to endlessly "expand" your employ, your mission, and your budget; that ends up being seen as "mission creep," much as government keeps finding other things they must regulate, tax, etc.

Certainly, if you are a museum with a contemporary focus, you don't want to be seen as "static"--that all art ended in 1850, for example, or that railroading ended with steam locomotives.

What probably nixed the RR Museum of Pa. from getting this loco was simply that the Friends of the RR Museum group was not, for whatever reason, persistently hounding the Strasburg's management for the chance to buy it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:03 pm 

Late update from the trucking company:

Quote:
Reading Camelback 1187 is parked at New Columbia, Pa. at the Susquehanna Motor Company as it arrived there last evening. It will only be there today (Saturday) as we are leaving with the load on Sunday morning at sunrise to take it to Sugar Creek OH. 1187 is near the Reading Railroad one last time. once it heads west, it will not see Reading tracks again. 1187 was built in 1903 and was sold by the Strasburg RR to the Age of Steam Museum. Daily Express loaded it on Friday at Strasburg.

The route from Strasburg took it over the Reading a couple of times to this point.

If you stop to take pictures, please do not get on the trailer and please respect Susquehanna Motor's property.