It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam Whistle Question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:13 pm 

I was listing to a recording of what's billed as: Steamtown Foundation (Ex-Canadian Pacific) No. 1246 [4-6-2] on the "Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies" CD. The whistle on this engine seems different from other Steam whistles I've heard over the years. Does anyone know what type of whistle was on this engine at the time this was recorded?

Post subject: Re: Steam Whistle Question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 am 

Hi
The normal whistle on CPR # 1246 was there CPR 5 chime, I am just wondering is there any way to can record a sound bite of the whistle from the CD, and post? That would be a great help, on maybe answering your question.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:47 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I was once told by a major whistle collector that CP whistle fittings feature a non-standard (non-NPT) threading arrangement, and thus require an adapter of some kind to be fitted on non-CP locos, and for non-CP whistles to be attached to a CP steamer. Said collector had first-hand experience with the matter when the two CP Pacifics were briefly owned by Red Clay Leasing Co. and did some main line outings, and also had a Canadian ex-pat as a fellow collector and steam man.

Anyone care to verify?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:23 am 

The G5-class 1200s have a flange-mounted 6-chime CPR whistle; it mounts to a fitting behind the smokestack. There is also a bracket for the pneumatic whistle operator (sometimes called a "button whistle") , built into the whistle mounting arrangement.

Some post-CPR operators of the 1200s have applied threaded whistles on the auxiliary dome, in addition to the stock whistle. The two safety valves mounted on the auxiliary dome are also an unusual flange-mount design.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:37 am 

Howard P. wrote:
The G5-class 1200s have a flange-mounted 6-chime CPR whistle; it mounts to a fitting behind the smokestack. There is also a bracket for the pneumatic whistle operator (sometimes called a "button whistle") , built into the whistle mounting arrangement.

Some post-CPR operators of the 1200s have applied threaded whistles on the auxiliary dome, in addition to the stock whistle. The two safety valves mounted on the auxiliary dome are also an unusual flange-mount design.

Howard P.

That's the Viloco Whistle Operator. When you activate it, it opens the whistle full blast, and you don't have the ability to quill the whistle, as when using the pull cord.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 am 

The unique sounding whistle 1246 wore for much of if not all of it's career in Bellows Falls was a Boston & Maine 5 or 6 chime. Images will show that it's noticeably longer than the standard CPR whistle and had B&M cast in the chime. I'll try to scan up a picture and post at some point soon.

Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:38 pm 

You can hear a recording of what those button whistles sound like at this link.

https://youtu.be/Akxg38SapUM?t=752

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:40 pm 

Hi Bill
You are correct for what you did post, Yes she did carry a B&M freight a 5 chime whistle and a 6 chime passenger whistles from time to time.
She also did carry the whistle off of GTW 6039, also, for what I can remember. the whistle off # 6039 also stood tall like the B&M whistles.
I don't know what year the CD was made, but if it was before 1973, the Green Mountain RR still owned CPR 1246 and 1293, they were sold to Steamtown July 1973.
Here is a photo that I cropped of # 1246 when the Green Mountain RR owned her, I cropped the whistle, and the whistle looks like a B&M 6 chime.
Attachment:
File comment: Photo by Pat Fahey CPR 1246 whistle without being cropped,
Whitstle CPR 1246 ex B&M.jpg #6.jpg
Whitstle CPR 1246 ex B&M.jpg #6.jpg [ 72.37 KiB | Viewed 4601 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Photo by Pat Fahey whistle on CPR 1246 looks like B&M 6 chime.
Whitstle CPR 1246 ex B&M (4).jpg
Whitstle CPR 1246 ex B&M (4).jpg [ 68.32 KiB | Viewed 4601 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:37 pm 

Given the location of those whistles, do they operate on superheated steam?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:47 am 

Hi All
I when up and listened to the recording on youtube that John was referring to, the whistle on CPR # 1201 is the typical CPR 5 chime whistle. Pat