It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steam (returning/being restored/being rebuilt) in 2020
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:31 pm 

"Just the facts, Ma'am": When I saw GTW 4070 in the MRHF roundhouse a year ago, she was completely stripped, seriously rusted and it looked like nothing had been done on her in over 25 years. The driver set that had sat in the drop pit for decades - immersed in water- was inside the roundhouse. Unless some miracle has occurred in the last year, there is no progress being made. Please update this.......

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:21 pm 

NKP779 wrote:
"Just the facts, Ma'am": When I saw GTW 4070 in the MRHF roundhouse a year ago, she was completely stripped, seriously rusted and it looked like nothing had been done on her in over 25 years. The driver set that had sat in the drop pit for decades - immersed in water- was inside the roundhouse. Unless some miracle has occurred in the last year, there is no progress being made. Please update this.......

Despite what you say; if you follow MRPS on Facebook you will see that they have been doing working on 4070 - bit by bit as time, money, and available volunteer hands become available.

Also you should cut them some slack. Look at everything they have on their plate to deal with. They are working on the roundhouse, turntable, trackage, and other projects - some of which are undertaken to pay the bills.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:02 pm 

I’ve been following the MRPS (the group working in the cleveland roundhouse) on Facebook for a few years, and they’ve had a hodge podge of things that they’ve been doing for a few years now. From what I’ve heard, a lot of the lack of work on 4070 has been blamed on some of the older members and the entire “boys club” nature of it. Not sure who those members were/are, but that’s just what I’ve heard, so don’t quote me if I’m wrong because I probably am.

I have seen quite a bit of progress on other projects they’ve been up to, including working on track around the roundhouse, the roof of stalls 6-8, wiring, sewage, the turntable, and a few passenger cars they’ve been working on, etc. you get the idea. 4070 for a time just didn’t appear to be a priority because there are other pressing issues over at the site. Now more recently it does look like there is some major work being done on 4070, so only time will tell if this attempt of restoring 4070 will be successful (given I’ve seen actual photo progress, it’s already more successful than 7-8 years ago.)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:03 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
...From what I’ve heard, a lot of the lack of work on 4070 has been blamed on some of the older members and the entire “boys club” nature of it...

Exactly why I worry someday the guys who made the Tiger King series on Netflix will someday start poking around in railroad preservation... to many "good old boys clubs" and dramatic rivalries between organizations and individuals. I am glad to hear the group in question with 4070 seems to be moving beyond that with progress on their engine and roundhouse site... but trust me the "good old boys clubs" nature of a lot of operations is someday going to bite preservation in the rear.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:33 am 

Since someone asked, this is where the K4 Project was a year ago:

Tender was sandblasted prior to primer. I drew up digital files for letting the tender in the wider c.1946 format, from which disposable stencils were cut in a low-tack vinyl. Paint and clear coat were ordered, but the weather turned cold before any top coat was applied. With things as they are right now in the world, everything is on hold. I haven't been in to my usual spot at the archive desk since early March, let alone anything for this project (and I live across town).

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:39 am 

In other news, we can add East Broad Top 2-8-2s 14 and 16 to the list, as the EBT Foundation appears to have designated them as the first to run. Both locomotives have undergone asbestos abatement in stall 8.

From the EBT Facebook page:

16 was filled with water for the first time since late March of 1956 (Christopher Brang photo):

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:33 pm 

Recent good news from down under:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXo-6UvW3qk

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:49 pm 

Good news from the Northwest Railway Museum, Northern Pacific 924 steams...

https://trainmuseum.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... teams.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 pm 

Note in the Jasper Fitzhugh weekly newspaper that work has begun to restore Canadian National "Bullet Nose Betty" #6060. The Rocky Mountain Rail Society that owns the locomotive up in Alberta, Canada has decided to commence work on the 4-8-2 even though not all of the funds for her restoration are currently available. The 6060 is from the last group of steam locomotives purchased new by CN, of which 3 examples still exist. The 6060 last operated in 2011.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:59 pm 

As noted elsewhere on this forum, Rio Grande Southern 4-6-0 #20 has been steamed and operated at the Colorado RR Museum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm 

From an item on the AOTT website, SMS 0-6-0 #9 (ex-US Army #4023/ex-VBR 9/ex-NH&I 9) has had a successful hydro.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:06 pm 

The Alberta Railway Museum's 4-6-0, CN 1392 (MLW, built 1913) had a tube replaced this winter and more recently passed her hydro. Unfortunately the museum is not opening this year due to the pandemic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:09 pm 

Here's an update for all members and friends of New England Steam Corporation.  We have posted the first of what we hope will be a regular series of video updates surrounding the restoration of Maine Central 470.  Use the link below to begin the journey, and please, share it with your friends, colleagues, club members, and everyone who loves restoration of the age of steam railroading. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVuMwr_C09w

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:34 pm 

We have operated J&L 58 twice so far this year and she is running beautifully. No public runs this year but plan to be back for a full year of operations in 2021.

This year's focus has more to do with expanding the track to run on than doing any work to the locomotive itself. We will be constructing a new, larger tender this fall and winter with plans for a gas driven air compressor onboard to supply a straight air brake system. A new passenger car is also on the agenda to replace the Crown Metal Products car.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:36 am 

Made a quick stop at Coldwater, Michigan and found Terry, Travis and Trevor Bloom continuing their work on Little River Railroad 4-6-2 #110. Photo shows Travis tightening stack and headlight platform bolts while Trevor is up on the little Pacific's smokebox. New flues are evident as they complete the engines 15 year rebuild. Terry says they hope to have the locomotive running on Christmas trains this year.

Les

Attachments:
LRRR 10-18-20 002.JPG
LRRR 10-18-20 002.JPG [ 344.71 KiB | Viewed 6047 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next