It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: EAST BROAD TOP BEING SOLD PIECE BY PIECE
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 pm 

What about EBT #3 - Is it still in the shed at Mt Union?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:27 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
I've never laid eyes on it, but yes, EBT standard gauge 0-6-0 No. 3 is still supposed to be in the enginehouse in Mt. Union. As I understand it, when Mr. Kovalchick sold the Mt. Union yard to Mr. Salone, the enginehouse and its contents were specifically excluded from the deal.

Here is a picture I took in November 2015:
Attachment:
IMG_2257_compressed.jpg
IMG_2257_compressed.jpg [ 264.41 KiB | Viewed 6815 times ]

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:27 pm 

^Should be! No reports that it has been moved.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Well-placed rumor has it yet another chunk of the EBT is being sold off..........

Stay tuned for details............

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 am 

Film at 11am Eastern time, so we are told on the East Broad Top Facebook page. Be there or be L7.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:20 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Live feed on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/TrainsMagazine ... o_explicit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:38 pm 

Reviving this thread does raise a valid point to all this:

Review the thread from the beginning.

Today's acquisition STOPS at the south end of the Aughwick Creek concrete bridge 4 miles below Mt. Union station.

Mount Union is NOT included. 4.5 miles of route are not included.

There is STILL some question as to who exactly owns what up there. Steam loco 3, supposedly still in the EBT Mt. Union enginehouse, has SUPPOSEDLY been sold off by Kovalchick before this all happened.

According to this thread, the EBTRRPA owns ONLY the right-of-way. Not the rails, not the rolling stock, not the enginehouse, not whatever other structures remain.

Now what?

I specifically approached one of the men responsible for today's news with this question. He said "We're not focused on it AT ALL." (emphasis mine).

So: It's NOT "done" YET.

(At the south end, the acquisition stops at the road crossing entering Woodvale, which I suspect possibly has something to do with Kovalchick retaining what was the last active mine down there and its associated land and mineral rights.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:48 pm 

Sandy,

I watched the entire video of the press conference, and it sounds like the new organization got everything South of the concrete viaduct (does anyone know why they didn't also get the viaduct?), including all locomotives and rolling stock. In other words the most intact and viable parts of the railroad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:12 pm 

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that the portion sold to the Mt Union Connecting Railroad "owners"..which I believe is the same group in sorts that ran the EBT the last couple years?

I'm sure they will negotiate operations over that portion when the time comes. This is not a group of garage railfans taking over a defunct railroad. Its a group of well heeled railroaders, including former employee of the EBT.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:43 pm 

Important addenda:

I'm being informed by someone whose name we should know here that the purchase INCLUDES ALL ROLLING STOCK in Mount Union, EXCEPT FOR the aforementioned standard gauge 0-6-0 #3.

Further, plans are supposedly underway to relocate several flat cars and boxcars currently in the Mount Union yard to Orbisonia.

Our source confirmed that #3 has technically been sold PRIOR TO the negotiated line purchase by the Kovalchicks, but nobody who knows who the buyer is will say who it is--including Joe K. himself.

As for the stretch from Aughwick Creek to the Mount Union interchange, the fastest way to make the principals change the subject to any other topic seems to be to ask about that stretch.

This leads me to speculate that any of a number of reasons are possible:
*They are in the middle of either delicate negotiations or a different strategy to acquire the segment in question from the other "non-profit" or "operating company";
*Negotiations for purchase reached a stalemate, shouting match, or other acrimony;
*Litigation could be involved, maybe involving ownership versus payment or payment plan; and the Foundation has nothing to do with it and is staying clear;
*Something else similar is going on that, for whatever reason, the EBTF is staying out of.

We should all ignore this unless you are personally in a position to be legally involved. Yes, rail equipment has been "repossessed" before in preservation......

As for the southwestern end of the line, I am told that the right of way below the Wood(vale) road crossing is part and parcel of the former coal mine property at Alvan that the Kovalchicks have retained. I'm also told that some of the non-rail property retained still produces income in the form of leases by hunting clubs in the area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15