It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CP 29 needs truss rod washers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:25 am 

The Northwestern Pacific Railroad Historical Society (NWPRRHS) is actively restoring its Central Pacific Railroad coach 29, which was built in June 1869 by the the Wason Manufacturing Company of Springfield, MA.

We are installing numerous parts donated by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum, including body queen posts and truss rods from the former B&O coach 20, also built by Wason (in 1868).

CP 29 needs four truss rod washers to match those originally on the car. They were cast iron circles, 6 ¾ inches in outside diameter at the base, with a “half-round” perimeter ring.

The attached photo shows one of the washers on CP 29 when it was in Maintenance-of-Way service on the NWP around 1940.

You can reach me at mike_mnsn@comcast.net

Thank you.

Mike Manson

Attachments:
CP 29 truss rod washer.tif
CP 29 truss rod washer.tif [ 89.66 KiB | Viewed 5293 times ]

Post subject: Re: CP 29 needs truss rod washers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:19 am 

I'd look for some old scrap iron pistons and remove everything from them that isn't what you need. Much easier for just a couple iterations than gearing up to cast them new.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:53 am 

For just four pieces, I'm sure a good shop with CNC milling capabilities could make these. Start with a piece of round stock, have the concave part milled with a ball mill. Note, I'm not a machinist, but have worked as an electrician and assembler at a few automation shops, and have seen first hand what a CNC can do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Talk to the SPCRR (Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources) at Ardenwood Farm in Fremont. They have a pattern for a very similar washer. There were a couple of variations used on California built equipment.

They also have patterns for window lifts and latches and "Buntin" walk over seats.

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:13 am 

EDM wrote:
For just four pieces, I'm sure a good shop with CNC milling capabilities could make these. Start with a piece of round stock, have the concave part milled with a ball mill. Note, I'm not a machinist, but have worked as an electrician and assembler at a few automation shops, and have seen first hand what a CNC can do.

Just use a CNC lathe, the machine tool designed for ROUND parts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:26 am 

I agree with the CNC lathe, but the three shops that I have worked for got by just fine doing some round work on a CNC mill, then cutting things off with a conventional lathe. There just wasn't enough turning work to justify the expense of a CNC lathe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:42 am 

Thank you for the suggestions. I will contact the SPCRR group, and also work up the measurements for the washers in case we go with milling our own.

Mike