It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dash Cameras
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:36 pm 

Was thinking, in the modern sue happy society in which we live, have any tourist railroads or small shortlines thought of installing inexpensive automotive style dash cameras on their locomotives? Instead of the expensive railroad ones designed to withstand head on crashes at 70 mph, a $100-200 unit that can be mounted in the front and rear facing windows (For Diesels).

I'd think that if ever a case was brought against a tourist railroad concerning grade crossing equipment operation, whistle being blown, etc, that video footage would be a good piece of evidence.

On the other hand however, if your railroad was actually at fault, it would give evidence against you.

I suppose the RR would also have to assure the FRA that is not being installed to comply with any required event recorder regulation (granted they are required on locomotives travelling over 30 mph, a feat which most tourist railroads do not do).

Thoughts? Non-issue?

Post subject: Re: Dash Cameras
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:57 pm 

I have Viofo dashcams on my personal vehicles so that I'll be able to prove I was not at fault when a "self-driving" car hits me!

However, I suspect that the lenses on automotive dashcams are too wide-angle to be of use on a locomotive. Someone looking at the footage wouldn't be able to see that crossing signals had activated until the locomotive was in the crossing.