It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former PRR SW9 #8531 (now APD #13)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:17 pm 

Hello, everybody!

First of all, I want to let you know that I’m not a seller, nor a buyer and nor I am involved in this classified in any way, shape or form…

But I came across this vintage locomotive, an Albany Port District #13 (formerly PRR #8531, built in 1953 despite the incorrect year in the classified) online, which I recognize the colors of it from the pictures of that same train on rrpicturearchives.net and it’s on sale for an unknown price at an unspecified location in New York State.

Here’s a link for the former PRR locomotive for sale: http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... p?id=23176

Also, here’s a link for the same locomotive before it went on sale:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... ?id=144757

Sadly, I don’t have a best money in the world (and I’m not a rich person), but I hope any museum or any railfan group out there will purchase it and hopefully restore it back to its original “as-delivered” Pennsylvania Railroad paint scheme.

What do you people think of this locomotive in this classified?

EDIT (June 16, 2019): I forgot one thing, there's another former PRR SW9, a #8522 (now Albany Port District #12), built in 1952:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... x?id=14415

Last edited by Brakeman Bates on Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Former PRR SW9 #8531 (now APD #13)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:56 am 

What is an acceptable bid, versus the value of the locomotive? How will it be used? Who needs it? Where will it go to operate and be cared for? I'm a Pennsy guy myself, but you have so many unanswered questions here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm 

Maybe the Stourbridge RR? Strasburg RR? Steam Town? RR Museum Of PA?

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:32 pm 

Not being a student of Rudolf's invention, it is my understanding that 567C engines are to be greatly desired over 567B's. Is that true? Why?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:46 pm 

The C block (and newer) are far superior to the predecessor engines mostly because of the way the cooling water is introduced to the cylinders. The A and B blocks have large O ring seals that create a water pocket at the bottom of each liner against the block. Water flows here, directly in contact with the block, and into ports in the bottom of the liner. This is a major problem for leaks into the crankcase.

C and newer blocks eliminated these seals, closed off the bottom of the liners, ran a full length water supply pipe through the air box with bolt on jumper pipes to each cylinder. Far superior design that probably eliminates 99% of water leaks. Also, 567C can have 645 packs installed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:29 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Maybe the Stourbridge RR? Strasburg RR? Steam Town? RR Museum Of PA?

Robert

We don't know which museum or railfan group will possibly buy that train yet exactly, but hopefully, it's preserved one day.