It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On the hunt?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:45 pm 

Hey everyone, I am trying to locate two Alco Century units. One has a large cat engine powering it and the other was fitted with a GE 7FDLV16. Whom is the proud owners of these unique re-powered centuries? I've lost track of both.

Edit, I think I found the Cat powered C636. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBYUcRqIsHE Does it still exist though?

Robert

Post subject: Re: On the hunt?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 am 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Hey everyone, I am trying to locate two Alco Century units. One has a large cat engine powering it and the other was fitted with a GE 7FDLV16. Whom is the proud owners of these unique re-powered centuries? I've lost track of both.

Edit, I think I found the Cat powered C636. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBYUcRqIsHE Does it still exist though?

Robert

I don't know of any 251-powered Alcos that were repowered by 7FDL engines, only the Brazilian RS-3s that received 7FDL8 power when rebuilt by GE.
The M636-CAT was last heard still operable on Minnesota Commercial, but only as a B-unit due to some control issue. With all the 6-axle AC power hitting the auction block, I'm guessing any big Alco is about to be retired.

CD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 am 

I know NdeM repowered 6 axle GE u boats with 251 engines but I don’t think they did vise versa

SUNY Polytechnic Institute Alumni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:28 pm 

CD, What about the two Alco units rebuilt by GE as demonstrators for the NdeM. They never sold though and GE scrapped them after using the two units as load test units.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:51 am 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
CD, What about the two Alco units rebuilt by GE as demonstrators for the NdeM. They never sold though and GE scrapped them after using the two units as load test units.

Robert

The GE 'Super 7' ex-BC Rail MLW M630 demostrators are alive and well - and in regular use - on the Delaware-Lackawanna. I think they're both in 1990s GE corporate paint, think LMX B39-8.

CD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:41 pm 

CD, I stand corrected. I remember reading the GE Alco rebuilds had gotten cut up. Nice to see they survive.

Just need someone to swap in a 7FDLV16 into an Alco for shits and giggles. I bet it would smoke and chug similarly to an Alco 251.

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:06 am 

If you have someone who can spend the kind of money to reengine an Alco with a GE prime mover for "shits and giggles", lock him up. There are far more worthy restoration projects available for his resources to enable.

C'mon, man!!!

And by the way, it would smoke and chug exactly the same way it does in a GE car body.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:55 pm 

If you don't have some humor in this industry, You will end up going F'ing insane!

There is not many big 6 axle Alco's now so monkeying one up is not really an option. One can still find 251 power plants so using Alco engines in an Alco loco is the only choice. Unless cost happens to favor a 7FDLV16 pulled from something else being scrapped.

Robert