It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Berkshire tender comparison.
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 pm 

Just some observations about Berkshire tenders.

I remember seeing NKP 765 in 2015 with an extended coal bunker in the N&W style on the NS excursions. What stood out to me is how the tender was squatting pretty good on the front trucks under the coal bunker.

According to the NKP 765 wiki page the tender capacity is 44,000 lb (20,000 kg; 20 t) 22 short tons of coal and 22,000 gallons of water.

The extended coal bunker according to my best guess adds an additional 6 tons of coal bringing the total to 28 tons of coal.

Mean while, Rusting away at the Kentucky Railway Museum is former L&N Berkshire tender 1984. The 1984 is one of only two L&N Berkshire tenders not cut down and converted to auxiliary water tenders by the Southern RR/N&W steam program.

The L&N big Emma tenders have the following capacities for water and coal.

22,000 gallons of water and 25 tons of coal.

The two survivors of the L&N Big Emma 2-8-4 tenders are the 1984 and tender 1986.

Picture of 1984 https://www.deviantart.com/railguy365/art/Half-of-Louisville-and-Nashville-1984-613389113

Picture of 1966. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=954757

Wasn't L&N 1966 offered for sale recently? I seem to remember seeing it listed as such at one time. Hopefully it isn't scrapped if it is for sale. Looks rough around the edges.

Would it make any sense for the Fort Wayne RR Historical Society to acquire and use one of these L&N tenders instead of pushing their current tender limits and possibly damaging the frame or trucks?

I would enjoy seeing one of these two tenders behind NKP 765 on extended excursions with the slight increase of coal capacity and the distinctive N&W styling.

This is my own $0.02 worth which is completely worthless.

Robert