It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: 643 for sale on eBay?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:51 am 

Yes, that 643. The 2-10-4 in McKees Rocks, Pa. Yes, I’m serious, or at least I think I am. Here’s a link to the ad. I make no claims as to the origin or authenticity of the ad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1944-Baldwin-L ... BjP78xqP_s

Post subject: Re: 643 for sale on eBay?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 am 

Buy it now price of $575K or make offer.

Of course the loco could be free and you’re still going to need some serious cash to get it out of the current location. I suppose CSX could make a temp connection to load it on a flatcar, IF you throw massive money at it. Maybe ship it to a nearby steel mill museum for now? That’s assuming Sugar Creek doesn’t stick with their “collect ‘em all!” approach.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:08 am 

The seller's recent sales history consists of: a motorcycle seat, a bicycle gear, a skateboard, a bluetooth speaker, a Seiko wristwatch, and a humidifier. Barely over $1000 in sales. I hate to be a pessimist, but I think this auction represents the death throws of BLE 643. RIP.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:27 am 

Seems strange that it's listed under "Ebay motors other vehicles."

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:08 am 

"local pickup only" What no Amazon Prime?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:28 am 

Randy,

eBay motors? Maybe Jay Leno is monitoring.....he does like his Dobles......Tongue-in-cheek.

Since he has the Dobles, stationary steam and a traction engine, it would be a logical progression.

Rigging and hauling would cost 1/4 that much.

Hoping it can survive and stay in the Pittsburgh area.

Regards,

Randy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:59 am 

I only know second-hand information on this engine but the word on the street is she was poised to go to Steamtown and operable back in the 1990s. Does anyone know this to be true? If so what happened?

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 am 

Acting as a friend of the court I attempted to put a deal together wherein this locomotive would have gone to the AOS collection. Jerry Jacobson would have gone to the expense of mounting it on flatcars and dismounting it on the Ohio end etc. ( at that time the siding it sits on was still connected to live CSX rail) and all the other issues involved.

Sadly the owner had totally unrealistic notions of its value and the deal never happened.

Some what akin to the guy in Vancouver, BC whose passenger car collection sat in that beer storage house forever.

I'm sad to say that the odds are that this engine will eventually get scrapped in place. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:57 am 

If there is any legitimacy to the sale, I'm certain AOS would have their "ears to the rail", so to speak. It would be an amazing snag for the posterity of the museum and locomotive. If she's in such good condition, AOS would be the one place that could do her justice.
I wonder what the scrap value is on the locomotive? I mean, really, eBay is such a dumb option for sale of this locomotive.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:04 am 

Yeah, I heard about that. I even watched the listing! To be honest, eBay seems like an odd place to sell a steam locomotive. I have intentions to buy me a locomotive one of these days just for kicks and grins (and not to mention bragging rights), but it probably won’t be this locomotive. (Currently looking at the Florida East Coast 113 listing on Ozark Mountain Railcar, Which is around $300,000 cheaper than this locomotive.) And yes, I am crazy.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:31 am 

The whole thing seems strange. The pictures are lousy, the description is lacking, it’s on eBay. But other rolling stock has been sold there. It may be a spoof, it may be legit. Word on the street is they’ve been doing some aggressive brush cutting. Prep for a sale or spring cleaning?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:28 am 

I agree with Mr. Harbison, particularly when the seller's ebay history does not seem to include anything else rail related or anything else of substantial value. On the other hand, at this point nothing would surprise me concerning this locomotive. As far as the Steamtown deal, from what I've understood, the owner backed out of the deal at the last minute, and the engine has sat in Mckees Rocks and slowly deteriorated ever since. The engine did have substantial work done in the late 80's, early 90's, and was steam tested but never moved, and it's overall condition now is anyone's guess.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 am 

Very simple. Click "Contact Seller" option, open up conversation with seller.
Or? If you feel bold, click "Make an Offer" button and then really open up a conversation.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 am 

As I recall, the story re: Steamtown and this engine was: there were two owners of the engine. One passed away, and his heirs brokered a sale of the engine to the Steamtown Foundation. This was at the time of the Steamtown Grand Opening in (as I recall) 1994. But the other owner backed out, thinking the offer wasn't enough. And, as I recall, the current owner is named Glen Campbell, but is no relation to the country music performer of the same name.

Since the early 1990s people in and outside the Pittsburgh community have been attempting to work with the owner to get this engine removed from its current location and preserved.

Is it possible the owner is now deceased?

Chris.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:56 am 

I am not sure what the problem is with the guy listing it on ebay is? Rolling stock including locomotives is often listed on ebay, you just have to look for it. It's his choice of selling platform, he has good feedback, if you are curious you can always hit the "contact seller" button and shoot him a message.
And yes I have purchased rolling stock on ebay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next