It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vapor Caban Stove manual
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 pm 

We are looking for a manual or a copy of one that details how to maintain the Vapor Caban Caboose Stoves. We have several that are in need of some help and would like to work on them this coming spring and summer. The Great Plains Transportation Museum, Wichita, Kansas

Post subject: Re: Vapor Caban Stove manual
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:57 pm 

The only thing I could find online is this photo, and it isn't even legible, but I would bet you have seen this already. This question comes up from time to time, it may be that the plate on the stove is the only instructions ever received by the railroads. I did find a manual for a similar stove used in ships apparently: http://dickinsonmarine.com/Manuals/Dies ... 2011-2.pdf

The smell those things gave off, from both cabooses and camp cars, is permanently in my brain.

Attachments:
vintage-vapor-caban-diesel-heater_1_d8fc797f5d8158a92e7243c537956f00.jpg
vintage-vapor-caban-diesel-heater_1_d8fc797f5d8158a92e7243c537956f00.jpg [ 39.6 KiB | Viewed 8697 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:42 pm 

Here's a 1964 version of the instructions.

http://www.trainweb.org/oldmainline/prr/pg09h7xcaban2.jpg

I haven't found a manual online yet. I'd be happy to host a copy if someone coughs up a scan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:13 pm 

PMC and Jayrod thanks for you input on this. It is one of those needle in a haystack things but there has to be something other than what we have found so far. The link that PMC had gave me some insight into what may be going on with the one we are having trouble with. It would be nice to have as much info as possible about them. The control valve is a fairly simple divice but there are some settings I am sure would be helpful to know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 pm 

I'd have to hope that with all the Cabans and San-O-Cabs installed, especially in the northeast, that a historical society or or maybe even a car shop somewhere has a manual buried in their files. Maybe one will turn up. Hope springs eternal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:56 pm 

I was able to locate the operation, service manual and parts list for Vapor Caban heaters. PM me your email address and I'll send you a PDF.

EBL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:10 pm 

E.B. Levin wrote:
I was able to locate the operation, service manual and parts list for Vapor Caban heaters. PM me your email address and I'll send you a PDF.

EBL

Would you be willing to attach them to a post here? That way when someone does a search for them on RyPN in the future they will show up.

Edit: From backchannels I have discovered that the pdf file of the Vapor Caban stove manual is too large to post here, but E.B. Levin has it and is willing to share, should anyone do a search about it in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 pm 

Hi all, I been working on a Vapor Caban Stove for a while helping out on a caboose restoration project and would like to know how these stove we’re hooked up to the cars hot water tank.
I know how the tank is plumbed using thermal dynamics to cycle the water through the heating coil and back to the tank. However this stove has no ports to install a coil inside the burn chamber or even build a copper heat exchanger outside of it on the back between the burn chamber and exterior grating.
If anyone has experience with using one of these caboose stoves to produce hot water I would appreciate your opinion and experience.
My stove does fire up nicely.
If anyone still has the manual I’d like see it.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:59 pm 

I've uploaded a copy graciously provided by Eric Levin to my preservation page page for downloading: https://bigeprod.com/rrPreservation.html. It's towards the bottom of the page.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:15 pm 

I'm going to see if I can provide a compressed version that will 'fit' on the site for reference, too. I'll edit this post to contain it when I do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 pm 

As far as I can tell, it's a scan of a photocopy making the pages comprised of simple bit map images. Hence, I can only get it down to 3.61MB with Acrobat 10 compatibility. Please do let us know if you can get it smaller without degrading the image quality.

I don't mind hosting large files at this time but it sure would be nice if there was an archive page on this site for one stop shopping. I've offered previously to help with the RyPN site.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:16 pm 

Thank you Eric for posting the link to the manual for the Caban stove. I am looking for a manufacturer's date or the earliest date that these stoves began to be used in cabooses.
Does anyone out there have the patent? or the answer?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:24 am 

A patent number, if there is one, might be on the ID plate with the model and serial number. Then you should be able to track the patent online. That’ll get you in the ballpark of when they went to market. We don’t have any Cabans, just a few San-O-Cabs. Seems to me that these heaters started to proliferate in the late fifties though I could be easily wrong on that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:40 pm 

Did a check on the trademark. The word CABAN was trademarked by Vapor Corporation in 1957 so it’s safe to say production started about then.