It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Preserved baggage/express/Horse Cars?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:12 pm 

From the responses that have been posted, it seems that there are very few preserved horse cars in any shape or form. And even fewer that went to preservation without passing through M/W service and possibly loosing the folding stalls.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:01 pm 

NKP779 wrote:
CPR had a series of 1940 era cars that were used by the RCMP in moving their horses around Canada for their public exhibitions. One of those landed in the USA, was remodeled, and operated as the PONY EXPRESS. It was even approved by Amtrak, mostly on the west coast. I don't know that it has operated in 2 or 3 years and was stored in California last that I heard of.

I remember seeing Pony Express for sale, though I don't remember where. I don't see it on OMR's sold page.

Edit: Found it, along with current interior photos.
http://www.railmerchants.net/pony/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:57 pm 

Here's one of the French cars, preserved at Fort Lewis, Wash. Mid 90's. Hommes 40...Chevaux 8. No doubt American Doughboys, got to ride them as well. The Fort was well served with rail lines. I'm told "Lewis" had its own railway battalion.

Attachments:
Fort Lewis Railcar mid 90's.jpg
Fort Lewis Railcar mid 90's.jpg [ 329.39 KiB | Viewed 7266 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm 

Old Smokey wrote:
Here's one of the French cars, preserved at Fort Lewis, Wash. Mid 90's. Hommes 40...Chevaux 8. No doubt American Doughboys, got to ride them as well. The Fort was well served with rail lines. I'm told "Lewis" had its own railway battalion.
That is not the kind of horse cars that I'm asking about. I am asking about the cars used by the North American railroads to move race and show horses. These cars typically look like baggage cars, but they have collapsible stalls, facilities for a groom/attendant traveling with the horses, and often large end doors on one end to load an automobile that would be used by the owner or trainer at the location of the race or show.

Brian Norden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:47 pm 

Were end-door theater-scenery cars used interchangeably with horse cars? Maybe with enough hosing out . . . I think there is one of the PRR cars named for opera characters at the museum in North Judson, IN.

Operating off dim memories, about 5 years ago I spotted a two-car set of private cars near the Santa Fe depot/hotel in Winslow, Arizona. One car was a baggage car converted to a generator car, but I can't recall if its end doors were original or built new to facilitate installing the engine-generator. A CPR lightweight, maybe?

Aarne Frobom
Bayreuth, Michigan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:29 pm 

Aarne H. Frobom wrote:
Were end-door theater-scenery cars used interchangeably with horse cars? Maybe with enough hosing out . . . I think there is one of the PRR cars named for opera characters at the museum in North Judson, IN.

Aarne Frobom
Bayreuth, Michigan

Aarne -

I really wish we DID have such a car at Hoosier Valley in North Judson, Indiana, but we don't. We do have a Nickel Plate Road baggage/automobile car with end doors that open (NKP 344) which was recently repainted. Our Pennsylvania Railroad equipment representation at HVRM is woefully small! The PRR was the main railroad that ran through North Judson.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:23 pm 

ATSF 1993 is privately owned and stored at Cedar Park, TX in the Austin Steam Train Assn. yard.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:39 pm 

At the Southeastern Railway Musuem, the Central of Georgia Baggage car 405 is a converted cavalry car built by Pullman in 1916.

https://www.train-museum.org/locomotive ... fice-cars/

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3707/1057 ... 984feb.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm 

The ex-New York, New Haven & Hartford RR 3841 (built in 1906 by Osgood-Bradley, Worcester Ma as NY,NH&H 3068) was Baggage/Horse car, the stall pockets are still in the wall. The car is located at the Connecticut Eastern RR Museum in Willimantic, Ct. She was renumbered in 1927 after receiving a steel frame upgrade at the Readville Shops.

Naugatuck Valley might also have a one ex-NY,NH&H of the same series. Not sure if Essex Steam/Valley RR kept one.

I know of another one of the same series in Kent CT, that is an art gallery in the center of town. a couple years back I spoke to the owner/attendant, but they were too Hoity-Toity to accept that their gallery used to carry horses even after I pointed out the pockets that were about a stall length apart.

Rich C.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:56 pm 

Sister New Haven baggage car #3802, originally a horse car, survives as the home for the Cape Cod Model Railroad Club in West Barnstable, MA. Prior to its move to West Barnstable in the late 1960s, it sat for years in Hyannis yard as MOW storage.

The car recently had some repairs and painting done by local inmates, per this article.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 am 

Bill Reidy wrote:
Sister New Haven baggage car #3802, originally a horse car, survives as the home for the Cape Cod Model Railroad Club in West Barnstable, MA. Prior to its move to West Barnstable in the late 1960s, it sat for years in Hyannis yard as MOW storage.

The car recently had some repairs and painting done by local inmates, per this article.

Bill -

Thanks for posting this. Interesting that four inmates from the county jail, with a supervising deputy, worked on the restoration of NYNH&H baggage car 3802, used by the model railroad club there in West Barnstable, MA. However, I see that the posting dates back a bit over 3 years (November 2015) and I wonder if the restoration was completed? The model railroad club apparently also owns a rare Delaware & Hudson end cupola wood caboose. Not sure if the club has ties to the Cape Cod Chapter of NRHS which maintains the West Barnstable passenger station.

The use of inmates (and deputy) is interesting and I wonder how much of this has occurred at other railroad museums? Maybe a separate thread is in order.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:44 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
The use of inmates (and deputy) is interesting and I wonder how much of this has occurred at other railroad museums? Maybe a separate thread is in order.
Les

In the past the Alberta Railway Museum was able to use "Community Service Volunteers", as they are called here. These are folks who for whatever reason were sentenced to community service.

For some time it worked out quite well, and the Museum got a lot of manual labour (groundskeeping, painting, etc) out of them. But as time went on things began to change, the original regular Guards had been quite impressed with the place (one even became a regular volunteer for a time) but they moved on, and their replacements were more interested in drinking coffee while sitting in the van as opposed to actually supervising their charges. More restrictions came into effect too, we could no longer have the CSV's use power tools or equipment and they ended up having the right to refuse certain other work as well, if THEY deemed it undesirable.

Eventually the program ended up being more trouble than it was worth, and we ceased using CSV's around 5 years ago. But a properly managed program has the potential to be quite beneficial.

I will copy and paste this if another thread ends up being started on this topic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:53 pm 

PRR B74b Horse Express car 5840 "Saratoga Springs" is in the collection of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania.

It was acquired by Juniata Terminal Company from Conrail in 1985. PRR had converted it to MW power car PRR 490014 at Renovo. We donated it to the State along with Budd built 10-6 sleeper Scioto Rapids sometime in the early 90's

EBL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:30 pm 

Good Afternoon and sorry to be late to the post...

As Bill Reidy noted, the Barnstable County Sheriffs Department was kind enough to have a very experienced work-crew to rebuild our stairways, stabilize the ends and repaint the Baggage Car.

One of the stop-gaps was the placement of particle board at the end of the Baggage Car in anticipation that the corners would need to be fully replaced.

June 2019 and that day has arrived as club members have invested in over $750 in Cedar and Marine Glue (wow is that stuff expensive) to build four new corners for 3802.

We first took six of the best 2x2 cedar lengths and after having made an angled 15º cut we lined them up in a custom jig that Club Secretary Doug Butler built, painted the insides with Marine Glue and clamped them together.

After 24 hours of drying, the newly curved piece was brought to the club where Doug used a traditional hand plane to smoothen the surface before it was sanded, primed and painted. We will be replacing the corner piece in the next few weeks and at that time replacing the particle board with proper cedar 2x2 tongue and groove.

Finally we have build two new end doors to replace the older versions. In the past month we have kept ourselves amused by joking that the old New Haven Shops in Readville may have been pleased with our replication of their methods...

Attachments:
File comment: Cape Cod Model RR Club & Museum Secretary Doug Butler takes his hand planer to smooth the side of one of the new unfinished corners to New Haven Baggage Car 3802. From the background, his wife Nancy supervises.
Doug_2019.jpg
Doug_2019.jpg [ 192.85 KiB | Viewed 6212 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:37 pm 

Here is a photo of our old Horse Car, the 3802

Attachments:
File comment: Cape Cod Model RR Club & Museum
Baggage Car-2.jpg
Baggage Car-2.jpg [ 154.04 KiB | Viewed 6209 times ]