It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dick Ridderband
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am 

My Dad graduated from Hollywood High in 1929 and kept in touch with many friends, one of whom was Dick Ridderband (sp?). I was told that Ridderband once owned a former D&RGW business car that he kept in the SP coachyard, and often used to travel around in with his many friends.
Dad died in the '80's and I've not been able to find out anything about the car or Ridderband himself.
Has anybody ever heard of him? Or the car?
Thanks in advance.
Ned

Post subject: Re: Dick Ridderband
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:12 am 

Hello Ned,

Dick Ritterband past away several years ago. He was just a few months short of his 101st birthday. He was a member of the Railway and Locomotive Historical Society, Southern California Chapter. At one time he did own a former D&RGW Observation Car. He also co-owned the ATSF 1509 (at PSRM in Campo) with Ed Cheatham. I knew that he taught Graphic Arts (Printing) at Santa Monica High School before he retired. He was also involved with the production of Pacific Railway Journal that was produced by R&LHS, ERA, and PRS in the 50's and early 60's.

Regards,

Clyde

Post subject: Re: Dick Ridderband
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm 

Many thanks for the info Clyde. They were an interesting group of guys, including several cinematographers, one of whom, Frank Keller, got an academy award for the filming of "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen. Frank's brother Al, told me that one day, the D&RGW car, which was kept in the SP coach yard, needed new wheelsets. The SP was scrapping some heavyweight cars, and the foreman called Dick and asked him if he wanted them to put a set of 6-axle roller bearing trucks under his car? Naturally, he said "yes", and they were installed free! Really neat group of people.