It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surviving Lake Superior and Ishpeming 2-8-0s
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:37 am 

I wrote another article. This one is on the surviving LS&I consolidations. I encountered many gaps in stories and conflicting reports, so if you have a historical correction please contact me locogato02@gmail.com. Please check it out

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... qgdfig/pub

Post subject: Re: Surviving Lake Superior and Ishpeming 2-8-0s
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 am 

#34 / WMSR #734 wasn't "pulled from service for operating troubles"... it simply ran out of "In Service Day's" on it's boiler. It needs a "1472 Inspection" as most of the running gear and wheel work was done the winters prior to it's shutdown.

Tim W.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 am 

Being equipped with surface to air missiles is a new one on me. I'm sure the conventional story about using her as a target drone is the accurate one rather than automating and weaponizing a steam locomotive for rail-mobile SAM experiments.

I've never seen this exact reference posted, but the August 1967 issue of Trains Magazine has a note about the #32 and a picture I've never seen online.

"Now inspect the headlight and bell-less 2-8-0 on this page, ex-Lake Superior & Ishpeming No. 32. She's automated (read remote-controlled). Serving as a drone target for a new Navy weapons system, the old Baldwin Consolidation runs, or did run if the Navy got on target, up and down a 2 1/2 mile track on a test range of the Elgin Air Force Base in Florida. Men located in a control tower a mile from the target employ a radio transmitter to operate No. 32's throttle, brakes, reverse, and whistle. The engine also mounts an electric governor and a speed indicator to allow her controllers to preselect her gait."

Has a few extra details that I've never seen mentioned before about her final days as a target drone for weapons testing. I wonder if she met her end at the hands of a AGM-62 Walleye? The timing would seem to be just about right, since that's about when the navy started to use those television-guided glide bombs over in Vietnam.

Seems logical that they might want to experiment with hitting a moving train powered by a locomotive with similarities to what they'd encounter over North Vietnam, and I doubt they'd go to all this trouble just to refine conventional techniques like strafing that had already been proven in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:15 am 

What happened to #34's original tender?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:07 am 

There are errors in the listings for both 34 and 35. The date of purchase of the 35 is incorrect; 1983 sounds better than 1963. Maybe Dennis Daugherty will chime in and confirm.

The 34 was purchase by Herbert N. W. Hansen, a businessman in Elgin, IL sometime in the early seventies or late sixties. The engine was stored on a siding in Elgin for several years, during which time vandals set fire to the coal in the tender, and both the cab and tender were severely damaged. The locomotive was moved out to Union in the early seventies while Mr. Hansen was president of IRM. Ownership was later conveyed to the museum.

When Dennis Daugherty purchased the 35 and moved it to Union, the decision was made to place that engine in the collection, as it was one of the few surviving examples of a locomotive equipped with a tender booster, and the 34 was deemed surplus.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:57 am 

NS 3322 wrote:

The last I saw of it, it was up near Frostburg, and coupled to the USATC 2-8-0 under gradual restoration at a construction equipment dealership there. This is the engine profiled in another thread that was rebuilt with a Franklin poppet valve system that, if I recall correctly, features automatic cutoff adjustments. All the engineer has to do is set the engine in forward or reverse, just like a diesel.

I'm a bit short on time just now, but maybe someone else can look up that thread and connect it here for reference.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:10 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:

It is stored at the WMSR shops in rather poor condition with the WM fireball paint scheme

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:17 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
There are errors in the listings for both 34 and 35. The date of purchase of the 35 is incorrect; 1983 sounds better than 1963.

I have changed my errors, thank you for the information.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:18 pm 

YeOldeEnjine wrote:
#34 / WMSR #734 wasn't "pulled from service for operating troubles"... it simply ran out of "In Service Day's" on it's boiler. It needs a "1472 Inspection" as most of the running gear and wheel work was done the winters prior to it's shutdown.

Tim W.

Thank you for your corrections, my errors have been fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:24 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
NS 3322 wrote:

The last I saw of it, it was up near Frostburg, and coupled to the USATC 2-8-0 under gradual restoration at a construction equipment dealership there. This is the engine profiled in another thread that was rebuilt with a Franklin poppet valve system that, if I recall correctly, features automatic cutoff adjustments. All the engineer has to do is set the engine in forward or reverse, just like a diesel.

I'm a bit short on time just now, but maybe someone else can look up that thread and connect it here for reference.

Here is the link to that thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27687&start=105

My mistake, I was under the impression that it was still at the WMSR due to a photo I recently saw. That's a very interesting system for operation and I am glad that the tender is being restored.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 pm 

Will the WMSR overhaul the #34 after the #1309?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:07 pm 

Class SC-4 2-8-0 #21 is not at North Lake, Wisconsin. After the Kettle Moraine Railway closed down, the rolling stock and other items were moved elsewhere. I am not sure exactly where number 21 is now located, or what its restoration status is currently, but it is NOT at North Lake.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:00 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Class SC-4 2-8-0 #21 is not at North Lake, Wisconsin. After the Kettle Moraine Railway closed down, the rolling stock and other items were moved elsewhere. I am not sure exactly where number 21 is now located, or what its restoration status is currently, but it is NOT at North Lake.

Les

Well this is news to me! It was there a few years ago. It looks like the shops have been demolished at North Lake.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:38 pm 

Isn't No.21 at Mid Continent or is that No.23?

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:00 pm 

LS&I #22 resides at MC. Recently was moved from land locked siding and is soon to be moved undercover for storage/display. From my understanding anyway. She was recently cosmetically restored by the owners. #22 is privately owned. Regards, John.

http://www.midcontinent.org/equipment-r ... peming-22/