It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iowa Pacific/Marc E-unit and passenger cars in Bensenville
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:35 pm 

Looking for some information on the Iowa Pacific ex MARC E-unit #91 and the two IC? passenger cars behind it that are on a random siding in Bensenville, IL. Specifically the two passenger cars mainly as I've found info on the #91 as it was originally CB&Q 9973. Can't seem to find any info on the two passenger cars though. Are there any plans for these in the future?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Iowa Pacific/Marc E-unit and passenger cars in Bensenvil
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:22 pm 

MJV1988 wrote:
Looking for some information on the Iowa Pacific ex MARC E-unit #91 and the two IC? passenger cars behind it that are on a random siding in Bensenville, IL. Specifically the two passenger cars mainly as I've found info on the #91 as it was originally CB&Q 9973. Can't seem to find any info on the two passenger cars though. Are there any plans for these in the future?

Thanks.

Are these the only remaining Iowa Pacific equipment left in Bensenville?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:18 pm 

I'm not 100% sure on that. I know last December when I was out there it was just those 3 sitting there. I used to deliver around the area and not too far northwest from that spot was a bunch of old metra coaches sitting on a track as well. But those were off of Devon and 83 on a side street that I can't remember. I'm just trying to get more information on the passenger cars behind the MARC E-unit for now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 pm 

MJV1988 wrote:
I'm not 100% sure on that. I know last December when I was out there it was just those 3 sitting there. I used to deliver around the area and not too far northwest from that spot was a bunch of old metra coaches sitting on a track as well. But those were off of Devon and 83 on a side street that I can't remember. I'm just trying to get more information on the passenger cars behind the MARC E-unit for now.

Do you have any photos?
This is the best one I could find, but no photos of the passenger cars.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:09 pm 

Would MARC #81 have been #7181 at one time? I took this photo at Brunswick, MD in 1985.

Attachments:
185c0550.jpg
185c0550.jpg [ 68.22 KiB | Viewed 11458 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:23 pm 

WVNorthern, the photo of MARC 7181 is an F unit (note the B-B trucks), I believe, but may be wrong and ex B&O loco. Iowa Pacific ex MARC 91 is an E unit. Have fun - David Notarius, Wimblington UK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:26 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
MJV1988 wrote:

Do you have any photos?
This is the best one I could find, but no photos of the passenger cars.

None at the moment. I'll have to see what I can do when I get time. Most of the time I leave work it's almost or completely dark out by then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:51 pm 

So after some searching. I'm pretty sure I found our two cars. I'll have to go see them in person soon again. But I'm pretty these are them. Found this
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... n-illinois

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:59 pm 

Is Ex-Marc 91 the E8 that was stripped to provide prime movers etc. to rebuild the B unit now at IRM?
Alan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:28 pm 

Reading 900 wrote:
Is Ex-Marc 91 the E8 that was stripped to provide prime movers etc. to rebuild the B unit now at IRM?
Alan

That is correct! Although I believe the B unit is/was loaned to WSOR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:16 pm 

This is the post I posted on this subject over on Trainorders.

The Wisconsin Southern did rebuild a B unit with the internals from this A unit. They used it to make an A-B-A set for their business train. The units were both sourced from the Illinois Railway Museum, and the B unit has since been returned to the museum in Wisconsin Southern executive livery. The B unit had been Union pacific 967B before going to Michigan Northern as 671 who converted it into a steam generator car, and had a lot of the internal components removed. Hate to loose an operational A unit, but the chance to have an A-B-A set of E units for the museum was a real draw. The IRM has two Milwaukee E-9A's (33C, 37A), one CB&Q E-9 (ex MARC 92, CB&Q 9976, BN 9908), Executive locomotive BN-3 E-9AM ( Along with BN-1 F9-A & BN-2 F-9B), and the CB&Q E-5A 9911, ( only one to survive).

The plans that I have heard is to return the BN 9908 to silver paint and the original number 9976 to pair up with the stainless steel E-5. The ex. UP 967B would look great in armor yellow and paired with the two Milwaukee E's in their own version of armor yellow. Both Milwaukee E's are in the diesel barn and have had restoration work started.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:29 am 

Michigan Northern as 671 who converted it into a steam generator car,

Michigan Northern didn't turn the B unit into a boiler car, Amtrak did, to handle the brief period when they had lots of new HEP power but were still running trains that needed steam.

Or more specifically, Amtrak's contractor. I don't know who did the work on this one but the one that went back to UP was done by ICG/Paducah which is ironic as Paducah (as VMV) did the work to rebuild the 3 UP E's into what some call "E38-2s" due to the single 16-645's that were installed.

had a lot of the internal components removed.

Everything, so far as I know. Empty carbody into which steam generators, water tanks, and a diesel genset were installed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:13 pm 

Thanks for the clarifications!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 pm 

Found this in the classifieds:

KenBitten wrote:
Iowa Pacific Holdings will be disposing of former MARC 91 (originally CB&Q 9973). This is a carbody only, no prime movers, generators, traction motors or any other internal components. We intend to retain the trucks and wheel sets, but this could be negotiable. The carbody will be scrapped or otherwise disposed of within the next 45 days.

Please contact Ken Bitten at 410-336-1605 or bittenk@iowapacific.com if you are interested. Buyer will be responsible for all transportation and other costs.

I wonder if the derelict passenger cars will be scrapped as well?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:01 pm 

NS 3322 wrote:
Found this in the classifieds:

KenBitten wrote:
Iowa Pacific Holdings will be disposing of former MARC 91 (originally CB&Q 9973). This is a carbody only, no prime movers, generators, traction motors or any other internal components. We intend to retain the trucks and wheel sets, but this could be negotiable. The carbody will be scrapped or otherwise disposed of within the next 45 days.

Please contact Ken Bitten at 410-336-1605 or bittenk@iowapacific.com if you are interested. Buyer will be responsible for all transportation and other costs.

I wonder if the derelict passenger cars will be scrapped as well?

I went and saw the 2 cars (IC and NYC) and the 91 last fall and all were in very poor vandalized shape inside and out. I wouldn't be surprised sadly.