It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Zanesville & Western Scenic Railroad's beginnings
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:21 am 

This organization, developed in 2008, known as the Zanesville and Western Scenic Railroad, operates train rides on the old original Zanesville and Western Railroad line.

The tourist railroad originally began in 1982 as the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad. It operated between National Road at US 40 and Raccoon Creek in Heath, Ohio, on the outskirts of Newark on the old Baltimore and Ohio Shawnee Branch. Up until the late 80's, the train would also cross over US 40 where it would continue south past the depot until crossing underneath I70. The track was shortened and used for storing cabooses until the early 2000's when the track across US 40 was pulled. Passengers would typically board the train at the National Road Station (1875 built) and the old freight house, and ride through farmland, over bridges and creeks and pass farm houses, and rolling hills.

Beginning in 1983, the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad (BCSR) established a volunteer-staffed short line scenic railroad attraction in Licking County. The train initially ran about three miles between Rt. 40 across from Lakewood High School to Irving Wick Drive in Heath, and eventually across Hopewell Drive towards the Raccoon Creek bridge. A small station next to the south end of the line on Rt. 40 was used to sell souvenirs. The Newark, Heath, Buckeye Lake Scenic Railway was the corporate name for the BCSR.[1]

The founding of the BCSR began with former railroad employees, enthusiasts, collectors, and volunteers. A group of former B & O Railroad employees negotiated an agreement to lease the line from the Chessie Railroad at $1 per year. Chessie also donated five railroad cars. The engine was provided by one of the directors of the BCSR. [2]

The equipment included an EMD SW1, built in 1948 for the Pennsylvania Railroad by the Electro Motive Division as #5999, later Penn Central #8599 in 1968, Conrail #8599 in 1976 and then Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad. The 4 Canadian National coaches were acquired from the Cuyahoga Valley Line (now Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad) in the mid 1980's, and also owned an old B&O baggage car, a B&O Car (named Constitution), a Chessie System Caboose, N&W Caboose, C&O Caboose and an ex B&O gondola car. In the mid 1980's and early 1990's, 2-4-0 steam locomotive #7 from the PL&W ( Pittsburgh Lisbon and Western), American Viscose and Laurel Highland RR operated steam powered trips (some photos can be found online or at the Buckeye Express Diner in Bellville, Ohio). The steam locomotive operated at several other railroads until 1997 or 1998 and is now on display in McDonough, Georgia. Video footage of it near Youngstown (with some Ohio Central cars now at Age of Steam Roundhouse) can be found in these links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl2Kad8rkxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSZHuFYuMuc

There is also a 1992 newspaper that can be downloaded from the Newark Advocate of when steam locomotive #7 began running on the Buckeye Central. You can access it by subscribing to it online: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/289370145/

In 2003, #8599, and the four coaches went to Byesville, Ohio to help restart train service on the old Pennsylvania Railroad Marietta Branch to start the Byesville Scenic Railway. For two years, the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad operated their "Byesville Division" while back at home, the old line needed lots of work and repair, but a newly acquired Davenport Locomotive #4, which once operated at a coal mine and a Plymouth model JDT locomotive No. 7 (now in Colorado) operated short runs to White Chapel Road, including a Pumpkin Patch train. By mid 2005 and early 2006 Byesville Scenic Railway had their own equipment and the SW1 and coaches returned home to Jacksontown, Ohio. Footage of it in Byesville can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWwTlxfrNQY

Unfortunately, the old home met the coffin nail. In mid 2007, the Thomas J. Evans Foundation made a proposal of putting in a bike path in place. Operations were suspended for two weeks and on September 30, 2007, I rode the very last departure on their Final Runs out of Hebron. I had the opportunity to climb in #8599's cab, ring the bell and sound the horn (a Leslie RS5TFX “experimental” horn).

When the BCSR’s lease was not renewed by the current leaseholder, the Licking County Foundation, the train took its final passenger run in September 2007. Much of the equipment and the contents of the station were to be auctioned off. It was suggested that the track bed may be used as a bike path.[3]

The last runs I took can be seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqOq17wAlBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsiZ1SMCEs8

Many equipment was auctioned off, and the equipment which ended up moving out were as follows:

Chessie System Caboose (now stored in Granville)
Railroad signal at National Road Depot and Hopewell Drive (Mr Tree Farm Reynoldsburg)
Plymouth JDT #7 (unknown, possibly scrapped or in an unknown location)
Several MOW equipment
Several other coaches (unknown)
Old Amtrak Coach (now alongside the Ohio Central line in Newark at 21st Street)

The railroad then moved ALL the rest of their other equipment north to Hopewell Drive near Heath, Ohio. The track was then torn up south to the National Road depot from Hopewell.

In 2008, the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad and the Bass Run Rail Riders worked together to establish a new railway—the Zanesville and Western Scenic Railroad. The group planned to operate the new scenic railroad in Muskingum County. Several railroad cars, the cabooses, and the engine from the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad were to be utilized by the new ZWSR.[4]

[1], [2], [3], & [4] came from this link:

http://wiki.lickingcountylibrary.info/B ... ic_Railway

In summer 2008, the equipment was moved to Avondale. #8599 and the C&O Caboose and N&W Caboose sat between SR 93 and Crock Road across from Carter Lumber where temporary Santa Caboose days were held to raise funds for train rides and rehabilitation. Unfortunately, in 2012, vandals broke windows and the locomotive and two cars were taken back across the street to Carter Lumber on the old siding where trains were once loaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kdAoz1vepk

The other remaining equipment, the Constitution and B&O baggage car did not arrive at Avondale until 2009 or 2010, as I was told by ZWSR volunteers. I found the cars on Google Maps near the Ohio Central Switch in Avondale.

In 2009, the railroad acquired a privately owned bay window caboose from Cincinnati, and an old US Army 45 tonner #4541. Two 75 tonner Timken engines, a transfer caboose for MOW, high-rail trucks and an extra baggage car also arrived around 2009 or 2010.

In 2013, the railroad trucked the new diesel, B&O gondola and new caboose to Mt. Perry where operations finally began after a 6-year hiatus. Train rides currently run at Mount Perry between a bridge and Coopermill Road (many crossings were paved over since 2000). The railroad is intending to rehabilitate the line west to 668 (crossing completely taken out and hill removed in 2006) and into Glassrock, as well as repair bridges and head east to Fultonham and eventually Avondale, Ohio where the Ohio Central line connects up.

2014 saw the acquisition of an old open air car which will hopefully be used for MOW.

In 2016, a New York Central baggage car and an ex Long Island "ping pong" coach were acquired from Knightstown, Indiana.

As of 2019, the Zanesville and Western Scenic Railroad is now listed on the Ohio Rail Development Commission list of tourist railways in the state of Ohio.

For more information about train rides and how you can help visit http://zwsr.org/

Last edited by ediebold on Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Zanesville & Western Scenic Railroad's beginnings
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:48 am 

Excellent synopsis of one of the lesser known tourist operations.

Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:57 pm 

Neat little line which I was not aware of. Looks like the name came from a nearby short line that later became part of the NYC and is now mostly gone, but the current Z&WSR is a former B&O branch. Lots of bridges needing work according to the website http://zwsr.org/. If you need timbers the owners of the Kinzua viaduct in PA have (or had) been selling timbers that were installed before it was knocked down by a tornado.

Curious who owns the right of way, there have been discussions here recently about how public ownership can be fraught and tenuous.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:09 pm 

ediebold wrote:

Beginning in 1983, the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad (BCSR) established a volunteer-staffed short line scenic railroad attraction in Licking County.

In the mid 1980's and early 1990's, 2-4-0 steam locomotive #7 from the PL&W ( Pittsburgh Lisbon and Western), American Viscose and Laurel Highland RR operated steam powered trips (some photos can be found online or at the Buckeye Express Diner in Bellville, Ohio). The steam locomotive operated until 1993 and is now on display in McDonough, Georgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl2Kad8rkxw

The 2-4-0 looked and sounded good in this video. Also liked the dog at about the 12 minute mark that repeatedly "attacked" the little Porter and chased it away from its property! Apparently number 7 was a rebuild of an 0-4-0T and she seemed to have no problem with hauling 5 heavyweight coaches and a caboose. VIVA La Porter!

Les

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:20 pm 

Does anyone know what became of the former CNJ passenger cars that were used with number 7? Did they also end up with the Ohio Central/Age of Steam?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:54 pm 

derail wrote:
Does anyone know what became of the former CNJ passenger cars that were used with number 7? Did they also end up with the Ohio Central/Age of Steam?

It appears Laurel Highlands used 3 CNJ coaches.

1182 - now Age of Steam collection
1183 - now Everett Railroad
unknown # - burned by vandals and scrapped at Youngwood, PA, circa 2006.

- Alan Maples

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:06 am 

The PL&W was a short lived operation on the former Youngstown & Southern Railroad. The first of several operators of this line since the P&LE sold it off. At the end of the video the train is backing through Mill Rock Cut and yes the clearances are as tight as they look.

The Y&S has a fascinating history, far more interesting than many small short lines. It was a combination of the Youngstown & Suburban interurban line which ran north and south and the Pittsburgh Lisbon & Western that ran east and west. In the early 1930s the Pittsburgh Coal Co. desired to build their own railroad to move coal to Youngstown, gained control of both railroads and built a private railroad from the Ohio River to the PL&W and a connection between the PL&W and the Y&S. For a while secondhand 2-8-0s and 2-8-2s would move coal from the river to the electrified portion, where a pair of Baldwin Westinghouse electrics would move the trains to Youngstown.

The PRR was adamantly against the Y&S's scheme and opposed it greatly. However, previous trackage rights granted to the Y&S over their Canfield branch in Youngstown meant that all of that coal that was undercutting the PRR's rates rolled right over PRR track, and there was nothing they could do about it!

The Y&S is still alive, operated now by Indiana Boxcar. It is now getting an injection of new business as a C&D landfill is reopening in Negley. I have recently been hired part time to assist in trackwork, locomotive maintenance and whatever else is needed.

I am also the custodian of all of the Y&S corporate records dating back to the beginning of both railroads. Enough records to fill a small room. And from other sources I have obtained the PRR files relating to that Canfield Branch trackage rights dilemma and yet another set of files from the P&LE, where they were engaging in industrial espionage as President Yohe was trying to figure out if the Pittsburgh Coal Co. was going to build the private railroad (which of course it did).

BTW I was a volunteer for that PL&W tourist operation. I have one video of that operation:
https://youtu.be/oSZHuFYuMuc

In that video, No. 7 pulls an SW7 out of the enginehouse. Now an SW7 is not a large locomotive, but compared to No. 7 it is a giant!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:12 am 

Those CN/VIA Rail cars were on the Cuyahoga Valley Line until early 1994, so they were likely sold to the Buckeye Central shortly after. Anyone know much else about when/who they were built by, and their former numbers?

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:08 pm 

What ever happened to the B&O Baggage?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:57 am 

Boy, there's a lot of track to repair.

I found a 2018 schedule on their website, but much of the rest of it looked a tad behind.

They look like they're in a good spot for River Tubing Trains. Let the tubers into the water near Coopermill Road, and collect them at the bridge, and haul them back.

James

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:50 am 

This thread sure brought back a lot of memories!!!

I was a volunteer on the old BCSRR from 1996 to just before the end of operations. I joined up right after the end of the steam operations.

It’s really hard to look back and think about all those countless miles I racked up working up and down that little line. The late 90s was really the golden era for the old bcsrr. We’d have Wild West and Halloween specials, 5 cars all full and turning people away at the ticket office, 3 day weekends and every train sold out. I was young when I started there, there were a few of us under 30 at the time and some are still with us, many have passed.

I worked mostly as conductor and brakeman, occasionally engineer. If anyone has any questions about the equipment or operation, I can probably answer them. I remember it all like it was yesterday!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:02 am 

speedbird wrote:

If anyone has any questions about the equipment or operation, I can probably answer them. I remember it all like it was yesterday!

What is the line's current status, any chance of restarting operations?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:09 am 

I hung up my lantern in 2003 when they moved, and I never visited them in their new home. Sadly I don’t know anything about what they’re up to these days, but it’s not really anyone from the time I was at the BCSRR from what I understand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:44 pm 

I just remembered finding a 2007 report after the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad moved out after the Thomas J. Evans Foundation proposed a bike path between U.S. 40 in Jacksontown, Ohio and Hopewell Drive in Heath. Here's the auction results:

Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad Auction Results Railway Preservation News

Attended the Buckeye Central Scenic auction today. Was pretty disappointed in the sale. Outside the rail equipment most of the stuff being sold was household stuff and railroad knick-knacks. In many cases the auctioneer had to lump things into large lots to sell. I got there half hour before the start and got number 10. I don't think the numbers went over 30 so the turnout was light.

As far as the rail equipment goes here is what I was able to record. As with most auctions it was difficult to follow:

Plymouth switcher - sale declined ($1600 highest bid)
offered as basically operable, but batteries dead - about 16 ton
Davenport switcher - sale declined ($2500 highest bid)
offered for sale as needing minor mechanical work - 25 ton
Constitution coach - $200
sale was declined the first time around at a bid of $100 then sale repeated later.
B&O REA baggage car - $300
Chessie caboose - $4200
Ore car - no interested parties
Side dump car - sale declined (highest bid $300)
Installed set of gates and flashers - $250
2 12' double sided oak station benches - $575 each

The terms on the equipment was that they had to be removed from the property in their entirety by October 24th (1 1/2 weeks) that was apparently dictated by the landlord's eviction. the eviction apparently applied to the track only and not the station and storage grounds where they were more lenient on when items could be removed.

The tie crane and brush cutter listed on the auction were not put up for auction nor was the burro crane also there. I noticed that the burro had roller bearings, not sure about the tie crane. The rest of their equipment (a caboose and a couple coaches) were pushed a short distance up the line. The dump car and two ore cars which had been on the south side of US 40 at my last visit were now stored somewhere up the line and were put up for auction without being present. The crossing over US 40 and the track on the south side of the road were both gone.

The REA baggage car was unusual in that one entire end opened up to load large items. One attendee said he looked underneath and the side sills were nearly rotted away. It had been used as a workshop and supply storage. the contents, which might have been something I'd have bid on, were not offered separately. The Constitution had apparently be used as a snack bar and there were no internal fittings. There was a second ore car but they said that the ownership was in dispute so it would not be sold.

One bidder said he tried to contact the landlord about purchasing the rails but they would not reply, so one could suspect that the sale of the rails to a pre-arranged buyer could be a motivation for the eviction.

According to what I heard at the auction, the railroad plans to change its name and move to somewhere around Zanesville. Their NW-2 (?model?) was fired up and switching the auction equipment out front prior to bidding. After the sale it switched it around again (based on method of loading or dismantling I suppose.) One bidder said that it was a scrap dealer who bought one if the passenger cars but not sure which.

I wish better fortunes for the BCSRR crew in their new home, wherever that may be.

I told him that the NW2 was actually an SW1.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:02 pm 

I can tell you more than you’d ever want to know about most of that old equipment if you want. There was quite a bit more equipment too, guess it wasn’t at the auction since the successor line was using it.