It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:01 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
Updated disposition list from Ahead of the Torch:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =858139899

Looks like the ACL sleeper and NKP caboose were scrapped Monday, the NYC baggage car made it through Monday.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 pm 

See if this works, I video of what is going on now at ITM:
https://www.facebook.com/austin.mace.58 ... 953738842/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:09 pm 

Can't watch for more than a few seconds. Sickening.

Any ideas on the NYC baggage car? Will it die tomorrow?

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:34 pm 

The little Battery-Electric twin branch #4 at ITM apparently is still in danger of scrapping. I'll mail a $500 check to whomever can save it. Only rule on that is it must be going to a publicly accessible home of some kind-I am NOT bankrolling someone's private collection to be hidden away forever. Feel free to crosspost this wherever it might reach someone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 pm 

PMC wrote:
See if this works, I video of what is going on now at ITM:
https://www.facebook.com/austin.mace.58 ... 953738842/

That video isn't from this week... it's from last month when they started on the CTA cars.

It's definitely an ugly situation, although so far the carnage has been limited to a few items that were beyond saving or had damage like the 10-6 sleeper..

The two pieces most at risk of scrapping seem to be the Twin Branch battery and the NYC heavyweight baggage car. Just about everything else has an intended home.

With over 70 pieces still listed as on the property, I don't know how they can do that before the Friday deadline. ITM alone has around 17 pieces to move, two of which are locomotives. That implies 5-7 moves per day for the rest of the week just for their equipment and not including any of the items AOS or other buyers are trying to load.

Last edited by eolesen on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:46 pm 

ITM still has all three F units to move. The current list suggests ITM is retaining the Milw F units including the B unit. All this would be easier if they could interchange with NS to CSX and move all this by rail.

What about the group who owns the NYC Mohawk and the fire damaged tender from 2101? Could they get the NYC baggage car? Lakeshore Railroad Historical Foundation.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:32 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
Scranton Yard wrote:
I do not see anything in the Court's Order that would imply that the City of Noblesville or the City of Noblesville Parks and Recreation Board has the bulldozers lined up to flatten any remaining railcars left on the premises immediately after ITM is evicted.

Do you see anything that says they won't?

503 should certainly be fresh in our minds. Who knows what they'll do?

What happens if they say this:
"Clean up all that crap before they find a judge to repeal the order and allow them back in! I want it all out of there, today, now get moving!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:46 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
ITM still has all three F units to move. The current list suggests ITM is retaining the Milw F units including the B unit. All this would be easier if they could interchange with NS to CSX and move all this by rail.

Not possible. The HHPA owned mainline ends at 22nd Street, about a mile short of CSX in downtown Indy, and a half-mile short of the NS at Tipton.

It's too bad that calmer heads didn't prevail at the HHPA to come up with a way to allow ITM to pay month-to-month rent to store cars on the Tipton end of the line until they could move the equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:02 pm 

It's too bad that half mile segment could not be bridged in the dead of night for a couple hours to drag the ITM stuff out.

Your right about the lack of calm cooler heads prevailing in the ITM eviction.

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:31 pm 

Nothing new was scrapped and nothing new was pushed into the scrap area. They still haven't finished chewing up the ACL 10/6 sleeper yet.

The Budd cued up for departure yesterday departed, and a second semi rig came in and took another Budd. By about 6, rainstorms came in and put the kibbosh on crane activity for a short time. That did not stop them from loading up Budd #3 on a third?the first?trailer and it's cued up for departure tomorrow AM. They have found that stride they were looking for.

The Kentucky Steam crew found the thin sheetmetal that once wrapped around 587's boiler, and took it all, to use as patterns for the replacements. There was also a comical episode where the mighty 150t crane spent about 5 minutes reaching most of the way across the yard (including two people's vehicles) to reach an old workbench that was being evacuated. The crane didn't have anything better to do at the moment, but ”by the book” the crane time was worth more than the bench!

After some private business I returned to the site about 9pm for a last look. i passed the Singer locomotive leaving the site. i threw it a victory sign.

Last look it shall be; my father's fallen and so I must spirit back to MI for 24x7 Momcare.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:

What about the group who owns the NYC Mohawk and the fire damaged tender from 2101? Could they get the NYC baggage car? Lakeshore Railroad Historical Foundation.

Robert

You mean the National NYC Museum in Elkhart? I sent their director a message today with details pertaining to the artifact. It would appear they already have two similar baggage cars in worse shape than the one in Noblesville. If the spreadsheet were posted a month in advance I could see an organization stepping up, there's just no time left I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:

Robert

I'm not sure how this happened, but this note was credited to me. I did not write it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 pm 

Robert Opal wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:

Robert

I'm not sure how this happened, but this note was credited to me. I did not write it.

User BigBoy 4023 is another 'Robert', so, wrong Bob, Bob.

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:06 am 

There is a LOT of stuff there...a -LOT- of stuff!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AOTTORCH/permalink/1590678637727614/

I mean, there is a LOT OF STUFF!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AOTTORCH/permalink/1590683097727168/

These pictures taken today (Tuesday 7-10 at about 4 PM)

They have not scrapped or moved near as much as it sounds like. For those allergic to facebook, these pictures are rows and rows and deep long rows of cars, out in the woods, not even looking like they have been touched at all. Most of these cars don't look bad at all...almost ready to run and/or display. There just aint no way to get that much stuff moved in the next month, forget the next two days....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:00 am 

And imagine what an eyesore this was from the city's perspective, which was a major part of the dispute in the first place. This is all bordered by a residential neighborhood, a golf course, and a city park. If they had thinned the collection and made it attractive, it would have been an asset, but it looks like a big junk yard to me and I am sure the general public hated it.

p.s. previous discussion suggests the city would like to take some of the collection and create a new attraction. I doubt that. Judging from this map, I bet there would be a lot of opposition to the city trying to create a new railway attraction here. I bet the locals would just like the whole thing gone. At a minimum, all the storage and service facilities would have to move out of the city.

I remember how difficult the negotiations were in Minneapolis for both the Stillwater site and the Como-Harriet site. A completely intact right of way for the streetcar existed that would have connected Lake Harriet to a shopping district, but the residential properties did not want it at all.

This would have been pretty obvious based on the Minnesota experience. Lesson not learned.

Pegasuspinto wrote:
There is a LOT of stuff there...a -LOT- of stuff!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AOTTORCH/permalink/1590678637727614/

I mean, there is a LOT OF STUFF!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AOTTORCH/permalink/1590683097727168/

These pictures taken today (Tuesday 7-10 at about 4 PM)

They have not scrapped or moved near as much as it sounds like. For those allergic to facebook, these pictures are rows and rows and deep long rows of cars, out in the woods, not even looking like they have been touched at all. Most of these cars don't look bad at all...almost ready to run and/or display. There just aint no way to get that much stuff moved in the next month, forget the next two days....

Attachments:
File comment: Satellite view of ITM
2018-07-11_09-59-52.jpg
2018-07-11_09-59-52.jpg [ 180.71 KiB | Viewed 12782 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 39  Next