It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hamburg Tram 3557
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 pm 

This morning, Market Street Railway (a non-profit working with SF Muni in support of historic trolley operations in San Francisco) did a blog post on its ex-Brussells European-style PCC streetcar, now painted in Zurich colors. Yours truly replied that it is a pity that Muni's other European tram, Hamburg 3557, continues to be neglected.

The MSR group responded with a thoughtful post, explaining some issues involved in restoring the car for Muni service. The post concludes, "If you know of a museum that would treasure it and operate it, please let us know."

Here is the post in question: https://www.streetcar.org/zurich-car-to-return-soon/

Since I have no connections with any trolley museums interested in acquiring this car, I am providing a link to the post in hopes that someone can step up to save it.

Please do not spam Market Street Railway. Only respond if you can offer something constructive. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hamburg Tram 3557
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:22 am 

I've never been a member, but have visited in the past, like far past, but perhaps National Capital Trolley Museum would be appropriate. They had a fairly extensive collection of foreign cars until that devastating trolley barn fire of, what, 20 years ago (has it been that long already!?). If they have the resources and space it would help them get back some of the international flavor of the operation. Just thinking aloud.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:24 pm 

I'd forgotten about that disaster. As I recall, they had a pretty good collection before the fire but didn't they benefit from a highway relocation a few years back?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm 

They're a real success story - because they planned, communicated, and put themselves in a position to benefit from the forced relocation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:03 pm 

FYI - Hamburg tram 3557 has a twin in the US, 3584 at the Trolley Museum of New York.