It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water towers left?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:41 pm 

Are there any water towers from the "steam days" still extant in the USA.

drumguzi@worldnet.att.net

Post subject: Re: Water towers left?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:57 pm 

> Are there any water towers from the
> "steam days" still extant in the
> USA.

Sure. They are by no means common, but there are a number of survivors still scattered around here and there. Here is just one exmaple among many--

http://wyoshpo.state.wy.us/luskwtr.htm

Other original tanks that leap to mind are those on the Cumbres & Toltoec and Durango and Silverton (Rio Grande) and the tank I just saw in a picture of the West Virgnina Northern railroad yard (track just removed this winter).

Any particular region, style, or railroad you had in mind?

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:22 pm 

There are a number of Southern Pacific tanks extant. I thought I had a link to some photos on Trainorders.com, but apparently I did not. At any rate, a starter page is linked below. I recall seeing a Utah Ry. tank on Trainorders recently also. Utah Ry. used copies of UP 2-10-2s and 2-8-8-0s before dieselizing. I think UP may still have a 100,000 gallon tank standing at Granite, Wyoming also.

http://sptco.railspot.com/Water%20Tanks/water%20tanks.htm
ryarger@rypn.org

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:04 pm 

Hello All

Have to put in my plug for the DL&W's large steel tower that remains in its original location in Stroudsburg, PA (along with original passenger station and interlocking tower).

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:45 pm 

There is a former Frisco (SL-SF) watertank in Beaumont, KS at a former division point there on the line into Wichita, KS from Carthage, MO. The tracks were just removed within the last year or two. Another victim of the BN-SF merger...

Also in Sargents, CO there is a D&RGW tank that served the Marshall Pass line but has been without tracks for years. A moving reminder of a once vital narrow gauge line in the middle of nowhere now....

> Hello All

> Have to put in my plug for the DL&W's
> large steel tower that remains in its
> original location in Stroudsburg, PA (along
> with original passenger station and
> interlocking tower).

> Dave Crosby

wichita_rails@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:56 pm 

The ex Pennsylvania Railroad tank is still standing in Chambersburg, PA. It may have been built by the Cumberland Valley Railroad before the PRR takeover but I am not sure.

The Aberdeen And Rockfish Railroad water tank is still standing at our shop in Aberdeen, NC.

John Bohon

jhbohon@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:56 pm 

Morristown & Erie's tank at Whippany, NJ is still around. The brick base was built in 1903, and the present wooden tank was set in place in 1948 as a replacement for the original.

It was last used by M&E steam locos in 1952. It was later used by the Morris County Central RR for its excursion engines from 1965 until the end of 1973. The M&E's own steam excursion operation, the "Whippany Toonerville RR", used the tank from 1974 until October 1977. It hasn't been filled with water since.

The old tank is starting to get on in years...don't know if any grants are being explored for rehabilitation. M&E still owns the tank...hopefully they might be able to obtain funding to restore the tank someday before it's too late.

Steven.P.Hepler@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:53 pm 

> USA.

The SP wooden water tank at Laws, California, on the narrow gauge Keeler branch is still standing along with the oil tank. The depot site is now maintained by the local historical group that has moved in various local buildings. I am told that the tank is probably a SP tank of the 1890s with cast iron legs that was relocated to the narrow gauge after the SP acquired the C&C.

The similar water tank at Keeler was obtained and dismantled by a railfan. Years later his widow gave it to Orange Empire Railway Museum which is probably going to reassemble it.

Back in 1991 or 1993 I traveled between Alamosa and Santa Fe. One of the water tanks from that portion of the Rio Grande was still standing -- the line having been abandoned in 1941.

BN

bnorden49@earthlink.net

Post subject: Re: Water towers left? *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:58 pm 

The old "Petticoat Junction" water tank in Jamestown, CA on the old Sierra Railway is still in use.

Also California Western Railroad has one in use in Fort Bragg, one at Northspur, and two more which are out of service between Crowley and Willits.

McCloud Railroad also has either one or two left.

Johnathon

http://www.ncry.org
johnathon_kruger@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Water towers left? *PIC*
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:27 am 

> USA.

There's an ex-Reading water tower still standing in East Rockhill, PA, along what's left of the Bethlehem Branch (now operated by the EPRY).

Here's a picture of the water tower that I took from the cab of the EPRY 3153. There used to be a helper siding here, and a phone in order to call the dispatcher. I would love to see a picture of this water tower with a steam locomotive by it.

My cab ride to Quakertown
jrevans@accusort.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:36 am 

If I recall correctly, the tank at the Mid-Continent Railway Museum is ex-Milwaukee Road from Oconomwoc Wisconsin. Being kept upand operable in anticipation of the return of steam in Feb, 2004
> The old "Petticoat Junction" water
> tank in Jamestown, CA on the old Sierra
> Railway is still in use.

> Also California Western Railroad has one in
> use in Fort Bragg, one at Northspur, and two
> more which are out of service between
> Crowley and Willits.

> McCloud Railroad also has either one or two
> left.

> Johnathon

breher1257@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:37 am 

The Santa Fe had a distinctive design of vertical cylindrical steel tank, about 15 feet in diameter and of varying height, between 30 and fifty feet. Examples are still standing at Harper KS and Waynoka OK.
I also believe the UP tank at Speer WY is still standing.

dan-rohrback@cox.net

Post subject: Re: Water towers left....Cass?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:17 am 

Is the big tank at Cass original?

-Alan Levy

AlanL759@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:37 am 

> USA?

There are a few left in Texas mostly along the Orient, T&P, and Sunset lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:14 am 

The last remaining D&RGW standard gauge water tank still stands in South Fork, CO.