It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L and U triple valves
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Who is currently rebuilding these valves... any recommendations? I have several L valves to be rebuilt, and a set of U valves on a car undergoing restoration.

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

Post subject: Re: L and U triple valves
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:31 pm 

We haven't had those rebuilt in a long time. Though when we did, Wabtec Global Services out of Columbia, SC rebuilt them.

There is one employee there that specializes in passenger car valves. Said employee is retiring in 18 months after 30 or 40 years with Wabtec. Not sure if they have someone to take over, I doubt it. We still have D22 valves rebuilt regularly there. Generally, Wabtec will rebuild anything they have built, regardless of age or rarity (to a point), there is just a minimum quantity. Usually pretty steep price wise. I think the U valves have a good chance, can't say for the Ls.

I believe the going rate to have a D22 emergency & service portion, B3 relay, and quick service valve rebuilt is around $800. So I can only assume that those other valves will be more. Hope this helps,

- Walker

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:56 pm 

For U valves I would suggest Multi-Service Supply, Leetsdale, PA. For L valves try Strasburg Railroad.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:31 am 

Try Pittsburgh Air Brake in Carnegie, PA. 412-278-3600. We've used them for years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:25 am 
Site Admin

We have three cars using L-3 triple valves... Those three cars just passed their 2 year single car air tests... one by changing out the L-3 for our spare... We would rather not convert these to ABDW (our otherwise standard brake schedule)...

I have spoken to (and found out)...

Strasburg Rwy Shops... they can repair and test L-3 (but not earlier L-2, but could make a test plate if needed) Fast is more expensive than slow... they have been really responsive and professional...

Multi Service... They can repair, but have had issues with their test rack... they are confirming that they can test, and expect to eventually be able to test again...

Pittsburgh Air Brake... Can repair and test and have an exchange program...

Wabco says they no longer do these triples...

We have a core for an L-3, and can get a core for an L-2.. and one of our cars has an L-2 pipe bracket which we have made an adapter plate to use an L-3 on it... so if we could get the L-2 overhauled it would have some value... )

In all cases this is expensive... I am used to paying to have WABCO repair and test AB segments for about $130.00, the quotes for L-3 range from $389.00 to nearly $1000.00

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:27 am 

Randy Hees wrote:
We have three cars using L-3 triple valves... Those three cars just passed their 2 year single car air tests... one by changing out the L-3 for our spare... We would rather not convert these to ABDW (our otherwise standard brake schedule)...

On passenger cars??

Quote:
We have a core for an L-3, and can get a core for an L-2.. and one of our cars has an L-2 pipe bracket which we have made an adapter plate to use an L-3 on it... so if we could get the L-2 overhauled it would have some value... )

I do not recommend using L3 in place or L2 or vice-versa. The numbers relate to the brake cylinder
(and hence auxiliary reservoir) sizes that the valve was designed for. The internal sizing of the
feed groove, the service (apply and release) ports on the main slide valve and graduating valve,
and the bypass valve (emergency) are based off that. If you put a valve that is designed for a
different size, yeah, it will kinda work, brakes will apply, brakes will release, but some of the finer
nuances such as cylinder pressure in emergency, apply and release times, charging times, etc.
are going to be off.

Quote:
In all cases this is expensive... I am used to paying to have WABCO repair and test AB segments for about $130.00, the quotes for L-3 range from $389.00 to nearly $1000.00

These are not unreasonable prices depending on what needs to be done with the valve.

Have you talked to David G. at OERM?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:06 am 
Site Admin

I had a long talk with Dave G yesterday here in Grass Valley at the Sierra Narrow Gauge conference... and he suggested rebuilding the L2 valve for the older, lighter car. It had been converted to L-3 (via an adapter plate which can be removed) in part because some rebuilder's lacked the plate to test an L-2... and of course Dave had such a plate he will lend us...

Dave recommended either MultiService or Strasburg... So that is the path we will follow.

He is helping us ID our specific U valve. For the restoration and occasional service we will retain what we have.

On conversion to ABDW... our excursion equipment includes a 40' box car with our HEP equipment, a couple of cabooses, and a couple of boxcar/excursion cars, all with AB as built... We also have a Harriman Dining car, converted to work service, now a open car converted by UP to AB, and 4 60' Harriman shells, also work cars with AB one of which will eventually be returned to service as another open car... finally our UP 1947 dinner was converted to AB from D22 using a brake schedule developed by Westinghouse for Ringling Brothers. AB conversions are tempting in part to keep the fleet consistent, and in part because we have spare parts on hand.

Note... our Harriman's are real SP and UP "Common Standard" design cars, not just arched roof passenger cars. The cars with the L-2 and L-3 valves are 3 of the last 4 60' Harriman cars in use on the SP. Dave suspects that they were built with P brake valves and upgraded by SP.

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:47 pm 

I have a mystery valve portion. The body has a casting number "9297" and that's a!l I know about it. I know it's not M23 or 6. I suspect it's a passenger car valve though. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:52 pm 

Can you post a picture of it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 pm 

Dave,

Attachment:
20180609_201947.jpg
20180609_201947.jpg [ 67.15 KiB | Viewed 6694 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:00 pm 

That picture would be of a UC valve service portion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:34 am 

Topfuel wrote:
That picture would be of a UC valve service portion.

I was told that UC stands for Unnecessarily Complicated. I was also told another name for them, unprintable here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:35 am 

Quote:
I was told that UC stands for Unnecessarily Complicated. I was also told another name for them, unprintable here.

Agreed....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:16 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:

It could well be "necessarily complicated", if the other guy has the patent on the simple way...