It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hold on to your hats: The Y6-B trust IS coming!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:10 pm 

Hello Ladies and Gentleman. This should come as no surprise, but I have been heck-bent in promoting the construction of a New N&W Y6-b, I have decided to form a trust, no matter what the public thinks! At the moment, I will not form the trust just yet, but I will begin raising the funds to build this thing, one penny at a time! I've got about $55 dollars and some odd pennies, and these will be going in the bank as my “starting fund.” I get $5 a week from my grandfather, and that will help build up value over time. When I do form the trust, I'll already have some of the money raised to build this thing.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

Post subject: Re: Hold on to your hats: The Y6-B trust IS coming!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:13 pm 

A new N&W Y6b is cool and all but it's a bad idea. Do you how much they weigh I'll tell you almost 1 million pounds and the wheel base is 115 ft. those two things will automatically limit when and where you run it and turn it. 58in drivers means it's slow so that means it can't run on mainline excursions. it sounds good on paper but once you build the thing well.

if you want to go for it and build it then go ahead. I'm telling you it's not a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:22 pm 

I'm putting this in railfanning for now. Write up a solid business plan and fundraising strategy and lets see where this goes. This stuff is a lot harder than many people think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:47 pm 

tweetsie12 wrote:
I get $5 a week from my grandfather, and that will help build up value over time.

Here's an idea. Put the money from your grandfather in a college fund and join your local NRHS. The Winston-Salem group meets monthly, on the second Monday at 8:00 PM at the Southbound Model Railroaders Building on Country Club Road.

http://www.nrhs.com/chapters/winston-salem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:44 pm 

Guys, I think this tweetsie fellow is a troll. Multiple topics basically posting the same nonsense ideas or questions that are so out there and disconnected from reality. There's no way this dude is serious, or at least I truly hope not.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:10 am 

Obviously, very young or without a level of real world experience. If not those, a troll. Golly, $5/week! You must have one heck of an investment plan.
The level of writing leads me to believe this is a very young enthusiast who just picked up a used copy of Ziels, "Twilight of Steam".

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:23 am 

The big question is "Why?"

2156 already exists and could use the attention, why not focus on an existing locomotive over building a new one.

Second, do you have a place to run it? Business plan? Donors? A shop? A team? Plans? Foundry? If the answer to any of those is "no" you have a non starter. You need to get all of that in place before you make a statement that one is on it's way to being built

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:09 pm 

DRCoursey wrote:
Guys, I think this tweetsie fellow is a troll. Multiple topics basically posting the same nonsense ideas or questions that are so out there and disconnected from reality. There's no way this dude is serious, or at least I truly hope not.

Now why do you think that? :( I have ideas, and I do intend on building a new Y6-B.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:22 pm 

Peter Violette wrote:
The big question is "Why?"

2156 already exists and could use the attention, why not focus on an existing locomotive over building a new one.

Second, do you have a place to run it? Business plan? Donors? A shop? A team? Plans? Foundry? If the answer to any of those is "no" you have a non starter. You need to get all of that in place before you make a statement that one is on it's way to being built

Again, I'm working on raising the money at the moment. I'm not forming a trust just yet.
First of all, a plan. To build this thing, I intend on building this thing from the rails up in 4 courses, The Wheels (Which will include the tender trucks), The Frames and running gear, The Boiler and Tender Tank, and to finish off, all the additional things, including the cab and doghouse top of the tender. Next up, Budget. I estimate it will cost 15 to 20 million to build this thing. I'll then look for folks who would be interested in such a project such as metal workers and 3D Modellers who can turn the drawings into Digital 3D models to guide the construction process. And then, once I've gotten that all set up, then the trust will be formed. We'll take 2-3 years for research while searching for a suitable shop and foundary. There. Does that answer your question?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:26 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Obviously, very young or without a level of real world experience. If not those, a troll. Golly, $5/week! You must have one heck of an investment plan.
The level of writing leads me to believe this is a very young enthusiast who just picked up a used copy of Ziels, "Twilight of Steam".

I'm 15. and I don't have too much real world experience. you are correct. However, I do intend on getting a job or volunteer at a tourist railroad or theme park somewhere to help give me some experience with working with the Iron Horse. As I said, I won't be forming the trust for another few years. The earliest I'll form it is by the time I get out of college, if not later.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:30 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
tweetsie12 wrote:
I get $5 a week from my grandfather, and that will help build up value over time.

Here's an idea. Put the money from your grandfather in a college fund and join your local NRHS. The Winston-Salem group meets monthly, on the second Monday at 8:00 PM at the Southbound Model Railroaders Building on Country Club Road.

http://www.nrhs.com/chapters/winston-salem

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually was going to put the money towards my retirement before considering about using some of it for the trust. If I do use any for my trust however, It will likely be a small percentage of my total savings, likely $10.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:34 pm 

steamfan765 wrote:
A new N&W Y6b is cool and all but it's a bad idea. Do you how much they weigh I'll tell you almost 1 million pounds and the wheel base is 115 ft. those two things will automatically limit when and where you run it and turn it. 58in drivers means it's slow so that means it can't run on mainline excursions. it sounds good on paper but once you build the thing well.

if you want to go for it and build it then go ahead. I'm telling you it's not a good idea.

The Biggest issue is: I don't understand. I see what your saying. But the Y6-B's could travel an upwards of 50 MPH. and the top speed is what, 60 or 70? If Mainline Running is going to be a problem, Then I'd try to find Tourist Railroads in the East that COULD handle the massive weight of the brute, as well as permission to run it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:55 pm 

tweetsie12 wrote:
steamfan765 wrote:

The Biggest issue is: I don't understand. I see what your saying. But the Y6-B's could travel an upwards of 50 MPH. and the top speed is what, 60 or 70? If Mainline Running is going to be a problem, Then I'd try to find Tourist Railroads in the East that COULD handle the massive weight of the brute, as well as permission to run it.

You're right, the biggest issue here is that YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND the true scope of the work involved with both restoring a steam engine, and finding a place for it to operate. Whats worse is, despite that, you shrug off the advice of people FAR MORE knowledgeable than you on the matter, and continue on thinking your $5/week + volunteer job is a sufficient enough plan. This is "Liberal Arts College Student majoring in Lesbian Dance Theory" level of delusion here.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:33 pm 

DRCoursey wrote:

You're right, the biggest issue here is that YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND the true scope of the work involved with both restoring a steam engine, and finding a place for it to operate. Whats worse is, despite that, you shrug off the advice of people FAR MORE knowledgeable than you on the matter, and continue on thinking your $5/week + volunteer job is a sufficient enough plan. This is "Liberal Arts College Student majoring in Lesbian Dance Theory" level of delusion here.

I understand I haven't been listening to the advice of others, and I'm sorry. I realize I was being hardheaded and ignorant to the people around me. But If everyone on the form is okay with it, I'm still going to build this thing. I promise to shut up about it though if everybody can forgive me and my ignorance. You definitely had good ideas to form a fire up 1218 or 2156 campaign.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:55 pm 

Being young like you (16), I am not seeing the logic in your plan. It is such a big locomotive. Close to the Big Boy in size. 4014 is going to run on the UP, which has pretty hefty rail. How many tourist railroads have that? Lets try clearance issues like the WMSRR is having with a certain 2-6-6-2... This is a 2-8-8-2. What tourist railroad have connections with the big mainline railroads? You sure as heck aren't going to haul this thing in by truck! Tool car? Shop? What about passenger cars? This machine is going to cost a lot in running costs! YOU WILL NEED BUTTS IN SEATS, AND ALOT OF THEM AT THAT!!! I'm not trying to put you down by any means, I like your ambitions BUT, you need to find the even ground. Build a 7.5 inch gauge replica. Those can be fun! I personally am shooting for a 0-4-2T or 0-4-0T. Much more manaegable.

Respectfully,
Cody Muse