It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Railways of Bermuda
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:34 pm 

The recent update on the Byron Railroad locomotive had a link with a photo of the derelict remains of the Ferry Reach Railroad's 999. That got me curious to look up what I could find about this railroad, and a standard gauge line that was also on that island.

Photos from Brian Roy at Pinterest:

Quote:
"Mainliner" steam loco carrying "FERRY REACH" and "999" markings, with "Utility" battery rail car, taken at Astor's shed and station at Ferry Reach Junction on the North Shore (1951). Mr. William Kitchen, Director of former Bermuda Railway, is at the controls. Steam loco built by Baldwin, wheel arrangement 2-6-2 (but also said to be 2-6-0).

Quote:
Brian Roy
Brian Roy saved to RAILWAYS (1): BERMUDA: Astor's Ferry Reach line
"Displaying a good head of steam, the [miniature] replica Baltimore & Ohio "Mainliner" 2-6-2 [#999 'Ferry Reach'] runs through the Ferry Road Tunnel and into the gardens of Ferry Reach House. This picture was taken during Mr Herbert Biermann's ownership of the line." (p.54 in Pomeroy, C.A., 1993. 'The Bermuda Railway. Gone - but not forgotten!'. Published by the author.) Loco built by Baldwin. Wheel arrangement variously given as 2-6-2 and 2-6-0 (needs checking). Gauge 18".

Quote:
Astor's [miniature] replica Baltimore & Ohio "Mainliner" 2-6-2 [#999 'Ferry Reach'] running through Astor's estate on Ferry Reach. This picture was taken during Mr Herbert Biermann's ownership of the line. Loco built by Baldwin. Wheel arrangement variously given as 2-6-2 and 2-6-0 (needs checking). Gauge 18". Acknowledgement: Bermuda National Museum

Post subject: Re: Railways of Bermuda
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:57 pm 

Quote:
The waterfront side of Astor's house on Ferry Reach, Ferry Id., St.George's, Bermuda. The train in the distance is on his private miniature railway line (18" gauge) which ran from his house to meet the then Bermuda Railway on the North Shore side of Ferry Id. The train is being pulled by his "Mainliner" steam locomotive. Acknowledgement: Bermuda National Museum.

It is nice to have a bit of money.

https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_0002ca.htm

Quote:
Jonathan Cassidy
"A 1951 view of the "Utility" [battery railcar], standing in the open countryside to the North of the Ferry Road Tunnel". This is "a converted mining unit fitted out to carry three passengers - plus the driver." (p.57 in Pomeroy, C.A., 1993. 'The Bermuda Railway. Gone - but not forgotten!'. Published by the author.) Wheel configuration to ascertain.

The battery car today:

What became of this railroad and the standard gauge line?

They became rail trails--bah!!

(Plenty of photos below):

http://www.bermuda-online.org/railway.htm

Last edited by J3a-614 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:15 pm 

The Davenport builder's list contains s/n 2304, 6/1940, 2-6-2T, 18" ga., 6x10" cyls., for Vincent Astor at Ferry Reach, Bermuda.

Apparently #999 was not a Baldwin product.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:38 pm 

David H. Hamley wrote:
The Davenport builder's list contains s/n 2304, 6/1940, 2-6-2T, 18" ga., 6x10" cyls., for Vincent Astor at Ferry Reach, Bermuda.

Apparently #999 was not a Baldwin product.

Fascinating! She was not only a Davenport instead of a Baldwin, but was purchased NEW for this railroad! And styled as a streamliner at that!

Oh my, to repeat what I mentioned before, isn't it nice to have just a little bit of extra money?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:07 pm 

Wow, I had never seen color photos of the 999, now I almost wished I hadn't.

When I first found the locomotive shoved off to the back end of a parking lot, the only paint on it was a small amount of orange paint on what remained of the steam dome cover. I had wrongly assumed it was what remained of a primer coat. Now I know better.

http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=19778

I have heard a lot of people say that some locomotive or another is unrestorable due to its condition, but this one really is. When I last saw it about 10 years ago there were substantial pieces of the frame that would fall off at the merest touch. The same went for the drivers and rods. The stainless steel piston rods and the bronze mechanical lubricator are probably the only things salvageable.

From speaking with the people at the Bermuda Railway Museum, they tried to acquire it years ago but were refused.

The Ferry Reach Railway line has not been converted into a trail. It is on private property and by all accounts the rails, or what is left of them, are still in place.

Roger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:34 am 

Yes, it is a humid, salt water ocean environment. Things don't last.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:12 pm 

R. Hahn wrote:
I have heard a lot of people say that some locomotive or another is unrestorable due to its condition, but this one really is. When I last saw it about 10 years ago there were substantial pieces of the frame that would fall off at the merest touch. The same went for the drivers and rods.
Roger

Where is this locomotive?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:21 pm 

I was there a couple years ago and attempted to visit the 'railway museum'. As I recall it's not much more then a display in a small shop or house,I was unable to visit it because it was closed.

Most of the bridges are still intact paralleling the main 'highway'. (For those who don't know, Bermuda is a small island in the shape of a C or G and in some places not much more then a mile wide. One main road goes from end to end and splits into two roads on some of the wider parts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:15 am 

NS 3322 wrote:
Where is this locomotive?

When I last saw it, it was at the Ferry Reach house on Ferry Road.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 am 

This map might help:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brize/525 ... otostream/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 am 

Google maps as a source to figure out anything remaining is a total bust. For some reason their satellite map of the island looks like something taken with a polaroid camera. Usually their images are sharp enough you can at least pick out a right of way, some are good enough to see rail in the ground.

The miniature railways original route is also listed on their map like it was a footpath. They do have a really good street view of the entire standard gauge rail trail across the island though. You can see the remains of Astor's engine house. It would appear that the private station that connected with the standard gauge railway has been demolished sometime between 2003 and now. Can't see any rail coming out of the engine shed or any indication that the battery powered loco would still be in there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am 

Since we're discussing Bermuda - During World War 2 the US Army sent a pair of rebuilt Brill model 55s for use as freight motors. I am aware that the bodies are reported to be intact in Guyana. Does anybody have accurate data on their prior history and/or the extent of the rebuilding?
GME

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 pm 

Pomeroy, in "The Bermuda Railway, Gone - But Not Forgotten," describes these cars as 300hp units, rebuilt with Cummins systems (of Columbus Indiana) at with 6 cylinder "L" diesel engines, with 1000 rpm and fuel injectors. They were four motor units. They were puchased by the Army in 1935, rebuilt in the late 1930s, #200 was delivered in 1942, and #201 was delivered in 1943. They were rebuilds of either Brill model 55s or 65s.

A photo in the book shows one of the cars as #61 in Guyana.

Regarding surviving Ferry Reach Railway equipment in Bermuda, I have heard this from a member of the 18inch group:
Quote:
The Bermuda Railway Museum closed down a few years ago after the lady who owned it passed away. The most recent photos on the pinterest link were taken by Dr. Ed Harris, director of the Bermuda National Museum, in 12/2016. I believe his visit was prompted by me asking him if the loco is still there, following a visit by a friend a few years earlier when he could not find it. The 2-6-2 is the only piece of rolling stock left on the property, all other items have been removed including the battery railcar which was stored in the shed.

I have seen photos of surviving battery locomotives on railways in the U.K., which are similar as the one used on Astor's railway.

It is interesting that Astor's steam locomotive operated as recently as 1971 by the then owner of the estate, Mr. Herbert Biermann, who died that year (per Pomeroy). It certainly has deteriorated quickly!

I still find myself thinking that this engine could have been built using some parts from a chassis of a WW1 trench locomotive.

O. Anderson
Group owner - 18inch
https://groups.io/g/18inch